The Student Room Group

Shall I continue maths after GCSE? Advice needed!

Maths is definitely my hardest subject, I've worked my ass of for the past 2 years and my exams are next week and if I don't get an A I think I'll cry after all I've put myself through, but if I'm already struggling at GCSE, I know I'll die at A level... will it affect me in the future by not having an A level in maths? I don't know why it's bothering me so much but if I don't continue with maths it'll make me feel so stupid... any advice? :frown:
Reply 1
If you want to do something that requires maths in the future, you need to consider it. Otherwise don't bother. There are other ways to show you're smart (which I bet you are) and it doesn't have to be through maths
Original post by alaskalost
Maths is definitely my hardest subject, I've worked my ass of for the past 2 years and my exams are next week and if I don't get an A I think I'll cry after all I've put myself through, but if I'm already struggling at GCSE, I know I'll die at A level... will it affect me in the future by not having an A level in maths? I don't know why it's bothering me so much but if I don't continue with maths it'll make me feel so stupid... any advice? :frown:

Hi! If it is that hard already then you will find it extremely challenging at A level. Having said that I don't think it is impossible to succeed at it at A level. I think you need to ask yourself what you really want to do both at A level and more specifically at uni. Will that involve the use of A level Maths? Just my thoughts..
if you're planning to pursue in the field of engineering, yes ! Maths is a core subject plus, some might even take Double Maths . But even if you plan to pursue in the field that's unrelated with maths, taking this subject in A level will definitely provide you with the skills of deciphering problems - even with numbers ! You'll unconsciously learn this from deriving formula and etc.
Yeah, it's hard, but it's really worth it mate !
See how your results go first before making any final decisions. However if you're finding it very hard at GCSE, you will find it harder at A level. Do you enjoy maths?

My advice to everyone is do what you enjoy at A level. Not studying maths at A level is not the be all and end all!

Do you have a specific career you're aiming for though? As someone else mentioned above.
Reply 5
Original post by cuppa
If you want to do something that requires maths in the future, you need to consider it. Otherwise don't bother. There are other ways to show you're smart (which I bet you are) and it doesn't have to be through maths

Thankyou, I needed to hear that, numbers were just never my thing but I've tried so hard to try and be good at it
Reply 6
Original post by AlgebraKing
Hi! If it is that hard already then you will find it extremely challenging at A level. Having said that I don't think it is impossible to succeed at it at A level. I think you need to ask yourself what you really want to do both at A level and more specifically at uni. Will that involve the use of A level Maths? Just my thoughts..

I don't have any real interest in taking maths further than a level at all, but I have no idea what I want to do in the future so I though that Maths would be a good back up, but I just hate the subject, I really don't want to hate it but I do!
Reply 7
Original post by TheIrrational
See how your results go first before making any final decisions. However if you're finding it very hard at GCSE, you will find it harder at A level. Do you enjoy maths?

My advice to everyone is do what you enjoy at A level. Not studying maths at A level is not the be all and end all!

Do you have a specific career you're aiming for though? As someone else mentioned above.

Sometimes I like it but sometimes I don't, I just don't understand why I can't do it sometimes, but maths isn't really my area, I love history and english and law and I don't want to make myself miserable by doing maths for the next two years, and if I struggle like crazy I'm just going to hate my life and will it even be worth it... i'm not even sure if getting the A grade at GCSE will actually be worth all the crap I put myself through to even get a decent grade! Thank you for the response!
Reply 8
If you're more of a humanities person don't take maths! It seems like at the news of the day you'd be more likely to pursue an art degree so instead just put all that effort into something you enjoy MOST of the time!
Original post by alaskalost
Sometimes I like it but sometimes I don't, I just don't understand why I can't do it sometimes, but maths isn't really my area, I love history and english and law and I don't want to make myself miserable by doing maths for the next two years, and if I struggle like crazy I'm just going to hate my life and will it even be worth it... i'm not even sure if getting the A grade at GCSE will actually be worth all the crap I put myself through to even get a decent grade! Thank you for the response!

From what you've said, my personal opinion is don't do maths and do subjects you enjoy and would feel happy studying outside of lessons. As I said before, maths is not the be all and end all subject - if you have no plans on studying a STEM (or economics/finance) subject at university, the it may not be worth it.

Obviously you get the final say on whether or not you do it, but do something you enjoy!
ok.
firstly, everyone's brains and skills are different. not only are you NOT stupid if you find maths hard or just flat out arent passionate about it, but you can pursue so many other areas and be successful.
if money/job security is a big deal to you then there are plenty of jobs that dont require maths, such as in areas of law and management and many more
if youre just thinking about your happiness and enjoyment i would say definitely do not force yourself to do maths if it will make you unhappy! A level is a BIG step up, and if you study a subject you already feel nervous about it could make things quite unpleasant for two years.
from the sound of things you are hard working and driven, so you may well be able to make it work, but its really not the end of the world if the idea is just too scary/unappealing.

one thing i will say, and i KNOW my experience will not be the same as everyone elses, but I found gcse maths horrible and was constantly asking to be moved down from set 2 to 3. they decided to move me up to set 1 instead and i thought they really had it in for me. i did manage to get an A which really considering how hard i found it was pretty miraculous, but most of my class got A* so it felt less special.

then for some reason, i decided to do it at A level, planning to drop it after AS (i think because of the same reason you mention, because not doing it might make me somehow feel stupid). i was sure i would fail, but for some reason i just clicked with it, and now maths is probably my favourite subject, and the one i got my highest UMS in.
so choose wisely, pay attention to your feelings and your own personal happiness, but if you DO end up studying maths A level for whatever reason, then i guess have faith in yourself and know that just because it was a struggle at gcse it doesnt mean youre doomed.

i dont want this to sound like im telling you to do maths and not pay attention to your fears, but yeah, do think carefully about this, which im sure youre already doing :smile: good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by EmergencyBagels
ok.
firstly, everyone's brains and skills are different. not only are you NOT stupid if you find maths hard or just flat out arent passionate about it, but you can pursue so many other areas and be successful.
if money/job security is a big deal to you then there are plenty of jobs that dont require maths, such as in areas of law and management and many more
if youre just thinking about your happiness and enjoyment i would say definitely do not force yourself to do maths if it will make you unhappy! A level is a BIG step up, and if you study a subject you already feel nervous about it could make things quite unpleasant for two years.
from the sound of things you are hard working and driven, so you may well be able to make it work, but its really not the end of the world if the idea is just too scary/unappealing.

one thing i will say, and i KNOW my experience will not be the same as everyone elses, but I found gcse maths horrible and was constantly asking to be moved down from set 2 to 3. they decided to move me up to set 1 instead and i thought they really had it in for me. i did manage to get an A which really considering how hard i found it was pretty miraculous, but most of my class got A* so it felt less special.

then for some reason, i decided to do it at A level, planning to drop it after AS (i think because of the same reason you mention, because not doing it might make me somehow feel stupid). i was sure i would fail, but for some reason i just clicked with it, and now maths is probably my favourite subject, and the one i got my highest UMS in.
so choose wisely, pay attention to your feelings and your own personal happiness, but if you DO end up studying maths A level for whatever reason, then i guess have faith in yourself and know that just because it was a struggle at gcse it doesnt mean youre doomed.

i dont want this to sound like im telling you to do maths and not pay attention to your fears, but yeah, do think carefully about this, which im sure youre already doing :smile: good luck!

thankyou, sounds like you were in a similar situation! I'll wait until results day and speak to some people at the college to understand more about maths at A level :smile:
Since you are struggling, I will say no.

Don't do things because of their prestige, stick with what you know.

Quick Reply

Latest