The Student Room Group

WJEC EC3 and EC4 A2 Economics June 2015 exam

Hey, just wondering how everyone is feeling about the A2 exams and any predictions?

Scroll to see replies

I am not entirely confident, haven't revised everything thoroughly. Yourself?

Predictions:
Going from the examiner's recent papers, he likes using the data, so maybe a data heavy EC3 (especially after this year's EC1 paper)
EC3, most likely something on Marginal product? Usually an essay on competition/market structures.
EC4 data responses I am really unsure. I don't recall seeing a Balance of Payments essay coming up, so something this year?
Reply 2
My teacher is pretty certain that the market structure essay will be on monopolistic competition
Reply 3
Original post by S01B97
I am not entirely confident, haven't revised everything thoroughly. Yourself?

Predictions:
Going from the examiner's recent papers, he likes using the data, so maybe a data heavy EC3 (especially after this year's EC1 paper)
EC3, most likely something on Marginal product? Usually an essay on competition/market structures.
EC4 data responses I am really unsure. I don't recall seeing a Balance of Payments essay coming up, so something this year?

Same here, I still need to reinforce my knowledge of macro.

I'm hoping a monopoly essay question comes up in ec3 given that it was oligopoly last year, but I also think a question on privatisation is likely.

I'm not even sure that they can ask a balance of payments question but I might be wrong, I mean how do you think they would phrase it if they to ask a question on the topic?
Yes very much the case.

Yeah, monopoly hasn't been up for a while, and with a consistent record of market structures, it could very well come up. Although no monopolistic competition... so who knows. Market failure is pretty consistent too, so privatisation/mergers etc. are pretty irrelevant unless they're preferable to you.

Yeah, I suppose they wouldn't ask directly on Balance of Payments. Maybe through the form of 'reducing the trade deficit' or something along those lines, although I'm sticking to the Growth/Inflation/Unemployment essays. Unless something familiar comes up with development.

Any thoughts on the data response?
Reply 5
I think that one of the data responses could be on development or privitasation :/
Both are relatively nice topics for a data response.

I imagine a privatisation data response would overlap with maybe market failures (monopoly power) and efficiency?
Reply 7
How is everyone feeling for this exam? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not confident. Have English the same day so it's difficult to weight preparation appropriately. Yourself?
Reply 9
Original post by S01B97
Not confident. Have English the same day so it's difficult to weight preparation appropriately. Yourself?

Yeah I'm fine on the micro side. It's just the macro side that I have ignored. And yeah I'm not prioritising economics haha! But I've the papers and they actually aren't toooo bad!

Posted from TSR Mobile
oh my word how much macro is there in this exam, iv only done micro??!!! please someone reply ? is it all of Macro?
can you please list the topics needed im gonna have to revise before my exam, but if knowledge of all macro is needed then fml
Reply 12
Original post by udededygdgyde
oh my word how much macro is there in this exam, iv only done micro??!!! please someone reply ? is it all of Macro?

Some questions are also macro in this exam. But the essay question will be micro

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by udededygdgyde
can you please list the topics needed im gonna have to revise before my exam, but if knowledge of all macro is needed then fml

So roughly u need to look at:
Monopoly/perfect comp/oligopoly/monopolistic comp
Diseconomies/economies of scale
Diminishing returns
General market/govt failure
Development
Eco growth
Terms of trade
GDP/GNP and other indicators
Inflation - classical/monetarist views
Protectionism
Comparative advantage
Unemployment

Posted from TSR Mobile
What essays you guys hoping to come up? Either theory of the firm or mergers would be perfect for me
Reply 15
Original post by OlzClark1997
What essays you guys hoping to come up? Either theory of the firm or mergers would be perfect for me

Either way I'm only going to pick the market structure one. Like comparing oligopoly to other markets!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Is it just me or do some parts of the spec (more Macro) remind you of GCSE geography knowledge!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HG_07
Is it just me or do some parts of the spec (more Macro) remind you of GCSE geography knowledge!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

YES!- I was thinking that a few days ago. It must be from evaluating the social, economic and environmental effects.
Reply 18
Original post by OlzClark1997
YES!- I was thinking that a few days ago. It must be from evaluating the social, economic and environmental effects.

Haha yeah I'm relying on some of that knowledge to make a reappearance in the exam today :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Good luck to everyone sitting it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest