The Student Room Group

Cheap recipes thread

Thought it d be good to start a thread to share suggestions of cheap healthy meals people like to eat:smile:

Some of my favourites:
Jacket potatoes with assorted fillings
Tuna pasta bake
Homemade spaghetti bolognese
Shepards pie( both made using lidl value mince:P)
Most of these recipes feature in my weekly meal plan, which I source from websites such as BBC Good Food and allrecipes.co.uk.

For those of you interested in finding new and cheap recipes, I would highly recommend that you keep an eye out for cookbooks in your local charity shop, scour Amazon for student cookbooks and pick up recipe cards/free food magazines from your local supermarket. Of course, threads like this one are a great platform for sharing recipe ideas :smile:

P.S. As OP has mentioned, Lidl and Aldi are great for sourcing cheap produce, which can only be a good thing for those of us living on a student budget!
I get a can of diced tomatoes and a can of chickpeas. Throw together in a saucepan, add whatever spices you like and some curry powder. If you want to bulk it up add some vegetables. Serve with rice.

It's incredibly cheap but also very tasty. I like best that the tomatoes and chickpeas are canned so I can keep them in the cupboard until I feel like using them without worrying about spoilage.
In lidl you can get 2 smoked kipper for 99p! Couple that with whatever veg or sides you want, I like it with sweet potato mash and roasted mushrooms.
Original post by SophieSmall
In lidl you can get 2 smoked kipper for 99p! Couple that with whatever veg or sides you want, I like it with sweet potato mash and roasted mushrooms.

I swear I see you in every cooking thread I visit.
Original post by Protégé
I swear I see you in every cooking thread I visit.

I ****ing love food.
QUESADILLAS : they literally take 5 mins
ingredients:
- Tortilla wraps (£1)
- Cheese thats grated
- Ham
Get a skillet, put a tortilla wrap in it and sprinkle grated cheese on half of the tortilla and the cut up pieces of ham, fold it in half and cook on both sides for about a minute or until everything is all melted inside! cut into wedges.
you can literally put whatever you want in it if you dont want ham, eg. scrambled eggs or chicken pieces
Original post by SophieSmall

That sounds really nice! :smile:
Original post by ricefarmer
QUESADILLAS : they literally take 5 mins
ingredients:
- Tortilla wraps (£1)
- Cheese thats grated
- Ham
Get a skillet, put a tortilla wrap in it and sprinkle grated cheese on half of the tortilla and the cut up pieces of ham, fold it in half and cook on both sides for about a minute or until everything is all melted inside! cut into wedges.
you can literally put whatever you want in it if you dont want ham, eg. scrambled eggs or chicken pieces

i m not a massive cheese fan but might just give quesadillas a go:smile:
I like to eat bread cheese in breakfast, 2 pieces of fruit at lunch and then rice at dinner.

Quick Reply

Latest