The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by steph_b96
On the day I was desperate so I ended up phoning loads of universities through clearing, unfortunately there was no course/uni I was happy with so I decided to take a gap year and retake my a levels - I was super sad about it at first but i've gained so much more knowledge and experience this year I'm actually grateful I failed last year! My parents were all right about it all and they just wanted me to be happy, so perfectly understood when I said I wanted to be home for another year and go to college :-) it took me about two weeks after results day to decide to take a gap year, as there were still spaces going in clearing, but it gave me time to think during those weeks and I would definitely recommend a gap year to anyone now even if you're just doing part time work or something!

I hope the 13th goes well for you though, and i'm sure you'll make a good decision and be happy whatever happens as there are so many options available ! :h:

Thanks
What did you end up doing in your gap year?
I don't really want to go to lessons (cos I feel that I know most of it), so I'd only want to go in if I were to take a new subject. But I'm not sure what to do if I don't go to school.

Gotta hope my parents are as cool as it with yours....
Original post by SuperSah
Tight?! More like generous!

I'm literally on my own from here on out, no monthly money, only my loan, bursaries and money from my temp Summer job is going to cover me.

Everything else, including fees, stuff I need etc. and even clothes are all coming from my pocket.

I'm just happy because the rest of the stuff I need, bedding, stationary and a lil' bit of other things won't cost more than £150-£200 anyways, so it's not all bad, I guess, just gotta buy a one way ticket, get some more clothing and ensure I have at least £300 for freshers in case Student Finance decide to screw me over a few days.

Consider yourself extremely lucky.

Don't worry, i'm never complaining ever again aha. Which uni are you going to? :smile:
Original post by taikibansei
Earlier it suddenly set in that I'm leaving the secondary school I've been to for 7 years, and classmates I've known since Reception :eek: That's kind of sad, I guess we do have to move on though :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in the same boat, i've probably lost all my social skills by now :h:
Original post by sombm
Did you do Italian/German Unification for Unit 1 and did you do Henry VIII for Unit 2 (Source)?

Ah no I did, Russia in Revolution and Stalin's Russia for unit 1 and then Britain and Ireland for unit 2, sorry about that man, what makes you think you have done so badly?
Hi guys,
I did my rs as level a year early and am on holiday on the 13th, anyone know how I could get my results online? Thanks
Original post by aLittleBookWorm
I didn't think it could get any worse but here we are :eek:

What board is this? Sounds awful!

OCR haha
The approaching single digits terrify me.
Original post by Hayley Williams
I'm in the same boat, i've probably lost all my social skills by now :h:

Right, it's sooo easy to get too comfortable! We'll get thrown in in the deep end now :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Earlier it suddenly set in that I'm leaving the secondary school I've been to for 7 years, and classmates I've known since Reception :eek: That's kind of sad, I guess we do have to move on though :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I remember the feeling when I left people I'd known since reception in Y11 to attend a different sixth form; I've also lost friends whilst studying at this Sixth Form :redface:

Can't imagine losing everyone all at once, aaaaaaaaaah, such a fate I can only look forward to
Original post by Zer0.
OCR haha

Never thought I'd see the day when AQA English actually sounded nice but thank god my school goes with them 😂😂😂
No worries! They sound really interesting! I still really respect you for doing law though, haha. How do you think they went for you? :h:
Thank you! That's really sweet of you to say :smile: I'm sure you're more than good enough! Art was sooo much work and I constantly felt behind, but it was really worth it and I adored it. French was difficult too and there was a massive jump from GCSE, but it's much more interesting at the same time. Thank you very much! Leicester is good too, one of the most brilliant people I know is hoping to go there. Maybe you'll cross paths! I'm really sorry, I don't remember what subject you said you were going to study :redface: Which was it, if you don't mind me asking? :biggrin:

Oh yay! I'm really glad you're enjoying it! It does get much more complex as it goes on so maybe it'll suck you in. At the moment, I'm watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dexter and Twin Peaks. They're all series I've seen episodes of but not chronologically. They're so good! What kind of shows do you like?

:woo: This year is going so fast! It's a shame the days leading up to the 13th are soooo slooow......

Yay! :woo: Fair enough tbh, you can't force yourself to like something! I really hope you enjoy it if you do read it, it is lovely. I haven't read the sequel but I've seen the movie, that's beautiful too! :smile:
Thank you for your kindness! Hopefully you're right :biggrin: That's brilliant! I really hope that it shows in your results, I have my fingers crossed for you. I did English Lit and Art under AQA and Media Studies under OCR, Media Studies wasn't bad, I adored Art and English Lit was a massive pain tbh, the exam was so frustratingly odd! But it's too late to do anything now :redface: How about you, what did you do? How do you think they went? :smile:

Sorry for the late reply talkibansei! I really hope so too, thank you :smile: Thank you! The very same to you, I hope you do brilliantly :biggrin: They sound very difficult. Did you not find Art very time consuming? Many people in my year thought English Lit was very difficult and odd with CCEA, I take it all exam boards went down the same difficulty route this year. I really hope you do better than you think :biggrin: I've always had a keen interest in Media Studies, it would have been brilliant to study. What did your course consist of? :smile: I did Irish under CCEA and Religion under Edexcel, I think my Irish went better than I first thought when I came out of it, but the listening was very difficult and I know I made silly mistakes. The religion went quite well (I hope) despite them changing the format of the question and only putting half our topic on the paper for Islam, the topic which we were hardly taught. Literally wishing for low grade boundaries in it lol :smile:
What do you hope to study at Uni? :smile:
Original post by Emily388
Hi guys,
I did my rs as level a year early and am on holiday on the 13th, anyone know how I could get my results online? Thanks

It depends if your school does online results. If not, contact them and ask if they could email the results, or possibly phone you. Some schools also let others collect your results for you, if they have written permission from you. If they don't let you do any of those, they might post your results sheet home so you'd just have to wait until you got home. Wish I could have been of more help :redface: Good luck! :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Never thought I'd see the day when AQA English actually sounded nice but thank god my school goes with them 😂😂😂

Yeah, I'd love to swap to AQA right about now :redface:

The only saviour I have at this point is my 38/40 coursework
Original post by Zer0.
I remember the feeling when I left people I'd known since reception in Y11 to attend a different sixth form; I've also lost friends whilst studying at this Sixth Form :redface:

Can't imagine losing everyone all at once, aaaaaaaaaah, such a fate I can only look forward to

I know what you mean as when I left to a different sixth form last year I left people who I knew since year 7. After having a friendship group of about 25 I now only keep in contact with 2. It's sad how "friends" only come and go with only a couple that are actually present throughout life.
Original post by Hayley Williams
Don't worry, i'm never complaining ever again aha. Which uni are you going to? :smile:

Uni of York hopefully to study Law! Yourself?

Also, happy single digits to results day and results day is now officially NEXT WEEK.
Original post by Zer0.
Yeah, I'd love to swap to AQA right about now :redface:

The only saviour I have at this point is my 38/40 coursework

The unseen extract section of the AQA paper was pretty tricky but the poetry was good so it balanced haha

Nice! I really enjoyed coursework, we had one on The Great Gatsby and the other was comparing Equus and Brimstone & Treacle and I liked all the texts so it brought my grade up a lot :')
Single digits f u c k I n g yes people !!!!!
Original post by SuperSah
Uni of York hopefully to study Law! Yourself?

Also, happy single digits to results day and results day is now officially NEXT WEEK.

Lancaster Uni to study chemistry. I can't wait. Not even for freshers or anything, i love learning chemistry ahh, i can't wait for lectures :biggrin: Gah, don't remind me :wink:
Original post by Zer0.

:hugs: It's so weird, isn't it! I guess it's to be expected with moving onto the next stage of life though... :moon:

Original post by IrishChick
Sorry for the late reply talkibansei! I really hope so too, thank you :smile: Thank you! The very same to you, I hope you do brilliantly :biggrin: They sound very difficult. Did you not find Art very time consuming? Many people in my year thought English Lit was very difficult and odd with CCEA, I take it all exam boards went down the same difficulty route this year. I really hope you do better than you think :biggrin: I've always had a keen interest in Media Studies, it would have been brilliant to study. What did your course consist of? :smile: I did Irish under CCEA and Religion under Edexcel, I think my Irish went better than I first thought when I came out of it, but the listening was very difficult and I know I made silly mistakes. The religion went quite well (I hope) despite them changing the format of the question and only putting half our topic on the paper for Islam, the topic which we were hardly taught. Literally wishing for low grade boundaries in it lol :smile:
What do you hope to study at Uni? :smile:

No worries! :h: Thank you! Art was extremely time consuming, but I did really enjoy it so it didn't feel quite so much like a chore. It was so different to all the other lessons where it was just essays and exams, so it was almost like a break! Oh dear, maybe they're responding to all the claims that certain people are making about the difficulty of A-levels :redface: Typical that it's our year who suffers! :tongue: So you did Irish? Irish is such a lovely language! It's a shame that the listening was difficult for you, I hope you still come out of it with a good grade. Religion sounds difficult though! That's so awkward, what a pity :frown: Hopefully it went as well as you thought though! I'm sure it'll all be fine :hugs:
I'd like to study French and Japanese! How about you? :biggrin:
The unseen extract section of the AQA paper was pretty tricky but the poetry was good so it balanced haha

Nice! I really enjoyed coursework, we had one on The Great Gatsby and the other was comparing Equus and Brimstone & Treacle and I liked all the texts so it brought my grade up a lot :':wink:

Ah, I'm sure you got through it just fine

That's great that it brought up your grade, hopefully it'll help raise your grade to that A*/A you need :tongue:

Latest