The Student Room Group

Why is a gay parents rights more important than a religious persons rights

In 2015 britain???
Me im not religious but i find the attitude of atheists and people that always make jokes about religious people mainly against muslims,catholics and christians worse than homophobia..
Why is a gay persons rights more important than a religious persons rights?
Surely pro gays and atheists you are doing to them what you claim they are do you???
When they speak out against homosexuality they atleast do it politely and try to get you to understand where they are coming from.
All i hear from you lot is labeling them homophobic,telling them they worship an "imaginary person in the sky" and vile language.
Why are religious views no longer taken into consideration

Scroll to see replies

because religious people kill others
Original post by Straighthate

never knew stalin was religious
Original post by matthewduncan
In 2015 britain???
Me im not religious but i find the attitude of atheists and people that always make jokes about religious people mainly against muslims,catholics and christians worse than homophobia..
Why is a gay persons rights more important than a religious persons rights?
Surely pro gays and atheists you are doing to them what you claim they are do you???
When they speak out against homosexuality they atleast do it politely and try to get you to understand where they are coming from.
All i hear from you lot is labeling them homophobic,telling them they worship an "imaginary person in the sky" and vile language.
Why are religious views no longer taken into consideration

This is the problem, many don't. I'm sure most people wouldn't have an issue with religious people expressing their views if it is done politely, considerately and maturely.
Original post by Straighthate

See what i mean
I agree with you OP, some people(mostly on the internet) have a complete lack of respect for people's religious views.

I suppose it stems from the fact that religion is a choice and has very little scientific evidence to back it up whereas homosexuality is generally regarded as something you do not choose and is biological.
People should very rarely make jokes in a context in which they will offend. It's very tough to justify making offensive jokes about religion. With that said, it's much easier to make religion the butt of a joke without being offensive than it is to make a gay person the butt of a joke without being homophobic.
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
People should very rarely make jokes in a context in which they will offend. It's very tough to justify making offensive jokes about religion. With that said, it's much easier to make religion the butt of a joke without being offensive than it is to make a gay person the butt of a joke without being homophobic.

Which brings me back to the point of them doing to religious people what they claim religious people do to them.
i generally think atheists would rather offend religious people than vice versa
(edited 8 years ago)
The difference between gay rights and religious rights is that the former has never endangered another person.
Gay people definetly exist, god does't. Why should someone have extra rights or get to veto the rights of others for believing in sometihng which may not be real?
Original post by Skip_Snip
Gay people definetly exist, god does't. Why should someone have extra rights or get to veto the rights of others for believing in sometihng which may not be real?

Religious people do not get "extra rights." Gay people and religious people should obviously have the same rights. This is more about treating people respectfully no matter what they believe in. That does not mean you cannot disagree, but some people are very rude and dismissive of religious views.

Besides, for some people, religion is a way of life, not just a belief.
The difference is that being gay isn't an opinion like being religious is. If people aren't allowed to make jokes about people's religious beliefs than they can't make jokes about people liking One Direction or thinking that the plural of octopus is octopi.
Technically I do consider religious views when talking about homosexuality and gay rights - I consider homophobia to be disgusting and stupid whether it comes from religion or not, and not something that is worthy of any respect.

There are people who genuinely think homosexuality is "unnatural", a "perversion", gay couples shouldn't be able to adopt, and who compare homosexuality to paedophilia and bestiality. Those people are homophobic, which is different to those concerned about the "definition of marriage" (even if I myself disagree with them).

The right for gays to be protected from discrimination and have equal rights overrules the "right" of homophobes to discriminate. And let's not be in any doubt, some people would love it if discrimination against gays became a thing again.

Those people are entitled to hold and express those views, but they can't cry about it when their views get criticised, and when they lose a debate or referendum.
Original post by Skip_Snip

But could you not say the same thing about homosexuality and why should religious people have their rights vetoed because if a choice.
What with the fact that there is no gay gene or substantial evidence they are born that way.
Its apples and oranges mate
(edited 8 years ago)
I think jokes about religion aren't bad, as I believe in freedom of speech. However, I wish some people were less aggressive when arguing about religion and its followers.
Assuming the root of the thread is around gay adoption/parentage, I think 'rights' extend to the point at which your behaviour impinges on someone else's reasonably-held rights. So, a homosexual religious person is free to not adopt a child themselves if they disagree with it, but they should not be able to stop someone else from doing so.

I also think any chosen belief system is open to be criticised, especially when it has influence beyond the holder's head. If religion was all about what's going on inside Johnny's head, fair enough. But when Johnny is trying to stop Jimmy from doing something because Johnny's religion is against it, it stops being personal choice.

Religion should be given no more protection from criticism than a person's political affiliation, or choice of football team.
(edited 8 years ago)
@OP; Because all those little boys the church abused now run the government and make the laws :h:
Reply 17
I'm no fan of organised religion either, but that's just left wing bias for you, welcome to post WWII western society, a civilisation on the decline!
There is a difference though? Homosexuality - not a belief or choice, religion - both of those things. Why do you need evidence? Seriously? Like, I'm gay, I am telling you I did not choose to be this way. Just like you did not wake up one day and go, "I think I will like women for the rest of my life". Seriously. People as jaded as you literally make no sense.

Also, religious people deserve the same rights and freedom of speech as homosexuals but religious people tend to shove their doctrine down our throats? I had a religious American guy approach me on the street and he began slating me for my "lifestyle choices" because I'm gay. An earlier poster got it right - the point is, a lot of religious people who speak out don't do it peacefully. They endorse corruption.
Reply 19
You can choose your religion, you can't choose your sexuality.

Quick Reply

Latest