The Student Room Group

Why the heck do I have to pay thousands of pounds of tuition at university for maths?

I thought you just got an example sheet and then you had to spend the rest of the day locked up in your room working? Example sheets aren't worth thousands of pounds of tution fees, what the hell.

At the end of the day, why do maths graduates have to apy tens of thousands of pounds just for a piece of paper that says degree when it could have all been done by locking themselves in their room for a couple of years while working through the mathematical texts?
You don't have to pay it. No one is forcing you to go to university. If you don't want to pay it, then don't go. Simple.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rayquaza17
You don't have to pay it. No one is forcing you to go to university. If you don't want to pay it, then don't go. Simple.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How would you feel if it cost you $30,000 to register for your GCSE/A level exams.

You know, you don't have to take them. If you dont' want to take them, then don't take them, simple.
Original post by FunkItsMechanics
How would you feel if it cost you $30,000 to register for your GCSE/A level exams.

You know, you don't have to take them. If you dont' want to take them, then don't take them, simple.

I didn't pay for them though?
I'm not sure what your argument is.
it all adds up.
Original post by cambio wechsel
it all adds up.

I see what you did there.
Original post by rayquaza17
I didn't pay for them though?
I'm not sure what your argument is.

yeah but imagine if you did. It doesn't take $30,000 to print the exam and mark it, why would you have to pay for it?
And it's not like you have a choice either. If you don't take it, you will be at a huge disadvantage to anyone else who did take it.

But the schooling costed the government a lot, think about how much private schools cost. I see your point though if these students don't gain much (if anything ?) from the lectures!
Original post by Patrick2810
But the schooling costed the government a lot, think about how much private schools cost. I see your point though if these students don't gain much (if anything ?) from the lectures!

yeah but the whole idea of the unviersity is that you 'study on your own' right? then wtf?
I thought you just got an example sheet and then you had to spend the rest of the day locked up in your room working? Example sheets aren't worth thousands of pounds of tution fees, what the hell.

At the end of the day, why do maths graduates have to apy tens of thousands of pounds just for a piece of paper that says degree when it could have all been done by locking themselves in their room for a couple of years while working through the mathematical texts?

The lecturers (ones the universities choose for most first and second year modules, at least) are very good at explaining things.

I speak from experience, because I've found that at the postgraduate level, my supervisor had provided crystal clear explanations/motivation for certain topics that look incredibly abstract.
Everything in life has a price tag, a value. Do you value getting the piece of paper, and/or more importantly acquiring new skills and adopting a completely new viewfinder on life? If you value these things then obviously you're gonna have to pay up. If you don't, there are many other pathways into acquiring said qualities like apprenticeships or through free resources online.
one of life's many joys <3 <3 <3
Reply 12

Yeah, the uni's lecturers and facilities pay for themselves don't they?

:facepalm:
yeah but imagine if you did. It doesn't take $30,000 to print the exam and mark it, why would you have to pay for it?
And it's not like you have a choice either. If you don't take it, you will be at a huge disadvantage to anyone else who did take it.

Because life is a vicious cycle and this is how companies make money. Also I don't know why your paying 30,000 dollars. Seems a tad bit higher then what It usually is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have no idea why you would pay that much to study maths. There are other foreign students for whom there is no equivalent level of provision in their home countries but you could get as good an undergraduate education in specifically mathematics at HKU or HKUST. Unless it's Oxbridge, and perhaps even then, you must be out of your ****ing mind.

More generally, for British students of mathematics the £9000 fees probably more or less cover the cost of provision, this given the amount of time spent in lectures, or is just shy of it. For people in laboratory sciences it doesn't come close. For arts and social sciences students, they are paying about £4000 a year over the odds and are doing so because the universities have them over a barrel, yes.

You are close to understanding why it costs so much

Well if you do it through open uni, it costs only £2700.

It's what the market will bear. Basic economics: to a first-order approximation, the price of a service will rise as far as it can in accordance with demand.
Original post by scrotgrot
You are close to understanding why it costs so much

monopolies op
**** this ****

Quick Reply

Latest