The Student Room Group

What is the Theatre IB?

I have signed up for Theatre SL. Is it a good/interesting/fun course? what do you study in class?
How easy is it to get a good grade? (I don't know much about theatre) Thanks in advance!
Original post by Jennifer579
I have signed up for Theatre SL. Is it a good/interesting/fun course? what do you study in class?
How easy is it to get a good grade? (I don't know much about theatre) Thanks in advance!

Hiya!

Theatre Arts was my favourite subject to me in IB. You explore theatrical genres from all over the world. Being in class was really fun to me, cause it's one of the classes that you learn by experimenting. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of reading, and not just plays. Whenever we were exploring a new genre, say Greek Theatre, we read books, journals and plays related to it. Not just Greek Theatre, but Greek Culture in general. Cause as you start studying Theatre, you will realising that theatre reflects culture and society. We also read books about technical theatre; stage lighting, sound, costume design etc..., when we were doing a technical theatre project. It's a pretty decent subject when it comes to grading so you should be fine.

Overall it's a great way to get to know cultures, philosophies and history. Moreover, I even did my EE in Theatre Arts and I really enjoyed it. Hope that was helpful and good luck with your studies!
:biggrin:
Original post by Jennifer579

I've just finished the first year of the Theatre IB course and I have loved it so much! The only downside is that there isn't as much acting involved with the A level course (in my school anyway), however I have learnt about so many different aspects of theatre and it has really motivated and inspired me to look at many different genres of theatre and different ways to provoke an emotion within an audience.

So far we have started 2 components of the coursework and I am doing my solo research piece on Stanislavski, loving every minute of it. The course really is very very interesting and enables you to have a broad overview of theatre and different practitioners such as Artaud and look further in aspects of Brecht and Stan!

There is no exam for the theatre course which means as long as you work hard to meet the exam criteria for each part of the coursework you'll get at least a 6!

Hope you're looking forward to it!!
Original post by shausutton
I've just finished the first year of the Theatre IB course and I have loved it so much! The only downside is that there isn't as much acting involved with the A level course (in my school anyway), however I have learnt about so many different aspects of theatre and it has really motivated and inspired me to look at many different genres of theatre and different ways to provoke an emotion within an audience.

So far we have started 2 components of the coursework and I am doing my solo research piece on Stanislavski, loving every minute of it. The course really is very very interesting and enables you to have a broad overview of theatre and different practitioners such as Artaud and look further in aspects of Brecht and Stan!

There is no exam for the theatre course which means as long as you work hard to meet the exam criteria for each part of the coursework you'll get at least a 6!

Hope you're looking forward to it!!

I'm glad that you're enjoying it. Only from the post I understood that you are starting next year! And I graduated in 2012 lol

Oh Stainslavski! I remember doing a comparative study in class, we did Romanticism vs. Realism, it was really good! After that we moved to Epic Theatre, and studies Brecht, which was also fun. We didn't come across Artaud while in IB, but I personally went on and read "The Theatre and It's Double".
My "Research Investigation" was on Peking Opera, I was looking at how will an actor use Chinese movement conventions in order to portray sets and objects that are not visible on stage, I would say this and my independent project were the best part of Theatre Arts.

Let me know if you need any assistance regarding the course or any other aspect of IB. Good luck!:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest