The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Holy crap only 13 days left?? XD This UKCAT has made me forget all about As level results hahahah! Not too worried though so it's all guuud ^_^
Original post by C0balt
If I were born like a month and a half later, I'd be in their year but I guess first year of new syllabus isn't nice either. No past paper and you don't know what to expect.

Gosh I did that mA thing, I can't kick myself enough for that. I realised it was parallel, but I still managed to mess up because lol, my brain was off to holiday already apparently. I'm sure I lost a few for wordy questions as well. Unit 2 I forgot to subtract angle to get theta etc too :facepalm: oh well, we can only wish for low boundaries now lol
What was mm about? I hope I didn't do that lol

I did same except D1 instead of S2 but with AQA. AQA FP1 indeed was a bit of a beast, which is the result I'm second most worried about.

Edexcel chemistry was soooo nice as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The mm thing was the resistivity calculation - possibly one of the most basic things in the bloody spec and I screw it up. I just put in the value for mm and forgot to convert it. You probably didn't screw it up as I doubt you're as prone to careless error as me! :tongue:
The thing with parallel resistance was those tubes of copper and aluminium metal. I think the very last question where you had to do power loss:

http://bit.ly/1I5GnMM

Although I was quite proud with myself with getting sss for the quark combination and the 6 marker was nice too! I honestly thought that paper was nice up until the electricity. Grrrrr...! :angry:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by IrishChick
Hey!!

Not long to go now! I hope you all get the grades you need for your University courses, the very best of luck. I am an A2 student myself and the nerves are starting to kick in. Any AQA A2 students who sat the French exam, any ideas on grade boundaries, lower or higher than last year when it was 93/110 raw marks for an A?
Thank you! :biggrin:

Hey! I did A2 AQA French :biggrin: I think that the grade boundaries will be lower tbh. I found the exam much harder than all the past papers, and from what I've seen lots of people felt the same. A lot of people might have struggled with the new types of questions that they introduced too, and they took out a lot of the types where it was easy to get full marks (i.e: the first listening question). I don't really know what would be a reasonable guess, but I do think it'll be lower. :redface: What do you think?

Additionally, I don't know how true this is, but I've heard they have made the language exams harder on purpose in order to make more of a distinction between grades, and because there were complaints over how low the percentage of A* grades were. If this is true, the grade boundaries might end up looking very different. Hopefully it'll work in our favour if so!
Original post by IrishChick
Hey!!

Not long to go now! I hope you all get the grades you need for your University courses, the very best of luck. I am an A2 student myself and the nerves are starting to kick in. Any AQA A2 students who sat the French exam, any ideas on grade boundaries, lower or higher than last year when it was 93/110 raw marks for an A?
Thank you! :biggrin:

I did aqa a2 french! I really hope theyre lower than last year as i made such silly mistakes and generally found the paper harder than past papers. How did you find it ??
Original post by C0balt
If I were born like a month and a half later, I'd be in their year but I guess first year of new syllabus isn't nice either. No past paper and you don't know what to expect.

Gosh I did that mA thing, I can't kick myself enough for that. I realised it was parallel, but I still managed to mess up because lol, my brain was off to holiday already apparently. I'm sure I lost a few for wordy questions as well. Unit 2 I forgot to subtract angle to get theta etc too :facepalm: oh well, we can only wish for low boundaries now lol
What was mm about? I hope I didn't do that lol

I did same except D1 instead of S2 but with AQA. AQA FP1 indeed was a bit of a beast, which is the result I'm second most worried about.

Edexcel chemistry was soooo nice as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you think will be the cap for full ums in fp1?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by taikibansei
Those sound like really interesting subjects! Law sounds really hard though, I remember overhearing some Year 12s talking about something they were studying on the bus and I felt so lost! Film studies sounds awesome too! What do you do for film studies? I did Media Studies and we did a bit on film and those were definitely the parts I loved most. I'm jealous! Good luck! I hope everything goes well for you :biggrin: I did French, Art, English Lit and Media Studies, and I'm hoping to go to the university of Birmingham. :smile:

It's one of those gems that definitely deserves its hype! I really hope you enjoy it too. If you liked Breaking Bad, it is quite dark in the same way, although without quite as much dark humour (but the first few episodes do have their moments). It looks a lot into human nature too, as Breaking Bad does. :h:

My first choice is Birmingham!!!!!!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Cadherin
The mm thing was the resistivity calculation - possibly one of the most basic things in the bloody spec and I screw it up. I just put in the value for mm and forgot to convert it. You probably didn't screw it up as I doubt you're as prone to careless error as me! :tongue:
The thing with parallel resistance was those tubes of copper and aluminium metal. I think the very last question where you had to do power loss:

http://bit.ly/1I5GnMM

Although I was quite proud with myself with getting sss for the quark combination and the 6 marker was nice too! I honestly thought that paper was nice up until the electricity. Grrrrr...! :angry:

Yeah AQA was brutal, particle part was relatively nasty compared to past (too many strange particles lol) but I got them and I was like oh babe I got this **** when I saw the six marker...but nope electricity :colonhash: I worked my ass off for electricity too, and so I was so devastated lol

Oh I think I got that resistivity right. The parallel one I got wrong because I did 1/6R instead of 6/R if I remember correctly lol. Hopefully a credit for looking like I worked out as parallel or using power equation XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
I'm applying for Edinburgh, Durham, Bristol and somewhere else probably Sheffield. Edinburgh is the likely second choice :tongue:

I'm a fan of small town but not a complete countryside :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're all really good! Apart from Cam, UCL, Imperial, I was thinking of Leeds for fourth option as they do BMAT. (You're only allowed 4 med options). I keep being told how risky this is as BMAT results aren't until after interview, but I really really want to avoid UKCAT if possible.

I saw a medicine mock interview from Emmanuel and literally the whole thing was cell biology/biochemistry - an absolute dream interview for me! :tongue: If they ask me about medical ethics or physics I'm screwed though haha!
Original post by ekk123
My first choice is Birmingham!!!!!!!

Amazing!! What a small world :biggrin: What are you hoping to study!
Original post by Mitzy09
What do you think will be the cap for full ums in fp1?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say same as last year
Although I hope for a few marks lower than last year because the FP1 thread unanimously agreed it was harder this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Yeah AQA was brutal, particle part was relatively nasty compared to past (too many strange particles lol) but I got them and I was like oh babe I got this **** when I saw the six marker...but nope electricity :colonhash: I worked my ass off for electricity too, and so I was so devastated lol

Oh I think I got that resistivity right. The parallel one I got wrong because I did 1/6R instead of 6/R if I remember correctly lol. Hopefully a credit for looking like I worked out as parallel or using power equation XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

And where was all the quantum??!! I revised that so so heavily as well haha and there were about 2 marks on it. Sod's law!

My mistake with the parallel was doing 1/R for the central one and, overthinking that the six were all parallel relative to each other, I managed to do 1/6*R instead of 6*1/R.

Edit: Just realised I made exactly the same error as you! My physics teacher thinks it's unlikely I'll get credit for it.
(edited 8 years ago)
They're all really good! Apart from Cam, UCL, Imperial, I was thinking of Leeds for fourth option as they do BMAT. (You're only allowed 4 med options). I keep being told how risky this is as BMAT results aren't until after interview, but I really really want to avoid UKCAT if possible.

I saw a medicine mock interview from Emmanuel and literally the whole thing was cell biology/biochemistry - an absolute dream interview for me! :tongue: If they ask me about medical ethics or physics I'm screwed though haha!

So are you applying for biochemistry or something for fifth?

Oh god ethics...I had enough ethics discussion with EPQ class lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey! I did A2 AQA French :biggrin: I think that the grade boundaries will be lower tbh. I found the exam much harder than all the past papers, and from what I've seen lots of people felt the same. A lot of people might have struggled with the new types of questions that they introduced too, and they took out a lot of the types where it was easy to get full marks (i.e: the first listening question). I don't really know what would be a reasonable guess, but I do think it'll be lower. :redface: What do you think?

Additionally, I don't know how true this is, but I've heard they have made the language exams harder on purpose in order to make more of a distinction between grades, and because there were complaints over how low the percentage of A* grades were. If this is true, the grade boundaries might end up looking very different. Hopefully it'll work in our favour if so!

Phew!! :biggrin: You have no idea how relieved I am to hear that other people have found it difficult. I found it very tricky, the translations from English to French, I didn't think were too bad but the French to English I think was a lot trickier than before. They definitely have taken out the relatively easy listening questions, they were really difficult! I was quite happy with the essay question, we did "Kiffe Kiffe Demain", what topic/book did you study? :smile: *relieved student :biggrin:*
Original post by C0balt

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I'm applying for Biomed as my fifth choice (I'm doing Medicine) do I need to write a separate personal statement for that too >.>? I'm guessing so but...
Original post by C0balt

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, Nottingham for Biochemistry with Genetics for fifth. They accept early A-levels too as part of the offer, so was wondering if I should put Nottingham as second or third medicine choice instead. Saves me having to work my backside off in physics next year then getting an exam like PHYA1 (and then a not particularly hard but weird one like PHYA2).
And where was all the quantum??!! I revised that so so heavily as well haha and there were about 2 marks on it. Sod's law!

My mistake with the parallel was doing 1/R for the central one and, overthinking that the six were all parallel relative to each other, I managed to do 1/6*R instead of 6*1/R.

Edit: Just realised I made exactly the same error as you! My physics teacher thinks it's unlikely I'll get credit for it.

IKR I memorized the bloody photoelectric six marker points and they were like LOLNOPE

I didn't even think it through like you, I just spontaneously lost my mathematical ability and thought 1/R+1/R+1/R....=1/6R :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Pedro K.
If I'm applying for Biomed as my fifth choice (I'm doing Medicine) do I need to write a separate personal statement for that too >.>? I'm guessing so but...

Nope, one PS for ALL your choices! Which is why the UCAS system is so unfair - they should let us apply to 5 med schools in such case.
Amazing!! What a small world :biggrin: What are you hoping to study!

Ikr! And Human Biology :smile: but ill definitely continue with my French somehow, maybe join the french society. You applied for accommodation? Im hoping to be on the vale, might see you in september!!! :biggrin:
Nope, one PS for ALL your choices! Which is why the UCAS system is so unfair - they should let us apply to 5 med schools in such case.

But I remember my brother writing a separate personal statement for Anatomical sciences despite doing Medicine as the main thing?
Original post by Don Pedro K.
But I remember my brother writing a separate personal statement for Anatomical sciences despite doing Medicine as the main thing?

I think some uni allow you to send them a separate ps

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest