The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The lack of concern is due to confusion over what actually happened.
Reply 41
There seems to be an opinion of 'We don't have enough Information' and 'Wait and see' evolving.

Given the confused situation in Iraq, it seems unlikely that we're going to get any more information on this than we currently have, Belgium has amended the resolution to take this into account.

It now more broadly condemns all violations of International Law with regards to consulates; and it further calls on the Secretary General to send a fact-finding mission to Iraq.
Reply 42
Indonesia will abstain from commenting on this matter until further and clearer facts are presented. We find it puzzling that Iraqi authorities confirm the building to be a consulate, yet US authorities distinctly claim that it is not a diplomatic venue. One cannot help but question the sources, or for that matter, the intelligence of US forces (both literally and figuratively). We ask that all involved parties work towards a peaceful diplomatic end to this crisis. And yes, that means respecting international conventions and agreements.
Reply 43
randdom
Iran is angry with the lack of concern. Our diplomats were arrested if this had happend to any other country anywhere else in the world there would be outrage.

Brazil will wait until facts are proved, however its because Iran's reputation precedes you eg testing nuclear
Reply 44
I'm sorry - if you're making this resolution non-specific, i.e., you've said "any possible" breaches - that's like trying someone for the potential to murder, and is about as ridiculous a stance as you can take.
Reply 45
thats interesting if we could see into the future and stop all murderers before they kill, has that not been done in Hollywood before with a certain Jean Claude Van Damme. I forgot what the films called!
Reply 46
It's called minority report and it has tom cruise in it...

oh - and is ****
Reply 47
Austria will also await confirmation of the status of the building and detainees before committing to a course of action on this motion. However, she does stress the importance of consular immunity to allow stable diplomatic relations to exist between nations in an atmosphere of trust and security. Austria also reminds members states that the use of consular facilities to effect military action or terrorism is prohibited under international law.
Reply 48
cjgbr
Brazil will wait until facts are proved, however its because Iran's reputation precedes you eg testing nuclear

As we have expressed in the debate surrounding plans to have wepons inspectors come to iran there is no evidence to suggest that our nuclear program is to do anything other than provide power for our nation. It is irrelevent, if iranian forces had invaded the US consulate in similar circumstances I am sure that there would not be the wait and see attitude that many countries seem to have.
Reply 49
bikerx23
I'm sorry - if you're making this resolution non-specific, i.e., you've said "any possible" breaches - that's like trying someone for the potential to murder, and is about as ridiculous a stance as you can take.

The intent was to make clear that the GA condemns any violations of consular immunity. I'll amend to try and make that clearer.
Reply 50
I suggest adding a clause that says that if the evidence points towards a case, the UN shall launch a full legal case against those accused.
Reply 51
prufrock
I suggest adding a clause that says that if the evidence points towards a case, the UN shall launch a full legal case against those accused.

There is no mechanism for this. A clause could be added whereby Iran was invited to bring it's case to the ICJ?
Reply 52
alasdair_R
There is no mechanism for this. A clause could be added whereby Iran was invited to bring it's case to the ICJ?

US forces raided the Consulate of Iran at Irbil in Iraq, in violation of the VCCR and international Law

If sufficient evidence is found, the US forces should be prosecuted [under whatever international body - the ICJ maybe]. That should be added in my opinion.
Reply 53
prufrock
US forces raided the Consulate of Iran at Irbil in Iraq, in violation of the VCCR and international Law

If sufficient evidence is found, the US forces should be prosecuted [under whatever international body - the ICJ maybe]. That should be added in my opinion.

The ICJ can't prosecute the US for this. If Iran brings a case to the ICJ, it might be able to rule on it.

I guess there's a technical possibility of a War Crimes Tribunal, but that's not exactly proportionate, not to mention Belgium would quite like this resolution to at least have a modicum of support.
Reply 54
To be honest, I'm surprised Iran hasn't called this invasion of Iranian territory an "act of war"..... or have they? If the US carries on this irresponsible and haphazard behaviour, it shouldn't be surprised when its faced with increasingly unpopular sentiments throughout the globe. As a representative from the world's most populous Muslim country, these acts do nothing but deter the government's effort to eradicate extremists in our country. In fact, this just stirs up more unrest, hatred, and attacks against Western installations and interests. We ask that an international tribunal investigate the incident fairly.
Reply 55
I meant the individual troops. If they had breached orders, or the commanding officers have violated International Law, then the UN should bring the case with evidence to court.

If not, then why pass this resolution? If people were at fault, nothing will happen. Except the wagging of fingers by the UN - and maybe a 'tut tut'.
Reply 56
Argentina supports the resolution, America has breached international law and this should not be tolerated.
Reply 57
UAE is for this resolution and hurries outside to eat pizza with Russia...

OOC: You can't blame Al Queda for everything! But maybe thats what the US will do; dump all their blames on 'a terrorist force'... or Al Queda :rolleyes:
Reply 58
Hmmmmmmmmm.

It seems that Iraq's Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari said the office had not yet become a full-fledged consulate, indicating that the raid had not violated any diplomatic protocols as had initially been claimed in Tehran.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_world/view/252248/1/.html
Reply 59
Iran is seeking for the release of the 5 captives held by the american forces as they are representatives of the iran and the iranian government.

Latest

Trending

Trending