The Student Room Group

is it ever right to fight?

guys this is for religious studies and i can't seem to frame an answer in my head, so just post what you think x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by munnaa
guys this is for religious studies and i can't seem to frame an answer in my head, so just post what you think x

Fight as in physically fight with your fists? Sometimes in some situations yes, if your life's on the line or somebody else's is, sometimes it's the only way out, of course you should try to avoid that situation, especially considering you never know what the opponent may have in his or her pocket (they could pull a knife or gun on you)
So it should always be avoided if possible, but if not, it's sometimes the only way out of a bad situation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TunnelSnakesRule
Fight as in physically fight with your fists? Sometimes in some situations yes, if your life's on the line or somebody else's is, sometimes it's the only way out, of course you should try to avoid that situation, especially considering you never know what the opponent may have in his or her pocket (they could pull a knife or gun on you)
So it should always be avoided if possible, but if not, it's sometimes the only way out of a bad situation

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah, it differs from fist fights to wars
btw thanks for replying to this!
Why it's wrong:
It results in unnecessary deaths/injuries
It can prevent people from expressing their feelings if they just fight instead of talking
It can disturb people's lives, such as refugees who have to flee countries
It splits up families if soldiers are sent off to war
It can often be just to prove how 'manly' someone is, and creates a system of judgement

Why it's right:Sometimes it can be the only solution (although I personally can't understand this :/)
I believe self defense is important, so you should be able to defend yourself against other who may wish to attack you in the streets, but that it is wrong to be in the offensive position...
But to be honest I can't really understand fighting, though this is just me ^-^

I'm doing history revision atm so i'm gonna use this... in Czechoslovakia in 1968, the people just protested peaceful against the communists, which was more effective than in Hungary where many people were killed. So whilst the Communists were in the wrong for both, I believe that Czechoslovakia took the right approach, as they valued lives over land :smile:
Reply 4
It's never acceptable but, well from personal experience, rarely it's the only way to get your message across.

Some other day, someone was disturbing me from working and generally being a nuisance and pulling out my computer's wires and so...
Violence is never justified no matter the situation, so no.
"But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot." -Exodus 21:23-24
- The words are intended to limit revenge, not encourage vengeance. But revenge is not consistent with the later teaching of Jesus.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by German123
Violence is never justified no matter the situation, so no.

So if I had a gun to your head it would be wrong of you to kick me in the nuts to save yourself?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank god all these people who said no went alive when ancestors lived in cave.How would the human race have survived back then in those turbulent times with such betas.
Violence is unacceptable now,except in self defense.
But other times in human history, mainly prehistoric, it was necessary.
Original post by TheTruthTeller
So if I had a gun to your head it would be wrong of you to kick me in the nuts to save yourself?

I see what you are saying but two wrongs never make a right.
Reply 10
Violence only leads to more violence. Fighting is never right unless it's in self defence.

@mobbsy91 a lesson you should learn:wink:

This is where you are wrong. Violence itself is not always wrong. Just like being kind is not always right. If you are kind in the form of giving money to someone who wants to kill people it is WRONG. Kicking someone in the nuts with the INTENTION of saving yourself is not wrong but imo nothing less of RIGHT.

How is it unjustifiable in the case of self-defense?
Original post by munnaa

Of course it is! Ice hockey players fight all the time :biggrin:
This is where you are wrong. Violence itself is not always wrong. Just like being kind is not always right. If you are kind in the form of giving money to someone who wants to kill people it is WRONG. Kicking someone in the nuts with the INTENTION of saving yourself is not wrong but imo nothing less of RIGHT.

inb4 juts war theory.
Original post by binarythoughts
How is it unjustifiable in the case of self-defense?

Inb4 the just war theory.
inb4 juts war theory.

That is used for justification of war between countries. Are you like 10?
Original post by Aph
Violence only leads to more violence. Fighting is never right unless it's in self defence.

@mobbsy91 a lesson you should learn:wink:

Fighting has a place in this world, and has been used, and should be for a number of different reasons.

No, its good to be a pacifist but of course it is easier said than done for most people.

There is a lot more to the just war theory than that.

Quick Reply

Latest