The Student Room Group
Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury
Visit website

59.4 Grade Average. What can i do?

Hey guys, in my 3rd year and about to finish. Seems as though my average is 59.4 and I dont know if that is a 2:1 or 2:2 in the university's eyes?

During my 3rd year I had a surgery late in the school year which was a sensitive issue which is why i didn't tell tutors and I wasn't anywhere near by best for a lot of submissions.

I've emailed my uni to tell them about this situation, what do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sounds like you might have grounds to appeal, otherwise that's a 2:2
Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury
Visit website
Original post by Cerdic

Yes, based on what the OP has written there is plenty of grounds for appeals/extenuating circumstances. And seeing as though you're not far away from a 60% overall, which is a 2:1 at my university (don't know if it's different elsewhere) you could definitely get pushed up a bit.

Hope that helps!
Reply 3
Original post by Cerdic

I'm going to try and appeal. Hopefully christ church will allow this.I can get a surgeon to verify my surgery happened.
Reply 4
Your scenario classes as mitigating circumstances, therefore, unless your uni operates on a zero tolerance policy (which no uni does), they cannot ignore the situation you were in. I'd appeal.
Reply 5
Thank you guys, hopefully they accept an appeal. I got a reply from my module leader and he said he isnt sure if there is grounds because the work was marked and submitted but he said to contact the registry which I have done. I hope this all works out, I'm so on edge about all of this.
Reply 6
Original post by boylegend
Thank you guys, hopefully they accept an appeal. I got a reply from my module leader and he said he isnt sure if there is grounds because the work was marked and submitted but he said to contact the registry which I have done. I hope this all works out, I'm so on edge about all of this.

Don't know about your uni, but mine rounds 59.5 up to 60, so you'd only need the tiniest change to go up.
Original post by Cerdic
Don't know about your uni, but mine rounds 59.5 up to 60, so you'd only need the tiniest change to go up.

My university (De Montfort) also classes overall grades as integers and round up 0.5. So I agree that the smallest change can get you up to 60%.
Reply 8
I Know, i'm so close to the 2:1 I really need it desperately. I just hope they'll offer some solution.
I Know, i'm so close to the 2:1 I really need it desperately. I just hope they'll offer some solution.

So does that mean 60% at your university is a 2.1, like my university? Some universities do have different boundaries, but in that case I would definitely see what you can do to get pushed up to the 2.1. Grades ending in .5 should get rounded up so you really only need a tiny improvement and you'll get your 2.1. :yep:

Please let us know how you get on :smile: :h:
Reply 10
Original post by spotify95
So does that mean 60% at your university is a 2.1, like my university? Some universities do have different boundaries, but in that case I would definitely see what you can do to get pushed up to the 2.1. Grades ending in .5 should get rounded up so you really only need a tiny improvement and you'll get your 2.1. :yep:

Please let us know how you get on :smile: :h:

Hey man thanks for all the help! I posting this thread elsewhere asking this question about totally my grades... would you be able to help me with the number crunching? different people have come out with different averages!

Hopefully you can help me. I'm having trouble calculating my final grade for university. at my university you must studying 120 credits worth of modules a year, and your lowest 20 credit module grade from 2nd and 3rd year being ignored.

I was hoping some of you smart people would be able to do some number crunching as I think my average might be wrong, as another girl has come up with a different number! I'll give you a breakdown of my grades. Oh and by the way 3rd year is weighting at 60% and 2nd year at 40%:

2nd year modules:

20 credit module- 40%
40 credit module- 53.50%
20 credit module- 65.60%
20 credit module 68.50%
20 credit module- 38.50%------------- discarded as lowest 20 credit

3rd year modules:

20 credit module- 65%
40 credit module- 58%
40 credit module- 62
20 credit module- 54% --------------discarded as lowest 20 credit

And also, I believe my university rounds up module grades as well if they are .50 or above so you might want to calculate those modules that are at a decimal point rounded up. Thanks so much in advance guys!
Hey man thanks for all the help! I posting this thread elsewhere asking this question about totally my grades... would you be able to help me with the number crunching? different people have come out with different averages!

Hopefully you can help me. I'm having trouble calculating my final grade for university. at my university you must studying 120 credits worth of modules a year, and your lowest 20 credit module grade from 2nd and 3rd year being ignored.

I was hoping some of you smart people would be able to do some number crunching as I think my average might be wrong, as another girl has come up with a different number! I'll give you a breakdown of my grades. Oh and by the way 3rd year is weighting at 60% and 2nd year at 40%:

2nd year modules:

20 credit module- 40%
40 credit module- 53.50%
20 credit module- 65.60%
20 credit module 68.50%
20 credit module- 38.50%------------- discarded as lowest 20 credit

3rd year modules:

20 credit module- 65%
40 credit module- 58%
40 credit module- 62
20 credit module- 54% --------------discarded as lowest 20 credit

And also, I believe my university rounds up module grades as well if they are .50 or above so you might want to calculate those modules that are at a decimal point rounded up. Thanks so much in advance guys!

Hi there, I have had a look for you, and by using the supplied information, have come up with: 59.08%

Breakdown: (splitting 40 credit modules into 2x20)
2nd year: Total mark across all modules: 40+(2*53.5)+65.6+68.5 = 281.1
hence average per module (20 credits): 281.1/5 = 56.2%
3rd year: Total: 65 + (2*58)+(2*62) = 305; average = 305/5 = 61%
Weighted average = (56.2*0.4) + (61*0.6) = 59.08%

I can work out the values again, rounding up the 2nd year module numbers and also rounding up the final weighted total.

Hope that helps.
Reply 12
Hi there, I have had a look for you, and by using the supplied information, have come up with: 59.08%

Breakdown: (splitting 40 credit modules into 2x20)
2nd year: Total mark across all modules: 40+(2*53.5)+65.6+68.5 = 281.1
hence average per module (20 credits): 281.1/5 = 56.2%
3rd year: Total: 65 + (2*58)+(2*62) = 305; average = 305/5 = 61%
Weighted average = (56.2*0.4) + (61*0.6) = 59.08%

I can work out the values again, rounding up the 2nd year module numbers and also rounding up the final weighted total.

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much spotify, please round up all the values if you can!!!!!
Thank you so much spotify, please round up all the values if you can!!!!!

No worries at all.

Using integer values, I think I know where the 59.4% comes from, and the 59.4% is indeed the correct value.

Rounding the 53.5 up to 54, the 65.6 to 66 and the 68.5 to 69 would result in a total (for the 2nd year) as 283, thus dividing by 5 gives an average of 56.6% for the year. This is then rounded up to the nearest integer - 57%.

3rd year values are unaffected, because they are all integers.

A weighted average is: 61*0.6 + 57*0.4 = 59.4%, which is what you stated in the OP.

Basically put, that 40% module in the 2nd year seems to be the problem area; if that was higher you would comfortably be at your 60% and thus your 2.1 :sadnod: :console:

Hope that helps.
Reply 14
No worries at all.

Using integer values, I think I know where the 59.4% comes from, and the 59.4% is indeed the correct value.

Rounding the 53.5 up to 54, the 65.6 to 66 and the 68.5 to 69 would result in a total (for the 2nd year) as 283, thus dividing by 5 gives an average of 56.6% for the year. This is then rounded up to the nearest integer - 57%.

3rd year values are unaffected, because they are all integers.

A weighted average is: 61*0.6 + 57*0.4 = 59.4%, which is what you stated in the OP.

Basically put, that 40% module in the 2nd year seems to be the problem area; if that was higher you would comfortably be at your 60% and thus your 2.1 :sadnod: :console:

Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the help, christ I mean if someone gets 59.4 i'd find it so hard to award them a 2:2. Thats so close! I'm hearing some universities allow some borderline results to be bumped to a 2:1. But I just don't know... feel lost.
Thanks for all the help, christ I mean if someone gets 59.4 i'd find it so hard to award them a 2:2. Thats so close! I'm hearing some universities allow some borderline results to be bumped to a 2:1. But I just don't know... feel lost.

No problem at all, glad I could be of help to you today! :smile:

Yes, if I was awarding the mark I would try and find any reason possible to bump it to 60% - I mean, just 0.1% more would result in an overall grade of 60%/2.1 (assuming the overall percentage would also be an integer).

I think my university might bump up grades if they are very close, but I am unsure... I'll have to check. And I wouldn't know about your university unless I actually had access to the handbook.

Quote from DMU handbook:

Spoiler

So by the looks of it, if your university has a similar procedure, you may get a 2.1 anyway, because your 3rd year was overall higher than 60%. However, I couldn't be certain your university also does this, unless you are able to link in to the regulations handbook.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 16
No problem at all, glad I could be of help to you today! :smile:

Yes, if I was awarding the mark I would try and find any reason possible to bump it to 60% - I mean, just 0.1% more would result in an overall grade of 60%/2.1 (assuming the overall percentage would also be an integer).

I think my university might bump up grades if they are very close, but I am unsure... I'll have to check. And I wouldn't know about your university unless I actually had access to the handbook.

Quote from DMU handbook:

Spoiler

So by the looks of it, if your university has a similar procedure, you may get a 2.1 anyway, because your 3rd year was overall higher than 60%. However, I couldn't be certain your university also does this, unless you are able to link in to the regulations handbook.

Hope that helps :smile:

I think i've found some information ! I'll link it to you from dropbox!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/msck5p4g6sx4i4i/Degree%20Classification%20Rules%20and%20Examples%202014-15.docx?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x1rwehwe7580ozm/GMS%20Supplementary%20Handbook%20Levels%205%20%26%206%202014-15.doc?dl=0

Please let me know what you can discern from that!!!! Thanks ever so much.

Okay, so from what I can see from there:

1) Integer values will be displayed on the transcript but the marks used in the calculations for the overall grade are the actual marks.

2) The calculations that I have done are/were in the correct way - average each year and use the 2:3 ratio for the final grade (i.e. year 2 is 40% and year 3 is 60%). (This is different to my university; DMU uses 25:75 instead.)

3) The final mark that you will have is rounded to the nearest integer

4) A fail will be recorded if:
4a) less than 100 credits at each of year 2 and year 3 are passed
4b) any module receives a mark of less than 35%
4c) average of all modules at each of year 2 and year 3 is below 40%

Thankfully, the 20 credit module in year 2 was 40% (and not any lower) so you should be absolutely fine.

5) When re-sitting, the mark is capped at 40% (again, exactly what DMU do)

From what I have read in the handbook, I cannot see anything saying about increasing the degree classification if you are close to the boundary. So you'd probably have to use mitigating circumstances (as described in the OP) to try and get your marks boosted?

So, using the actual module marks (point 1 in the above list, taken from the handbook) then my first calculation is the one to go with, i.e. 59.08% - which still rounds to 59% :frown:

Hope that helps! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Okay, so from what I can see from there:

1) Integer values will be displayed on the transcript but the marks used in the calculations for the overall grade are the actual marks.

2) The calculations that I have done are/were in the correct way - average each year and use the 2:3 ratio for the final grade (i.e. year 2 is 40% and year 3 is 60%). (This is different to my university; DMU uses 25:75 instead.)

3) The final mark that you will have is rounded to the nearest integer

4) A fail will be recorded if:
4a) less than 100 credits at each of year 2 and year 3 are passed
4b) any module receives a mark of less than 35%
4c) average of all modules at each of year 2 and year 3 is below 40%

Thankfully, the 20 credit module in year 2 was 40% (and not any lower) so you should be absolutely fine.

5) When re-sitting, the mark is capped at 40% (again, exactly what DMU do)

From what I have read in the handbook, I cannot see anything saying about increasing the degree classification if you are close to the boundary. So you'd probably have to use mitigating circumstances (as described in the OP) to try and get your marks boosted?

So, using the actual module marks (point 1 in the above list, taken from the handbook) then my first calculation is the one to go with, i.e. 59.08% - which still rounds to 59% :frown:

Hope that helps! :smile:

Thanks for all of your help honestly. I'll try to get a mitigating circumstance submitted for sure.
Thanks for all of your help honestly. I'll try to get a mitigating circumstance submitted for sure.

No worries - glad I could be of help. :smile: Yeah your best bet would be to use mitigating circumstances, as (from what I have read) there is nothing that says they will boost the grade up from your 59.08%.

Please let me know how it all goes and what mark you do actually receive :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending