The Student Room Group

Good universities for a Chemistry degree

I am currently in year 12 and am looking for which universities I should apply to for a chemistry degree. I am predicted 4 A's in Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Geography. I am going to apply to Manchester and Durham but I don't know what other universities to look at and visit.
Imperial, Bristol
Warwick, Bath, and York

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Manchester, Imperial, Oxford, York, Warwick and Nottingham
Do you have a copy of the Good University Guide at your school/local library? That's how I decided which unis to apply for. I just looked through the top ranked ones and then found out more info and applied to the ones out of them that I liked the look of. Ranking is NOT everything, as everyone will tell you: this was simply a way to find out good universities and narrow it down for me.

Manchester, Oxford, Cambridge (that's Natural Sciences though), Bristol, York, Imperial, Nottingham, Edinburgh, St Andrew's... those are good for undergrad chem. I will have missed some big ones I'm sure.
I am looking at a medicinal chemistry degree and I have Biology and Chemistry but not maths.

Will this be an issue?
Original post by SubwayLover1
I am looking at a medicinal chemistry degree and I have Biology and Chemistry but not maths.

Will this be an issue?

It shouldn't be, there are some places like Glasgow that only needs chemistry and Exeter that needs biology and chemistry. You can look on the ucas website http://search.ucas.com/
Reply 7
Original post by Hazelena
I am currently in year 12 and am looking for which universities I should apply to for a chemistry degree. I am predicted 4 A's in Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Geography. I am going to apply to Manchester and Durham but I don't know what other universities to look at and visit.

Hey, I study Chemistry at Warwick, just finished my second yr so thought I could shed some light on my experience in case you find it helpful.

One thing you should bear in mind is that each uni has its own areas of strength in Chemistry, and sometimes the course is structured to reflect that. Warwick is fairly quantitative and analysis-focused so a lot of our modules had a fair bit of maths in them (calculus, differentiation, limits, error propagation etc). Try and find out how a course structured or what kind of modules a uni does, this info is normally somewhere on the dept's website. See if that is compatible with what you would like to learn about more at Uni, then you can go to open days and ask the right kind of qs.

Think about practicals. Some unis do less, some do more. I did 2 x 5 hr lab sessions each week last yr for around 15-20 weeks (stretched over 2 terms). This yr, exactly the same thing with an extra hr added to each lab session. I personally hate practicals and never thought about this until getting to Uni, and now it's kind of like I'm just doing it because I need to haha (it has its benefits though, ultimately you would like to see how the theory ends up in the real world).

Also consider what kind of course you want. Does the uni offer an intercalated yr which you might have already thought about wanting to take? What kind of professional placements are on offer? Do you want to do a joint honours programme?

Won't go into too much detail, but I do think the above reasons are fairly important to consider amongst other things like how far away from home you're ok with, student union socs/sports clubs etc; some courses are changing their requirements, for example, Warwick's MChem course was AAB but as of this yr is AAA with compulsory A2 Maths- the structure of the course has become more challenging and rigorous hence that is reflected in the entrance criteria.

Anyways, good luck with your choices!
Original post by Zeegie
Hey, I study Chemistry at Warwick, just finished my second yr so thought I could shed some light on my experience in case you find it helpful.

One thing you should bear in mind is that each uni has its own areas of strength in Chemistry, and sometimes the course is structured to reflect that. Warwick is fairly quantitative and analysis-focused so a lot of our modules had a fair bit of maths in them (calculus, differentiation, limits, error propagation etc). Try and find out how a course structured or what kind of modules a uni does, this info is normally somewhere on the dept's website. See if that is compatible with what you would like to learn about more at Uni, then you can go to open days and ask the right kind of qs.

Think about practicals. Some unis do less, some do more. I did 2 x 5 hr lab sessions each week last yr for around 15-20 weeks (stretched over 2 terms). This yr, exactly the same thing with an extra hr added to each lab session. I personally hate practicals and never thought about this until getting to Uni, and now it's kind of like I'm just doing it because I need to haha (it has its benefits though, ultimately you would like to see how the theory ends up in the real world).

Also consider what kind of course you want. Does the uni offer an intercalated yr which you might have already thought about wanting to take? What kind of professional placements are on offer? Do you want to do a joint honours programme?

Won't go into too much detail, but I do think the above reasons are fairly important to consider amongst other things like how far away from home you're ok with, student union socs/sports clubs etc; some courses are changing their requirements, for example, Warwick's MChem course was AAB but as of this yr is AAA with compulsory A2 Maths- the structure of the course has become more challenging and rigorous hence that is reflected in the entrance criteria.

Anyways, good luck with your choices!

I'm not too big on practicals either, although I was very impressed by the chemistry department at Warwick (£4.5m investment in 2014?!). I'm just wondering if you think the amount of time spent on practical work at Warwick is a lot compared to other universities? Also, how much are you assessed on your practical skills ? :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by itsConnor_
I'm not too big on practicals either, although I was very impressed by the chemistry department at Warwick (£4.5m investment in 2014?!). I'm just wondering if you think the amount of time spent on practical work at Warwick is a lot compared to other universities? Also, how much are you assessed on your practical skills ? :smile:

Yeah, the labs are a really big investment; think my yr was the first one to experience them fully refurbished and improved.

I only know the state of lab hrs at Warwick, but I can definitely say that it is practical extensive. I have heard that Imperial is also equally, if not more, lab-heavy, and compared to other universities, from what I've heard, the structure can vary and some labs don't count or are done rarely, whereas at Warwick, your first lab starts within the first 2 weeks of freshers and every single one counts!

In first yr, labs are worth 30%, in second yr it came down to 25%, third yr I have yet to see! Worth noting though that in first yr, 1/6 of labs was actually computer workshops designated to the understanding of important software such as chemdraw/origin/excel etc, and in second yr, 1/4 of labs was spectroscopy analysis (a short exam containing detailed analysis of H NMR/IR/C NMR etc; which you get taught).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending