The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

How is KCL like?

I'm an international student and will be applying for medicine this year. So KCL has always been my top choice; it's in the city, I graduate in 5 years, it's diversed, and there's a lot of research going on. However, from what I know, KCL is not a closed campus so I'm a little skeptical about safety and accommodation's security. I just want to know how the KCL community is like, and the competition level as well as the friendliness. Though I can hold alcohol, im not applying to king's for the night experience. I'm not a party person in general but will people at king's force me to go to clubs? I also remember reading that med students and the rest of KCL has some rivalry going on, is it true? And what is your comment on the overall experience at king's?
Reply 1
Original post by khaopoad
I'm an international student and will be applying for medicine this year. So KCL has always been my top choice; it's in the city, I graduate in 5 years, it's diversed, and there's a lot of research going on. However, from what I know, KCL is not a closed campus so I'm a little skeptical about safety and accommodation's security. I just want to know how the KCL community is like, and the competition level as well as the friendliness. Though I can hold alcohol, im not applying to king's for the night experience. I'm not a party person in general but will people at king's force me to go to clubs? I also remember reading that med students and the rest of KCL has some rivalry going on, is it true? And what is your comment on the overall experience at king's?

You'd probably be in Central London most if not all of the time so security and safety will never be a worry. Competition among courses varies but this is the same at all universities, competition for Medicine will be very high, even higher as an international student as I've heard that universities are forced to cap the number of international students can study medicine*. You will not be forced to go out to clubs if you do not want to, I've found that people are pretty friendly wherever you go, some KCL med students do have a mild rivalry but no one takes it seriously. Like with any university your experience will be influenced by how you act, if you are more active and wish to go out more you will, if you don't then you won't.

*Source for claim here but I am not 100% sure on how this cap is regulated, if someone else could clarify the issue it would be great
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Quick Reply

Latest