The Student Room Group

Applying to US Universities

Hi! So, I know it's a bit early but I've been thinking about going to the US for university and I like to be prepared for everything just in case. I have a few questions about SAT preparation and the actual test, also life in US universities.

Heres a few things you might need to know first:

- I am a foreigner in England (chinese) but english is almost my mother tongue since i think and speak in english
- I wanna study astronautical engineering or computer science
- I am currently doing my GCSEs
- Wanna go to Stanford, Caltech, MIT and a few more safer choices (haven't decided yet)
- Wanna take my SATs maybe next year? gonna take english, math level 2 and physics. (do i have to take the reasoning?)

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Feel free to provide a question.
Reply 2
Original post by vaudevillain
Feel free to provide a question.

well what do i have to do to prepare for a SAT test? thanks :smile:
Original post by anhelka123
well what do i have to do to prepare for a SAT test? thanks :smile:

You have to do CollegeBoard practice papers from the Blue Book. Go over your GCSE maths. I wouldn't know how to adequately prepare for the critical reading and writing sections outside of the CB-provided practice questions because I think those are pretty much a culmination of what your education has provided you.
American here.

You do need to take the SAT Reasoning test. TBH, it's more a test of "how do I not make stupid mistakes" rather than a test of your knowledge. Do tons of practice (Barrons, CollegeBoard blue book, Princeton Review yellow book), and on the off chance there's an area you're not well-versed in, do extra review there. The SAT Reasoning is fairly important.

Good plan with the SATIIs. If you're applying this coming autumn, you will need to hurry with preparing for the SATs. Most of us have already taken the SAT Reasoning once (you can take more than once, and about 80% do), and you might be able to take it twice. It would, of course, be best if you got the score you're happy with the first round. The same thing for the SAT Subject tests.

In addition to top grades and great SAT scores, you need to have unique extracurricular activities. Any of these? Awards?

Internationals often underestimate the importance of the essays. You have one common application essay for all your universities, and in fact, the topics are already published, so you can start on those. Furthermore, many colleges have their own supplemental essays. Make sure each of your essays reflect your personality, not your grades or whatever else is already on the application.

Please also do more research on the US universities. There are many many more great universities than those you've listed and the famous ones. In fact, the main reason Harvard and Stanford are so famous is not the quality of their undergraduate schools, but actually their competitiveness at sports and their graduate level research. Equally great schools (and I mean EQUALLY) yet less known are what we call "Liberal Arts Schools" (a sort of misnomer since nearly all US undergraduate schools are "liberal arts"). They're smaller and usually more rural/urban. The top ones are known by all the top employers and grad schools. However, if you are returning to the UK for a job, then ignore the LACs.
Reply 5
call me controversal but also under the influence of my parents, it would be 'better' if i applied to some well known universities. Although, if you have some good suggestions i'm all ears. :smile: that was a lot of useful information so thanks.

speaking of awards and extracurricular stuff, heres what i have: i'm part of a few societies in school like philosophy, discussion, chess; i'm into all sports especially badminton, i play at least twice a week, badminton, i go to the gym a lot (everyday), i do kickboxing; i compute (i know ruby and planning to learn html after gcse); i am applying for a scholarship (results cpme out this summer so i'm not really counting on it); i used to be three times 1st in a piano contest in romania (dont ask), i am also playing the guitar; if successful, i will have learnt german and korean along with english and mandarin; i know how to ski? going to do an EPQ next year hopefully; i do community service every wednesday afternoon. thats about it for now..

I just have one more question, u mentioned essays? essays that go to all of the universities, i have not come across those. all i know is that i have to write individual essays to universities reflecting on my personality and stuff. :/ so maybe u have more information on those? thanks in advance! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Hi !
I am in the same position as you but you seem to know a lot more about the whole process than me!
i'm also doing gcse's and my family intends to move to the US near the end of next year, however i will apply to uni's in london (QM & KCL, etc possibly for dentistry) but i want to apply for american uni's too, mainly the "well-known" and "good/top" uni's.

I can see that you've already started thinking ahead so early and tbh thats a good idea, i am absolutely clueless on the whole process, so where do you take the SATs and how are you preparing for them? are they a lot harder than GCSEs?

but american uni's will probably be my second resort if i dont get into KCL or QM.. unless i get accepted into an amazing uni in the US !
Reply 7
Honestly I don't think that are that much harder than GCSEs. From experienced people in my school, I think I will have to go to London to take the exams although I am not sure yet. I am going to prepare this summer and hopefully take them next year. Ask your teachers maybe?
Original post by anhelka123
call me controversal but also under the influence of my parents, it would be 'better' if i applied to some well known universities. Although, if you have some good suggestions i'm all ears. :smile: that was a lot of useful information so thanks.

speaking of awards and extracurricular stuff, heres what i have: i'm part of a few societies in school like philosophy, discussion, chess; i'm into all sports especially badminton, i play at least twice a week, badminton, i go to the gym a lot (everyday), i do kickboxing; i compute (i know ruby and planning to learn html after gcse); i am applying for a scholarship (results cpme out this summer so i'm not really counting on it); i used to be three times 1st in a piano contest in romania (dont ask), i am also playing the guitar; if successful, i will have learnt german and korean along with english and mandarin; i know how to ski? going to do an EPQ next year hopefully; i do community service every wednesday afternoon. thats about it for now..

I just have one more question, u mentioned essays? essays that go to all of the universities, i have not come across those. all i know is that i have to write individual essays to universities reflecting on my personality and stuff. :/ so maybe u have more information on those? thanks in advance! :biggrin:

Keep in mind universities only care about extracurricular activities that you have done during high school. They will ask specifically when you have done them. Try to talk about how each activity has made you who you are.

I'm assuming you will be applying through the Common Application (American UCAS), since there are few other ways to apply (less popular is the Universal Application, but no one cares). The Common Application requires one essay of all applicants, and you get to choose from about 6 topics (could be 5, I forget). Search "Common App Essay Prompts" to get a head start.

As you know, various universities also require their own essays, in addition to the CommonApp one. These are usually along the lines of "Why Us" or a prompt that lets you reveal more about yourself.

I believe the Common Application is open to registration in August. Until then, just 'google' Common Application to get an idea of what's on there.
Original post by zinky99
Hi !
I am in the same position as you but you seem to know a lot more about the whole process than me!
i'm also doing gcse's and my family intends to move to the US near the end of next year, however i will apply to uni's in london (QM & KCL, etc possibly for dentistry) but i want to apply for american uni's too, mainly the "well-known" and "good/top" uni's.

I can see that you've already started thinking ahead so early and tbh thats a good idea, i am absolutely clueless on the whole process, so where do you take the SATs and how are you preparing for them? are they a lot harder than GCSEs?

but american uni's will probably be my second resort if i dont get into KCL or QM.. unless i get accepted into an amazing uni in the US !

The "good/top" universities are NOT the same as the "well-known" ones. There are top universities (namely LACs) that aren't as well know globally, but would work just as well or better than, say, the Ivy League. This can be a bit confusing for UK folk, since I believe you guys just have national universities, and the ranking is generally agreed upon. Keep to the well known American ones if you want to come back to the UK, but also remember that you may have a better chance as an international at a smaller LAC that has as prestigious a name among the employers and graduate schools as the Ivy League has.

I think you should be able to take the SATs in the UK. Go to the College Board website to find the nearest center. Take a practice SAT to get an idea of what the test is like; there is a free one on the College Board website. I advise you to buy the College Board book for SAT Reasoning if you need to prepare for the test. I basically did a ton of practice in the months before the test.

Honestly, American universities are horrible to use as a second resort, because they're so expensive. From the lowest ranked to Harvard, they generally cost around USD60,000 a year. Have a look at Australian and other European universities for a better backup school.
Also, for anyone taking the SAT soon, I can help grade your essays. I've been taught how to grade SAT-style essays (not English class essays), and this is generally the only thing you cannot do by yourselves.

I can't promise to check TSR all summer, but send me the essay via message, and I will do my best to get back to you.

Alternatively, there is A LOT of study material on the American version of TSR. Google "College Confidential" and check out its SAT prep forum. Although usually less qualified, there are other students who can grade your essay there, too.
Reply 11
Original post by WoanderinCC
Also, for anyone taking the SAT soon, I can help grade your essays. I've been taught how to grade SAT-style essays (not English class essays), and this is generally the only thing you cannot do by yourselves.

I can't promise to check TSR all summer, but send me the essay via message, and I will do my best to get back to you.

Alternatively, there is A LOT of study material on the American version of TSR. Google "College Confidential" and check out its SAT prep forum. Although usually less qualified, there are other students who can grade your essay there, too.

Thank you so much. Honestly it would help a lot.
You will definitely have to take the reasoning portion of the test. Everybody has to. There are lots of study guides plus you can find old SATs online.

You are applying to some very stellar universities but don't overlook other great universities. Some others for aeronautical engineering that you should look into are Georgia Tech (ranked 11 in the world for engineering and technology) and University of Texas (ranked 14) both are excellent and well respected. It is important not to only consider unis like MIT and Standford. The competition is unbelievable! It will be difficult enough to attend a uni like GA Tech or UT.

Good Luck
Original post by hopeforthebest1
You will definitely have to take the reasoning portion of the test. Everybody has to. There are lots of study guides plus you can find old SATs online.

You are applying to some very stellar universities but don't overlook other great universities. Some others for aeronautical engineering that you should look into are Georgia Tech (ranked 11 in the world for engineering and technology) and University of Texas (ranked 14) both are excellent and well respected. It is important not to only consider unis like MIT and Standford. The competition is unbelievable! It will be difficult enough to attend a uni like GA Tech or UT.

Good Luck

There are several UT campuses, and each has its own advantages, so you might want to specify which one. I would guess UT Austin, since that is commonly respected as the best UT.
There are several UT campuses, and each has its own advantages, so you might want to specify which one. I would guess UT Austin, since that is commonly respected as the best UT.

Very good point! Yes, I mean specifically UT-Austin.
Reply 15
How likely you are to obtain admission to a US University depends mainly on your financial situation. If your parents can afford the fees out there, of course you will find a college willing to accept you.
If you are expecting a significant amount of financial support from a US University, it is possible, but certainly much harder.

You will need:

1) Great SAT scores.
2) Great GCSE/Predicted A-Level Grades
3) Brilliant extra cirriculars (not just, I play football on a Sunday). Are you the captain? Have you competed regionally, nationally? Unique things. They have a huge emphasis on first, best and only to do something.
4) A brilliant commonapp essay.

Another bit of advice would be to be open minded about where you go in the US. If you need financial aid, perhaps consider a less popular part of the US. I.e, not just Universities in New York, Connecticut, New Jersey. Perhaps less popular locations.

However, if money is no issue you certainly have more option. PM me if you have any questions!
Reply 16
The "good/top" universities are NOT the same as the "well-known" ones. There are top universities (namely LACs) that aren't as well know globally, but would work just as well or better than, say, the Ivy League. This can be a bit confusing for UK folk, since I believe you guys just have national universities, and the ranking is generally agreed upon. Keep to the well known American ones if you want to come back to the UK, but also remember that you may have a better chance as an international at a smaller LAC that has as prestigious a name among the employers and graduate schools as the Ivy League has.

I think you should be able to take the SATs in the UK. Go to the College Board website to find the nearest center. Take a practice SAT to get an idea of what the test is like; there is a free one on the College Board website. I advise you to buy the College Board book for SAT Reasoning if you need to prepare for the test. I basically did a ton of practice in the months before the test.

Honestly, American universities are horrible to use as a second resort, because they're so expensive. From the lowest ranked to Harvard, they generally cost around USD60,000 a year. Have a look at Australian and other European universities for a better backup school.

woww thank you SO much!! this really helped, i checked out the SATs practice questions and they seem ok, with more practice it will become more doable, i was expecting them to be so hard! ahh and yeaah i understand the difference now, do you know which uni would be best for dentistry?
and i wouldn't mind getting into a "well-respected" uni there because my family is going moving there next year so if i study there, i will also work there after i graduate, however if i study here and get a egree here, i will have to go through the long process of finding a job in america afterwards (which i have no clue how to do but thats for later i guess)

and hmm money isnt really the issue, since my parents would be willing if its the best for my education, its just the whole application process! and wow, thank you so much for using your time to help mark our essays.
in summer i will try to do some and then maybe we'll see about that.

The College Board website is also very helpful.
Original post by zinky99
woww thank you SO much!! this really helped, i checked out the SATs practice questions and they seem ok, with more practice it will become more doable, i was expecting them to be so hard! ahh and yeaah i understand the difference now, do you know which uni would be best for dentistry?
and i wouldn't mind getting into a "well-respected" uni there because my family is going moving there next year so if i study there, i will also work there after i graduate, however if i study here and get a egree here, i will have to go through the long process of finding a job in america afterwards (which i have no clue how to do but thats for later i guess)

and hmm money isnt really the issue, since my parents would be willing if its the best for my education, its just the whole application process! and wow, thank you so much for using your time to help mark our essays.
in summer i will try to do some and then maybe we'll see about that.

The College Board website is also very helpful.

In America, medicine and dentistry are graduate only degrees. You may find some schools that offer "pre-dentistry." IGNORE THAT. Check out the school, but do not choose a school JUST because it offers pre-dentistry. You need to study a similar topic in undergraduate school, and then go on to a graduate degree in dentistry.

If you are working in America, then you should definitely have a look at Liberal Arts Colleges. They aren't as well known world wide, but they are well known among American employers. The best LACs are as good as Harvard in undergraduate education.

My top choice is Claremont McKenna College, which you likely have never heard of. I'm a top student, and in the most humble way possible to say this, I am a good candidate for Harvard, and I will be applying to Harvard. However, if I get into both Claremont McKenna and Harvard, I will choose Claremont any day, a crazy choice to most people. However, if you truly do your research, you will find that the Ivies have been overrated because of their sports scene and graduate programs, NOT their undergraduate programs.

Don't get me wrong; Harvard still has a wonderful undergraduate program, and that's why I'm still applying. However, there are other schools that may work better for you. In fact, the majority of my list of schools are still well known ones, but my favorite is not as well known among the average person on the street. Less bragging rights, but hopefully a better future. Plus I fully intend to go onto a top school for graduate school.

For a start, I suggest you check out John Hopkins University (a national well known one) that has a reputation for getting people into med and dentist schools. Also, have a look at Harvey Mudd College (this one a less known but very good and well known among graduate schools) which is a LAC that specializes in science. Don't set your heart on anything until you do a lot of research. US universities aren't as clear cut as UK ones in terms of which ones are better than which ones.
Perhaps I should revise and say, their international fame comes mainly from their graduate research output. No one in Australia, where I've lived, talks about Harvard's undergraduate education, even though everyone wants to go there. However, they do know about Harvard's graduate research output, which they may read on the news or science magazines.

In any case, my point was not that the undergraduate education is bad, by any means. The Ivy League's ARE overrated, compared to the LACs. Or the LACs are underrated compared to the Ivy League. Whichever floats your boat.

Quality of education varies very little between the Ivy League and top LACs. I never said anyone would need to choose between the Ivy League and the top LACs for quality of education. My main point was that the Ivy League and the top LACs, although less famous, are comparable in education, and therefore the users here should also consider the top LACs, despite their lack of international fame.
Forgive my wording; you're right. What I meant was there are med-related courses one must take in order to go to graduate school in dentistry/medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending