The Student Room Group

Do you think gay people are more socially accepted now than they were ten years ago

do you think things have improved for gays over the last 10- 15 years socially not just legally. Do you think this will continue and what can we do to make sure there is as much gay acceptance as possible ?

I believe gay and bisexual people coming out the closet has really helped since everyone i speak to and even completely random surveys and random questions i ask on people and everyone knows at least someone who is gay and usually 2 people who are gay or bi.

Scroll to see replies

Yes.

Next question.
Original post by jamesholland
do you think things have improved for gays over the last 10- 15 years socially not just legally.

Answer seems obvious, just look around you now.

Now go back to the time you suggested and look around.
yep much so
Yes. Each generation tends to be more liberal than the previous one, so I expect the trend to continue. Homophobes are already a minority and they're going to dwindle even further.
Yes a little no much could be much much better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, albeit with greater push-back from religious groups. But this rise in homophobic evangelism is the death cry of homophobia.
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
Yes, albeit with greater push-back from religious groups.

This is not undeserved however, as I have explained in other threads.

Original post by Haiiz
Yes but people need to stop treating homosexuality as natural...people are being taught it is perfectly normal to be homosexual and they are "born with it" lmao don't make me laugh. Homosexuality is ... a choice

Great post bro :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Haiiz
Yes but people need to stop treating homosexuality as natural. It's not, plain and simple. Personally, I don't care if homosexuals get married and do whatever, they should have the same rights as anyone else. However, people are being taught it is perfectly normal to be homosexual and they are "born with it" lmao don't make me laugh. Homosexuality is a disorder and a choice

Yeah - people choose to be discriminated against and have the law face them like inferior beings.

So much logic in this :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Haiiz
Homosexuality is a disorder and a choice

Ur use of 'disorder' implies some form of mental health problem/ medical issue, how does it then follow that it is also a choice?

So in answer to the OP yes things are improving.

Unfortunately some people still hold regressive views like this ^^
Reply 10
Original post by dyslexicvegie
Ur use of 'disorder' implies some form of mental health problem/ medical issue, how does it then follow that it is also a choice?

So in answer to the OP yes things are improving.

Unfortunately some people still hold regressive views like this ^^

Then let me ask you this. Is pedophilia or necrophilia natural? You can't have it both ways and in no way was my view regressive. If a pedophile was "born that way" is it not his choice to do as he pleases with a child?
Reply 11
Original post by Haiiz
Then let me ask you this. Is pedophilia or necrophilia natural? You can't have it both ways and in no way was my view regressive. If a pedophile was "born that way" is it not his choice to do as he pleases with a child?

Paedophilia as a desire is obviously genetic. Why would someone choose to have pedophilic tendencies and have the law 100% against them?

The difference with pedophilia, however, is that the children are not able to consent. That's why it's prosecuted and should remain as such.

You need to understand the difference between sexual orientation and sexual behaviour. The former is definitely not a choice. The latter is, be it homosexual, heterosexual, necrophilic and whatnot.

(I honestly wonder if people are actually serious sometimes...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Haiiz

On the current evidence, (though not yet conclusive) sexual attraction to children is not a choice acting on it is.

That is something very different to being gay. Consensual gay sex does not mean one participant is herming the other person.

Whether something is termed 'natural' is irelivent, the urge to be violent is perfectly natural.
Reply 13
Original post by *Stefan*
Paedophilia as a desire is obviously genetic. Why would someone choose to be pedophile and have the law 100% against them?

The difference with pedophilia, however, is that the children are not able to consent. That's why it's prosecuted and should remain as such.

You need to understand the difference between sexual orientation and sexual behaviour. The former is definitely not a choice. The latter is, be it homosexual, heterosexual, necrophilic and whatnot.

(I honestly wonder if people are actually serious sometimes...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, I can't believe someone would defend a paedophile. Then explain why do people entering prison are straight and some come out gay? It's a choice, how hard is it to understand?
Reply 14
Original post by Haiiz
Wow, I can't believe someone would defend a paedophile. Then explain why do people entering prison are straight and some come out gay? It's a choice, how hard is it to understand?

Are you serious? Did I defend a pedophile? I said a fact: pedophilic TENDENCIES are NOT a choice. Pedophilic actions are. Whether I or you like it is irrelevant. It's how it is.

It's so easy to understand that the other person doesn't have a single idea when he uses strawman arguments.

That's the most ridiculous reasoning I have ever heard. Goodness. Where do I begin?

a) They may have been gay but only realised it in prison. b) The generalisation is, in all honesty, idiotic. That's what really makes you think it's a choice? You imply that you, assuming you're heterosexual, would be willing in any case to have sex with another man in prison?

But, let's play your game. Let's assume it IS a choice. Can you turn yourself gay for a day? Since you're so sure that it's a choice, it must be very easy! Go ahead then. Don't worry, you may then turn straight again, since it's a choice. Let me know how that goes...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by dyslexicvegie
On the current evidence, (though not yet conclusive) sexual attraction to children is not a choice acting on it is.

That is something very different to being gay. Consensual gay sex does not mean one participant is herming the other person.

Whether something is termed 'natural' is irelivent, the urge to be violent is perfectly natural.

natural :existing in or derived from nature; not made or caused by humankind.
Sorry but there is no gay gene or conclusive evidence that homosexuality is genetic. People just tell you that so it would be easier to accept homosexuality. Like I said before, I really don't care if people are gay but don't try to convince me people are "born" gay when you have absolutely no solid evidence to back it up.
Reply 16
Original post by Haiiz
natural :existing in or derived from nature; not made or caused by humankind.
Sorry but there is no gay gene or conclusive evidence that homosexuality is genetic. People just tell you that so it would be easier to accept homosexuality. Like I said before, I really don't care if people are gay but don't try to convince me people are "born" gay when you have absolutely no solid evidence to back it up.

Well, homosexuality exists in nature, so it natural. It existed long before humans could speak, and it exists in animals. End of.

#Rekt

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by *Stefan*
Well, homosexuality exists in nature, so it natural. It existed long before humans could speak, and it exists in animals. End of.

#Rekt

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your logic is the same as a 5 year old arguing with his parents. LOL. What you're pretty much saying is if a bird drinks water we have wings. THAT'S BECAUSE HUMANS DRINK WATER TOO WOW.You nearly got me there bud with your flawless logic.
Reply 18
Original post by Haiiz
Your logic is the same as a 5 year old arguing with his parents. LOL. What you're pretty much saying is if a bird drinks water we have wings. THAT'S BECAUSE HUMANS DRINK WATER TOO WOW.You nearly got me there bud with your flawless logic.

In all honesty, it's that of a 5 year old to fit your own. Along with hartigan, you're the next most ignorant person I've seen on these threads.

I'll leave this here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3364611

Read what people go through to come out. Their parents resent them, some don't even accept them and some consider them an abomination.

And I ask you: if it were a choice, why would they choose to go through this? If it were a choice, why wouldn't they just turn straight and avoid all these ****ty circumstances?

And finally, ask yourself if you ever chose to be heterosexual and whether you can actually become gay.

Now if you don't have any legitimate, free of fallacies, arguments, just shut up and accept it.

EDIT:
What you're pretty much saying is if a bird drinks water we have wings. THAT'S BECAUSE HUMANS DRINK WATER TOO WOW.

Whare are you even on about? Can I have some of whatever it is you're taking please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes but it could be a lot better :c

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending