The Student Room Group

Will I be able to resit a module of A2 maths next year to complete my course?

The M3 exam went terribly for me. I wouldn't be surprised if I were to get an E and I, as someone trying to get an A in Further Maths, have been thinking a lot. I wanted to, if I didn't get into my chosen university, resit my M3 exam on the following year and do the final 6 modules on top of this next year to get a third A level in maths.

Is this possible? I have heard that next year will force A level students to do either only AS or all A2 exams at once. Will I have to do all of my further maths exams again in order to get the A level or is it all going to change to the point where the is no longer modules?

Also, since I'm posting this, would doing a third A level in maths be worth it? I would be doing FP3, D2, S3, S4, M4 and M5 in one year as well as resitting M3. I'll also be doing it on my own.

Thanks, and if this is in the wrong place then I'm sorry.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
http://www.cife.org.uk/FAQs-about-A-level-retakes.html

I personally think that if you can see yourself studying enough and coping with the workload, then go for it! It sounds like you need some encouragement anyway! But seriously, only you can know how much time you have spare, and how quickly you pick things up - don't underestimate yourself or let others dissuade you from doing what you know deep down you can achieve... (we all have bad exam experiences)
Original post by BobFredric
The M3 exam went terribly for me. I wouldn't be surprised if I were to get an E and I, as someone trying to get an A in Further Maths, have been thinking a lot. I wanted to, if I didn't get into my chosen university, resit my M3 exam on the following year and do the final 6 modules on top of this next year to get a third A level in maths.

Is this possible? I have heard that next year will force A level students to do either only AS or all A2 exams at once. Will I have to do all of my further maths exams again in order to get the A level or is it all going to change to the point where the is no longer modules?

Also, since I'm posting this, would doing a third A level in maths be worth it? I would be doing FP3, D2, S3, S4, M4 and M5 in one year as well as resitting M3. I'll also be doing it on my own.

Thanks, and if this is in the wrong place then I'm sorry.

The A level syllabus is not changing in Sept 2015, it does not change until Sept 2017. You have several years of opportunities to retake maths exams with no changes to the existing rules.

As to "worth it", a third A level in maths would only have value if you planned to to take a very maths centric course at university. The cost of 7 exams as an independent candidate could be anything from about £20 per unit to the sky is the limit depending on where you find a place to take them. Very few schools bother with AFM units so an expensive private centre might be your only option.
Reply 3
Original post by Viggi
http://www.cife.org.uk/FAQs-about-A-level-retakes.html

I personally think that if you can see yourself studying enough and coping with the workload, then go for it! It sounds like you need some encouragement anyway! But seriously, only you can know how much time you have spare, and how quickly you pick things up - don't underestimate yourself or let others dissuade you from doing what you know deep down you can achieve... (we all have bad exam experiences)

Nice, thanks! I'm already excited! Maths whether I get into uni or not :3.
Reply 4
Original post by gdunne42
The A level syllabus is not changing in Sept 2015, it does not change until Sept 2017. You have several years of opportunities to retake maths exams with no changes to the existing rules.

As to "worth it", a third A level in maths would only have value if you planned to to take a very maths centric course at university. The cost of 7 exams as an independent candidate could be anything from about £20 per unit to the sky is the limit depending on where you find a place to take them. Very few schools bother with AFM units so an expensive private centre might be your only option.

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I'll have to look around a bit, really hoping there will be somewhere doing it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending