The Student Room Group

Indie, alternative rock

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jchampjchamp
Gotta back you up on that one, King Krule is the bomb. Neptune Estate is my personal favourite.

Personally I tend to avoid music described simply as 'indie'. I feel like it's a genre used to simply categorise songs that are very pop inspired, but don't want to share the label of actually being 'pop'. Saying this, some of my favourite bands that could be classed as 'Indie' include Everything Everything, Cloud Control, Alt J, Foals, Arcade Fire, The National and Fleet Foxes.

I really despise bands like The 1975, Imagine Dragons and The Kooks though.

Yes ugh I hate the 1975 and Imagine Dragons. I heard the 1975 were splitting up though?? and king krule really needs to release another album!! Love him sooo much, Ocean Bed, Out Getting Ribs, A Lizard State and Has This Hit are my faves by him :smile: his whole album is perfect though
Original post by Alexion
I'm gonna make sure that Anavae get a mention here - a very small rock band, but their music is great and I love them :biggrin:

(yes, I'm a little obsessed...)

https://anavae.bandcamp.com/

I like it!!!!!! :music:
Original post by Emmi12345
I like it!!!!!! :music:

Yay :biggrin: I got way too into them... ended up buying a CD copy of the new single, AND 4 wristbands, within a week of discovering them :3
Original post by Alexion
Yay :biggrin: I got way too into them... ended up buying a CD copy of the new single, AND 4 wristbands, within a week of discovering them :3

That sounds like exactly the kind of thing I would do... :wink:
Original post by Ozzy5
The Smiths, Joy Division/New Order, The Cure, The Jesus and Mary Chain. If you want some proper listening

^^^ yes. The Smiths >>>>>>>>
Slaves are amazing. They are quite unique, they released their new album the other day, give it a listen. It's amazing!
Mine is a very American list.

Gardens & Villa
DIIV
Part Time
Man Without Country
Lower Dens
Alvvays
Minks
The Mary Onettes

I go mainly for synthpop or shoegaze bands, but DIIV's tune Doused is very much a rock song. It's such a good song, I will put it here.

[video="youtube;KI79GPXAICM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI79GPXAICM[/video]
Reply 67
Everything everything, the strokes, the cure, the Futureheads, circa waves, wombats, Twin Atlantic, Mallory Knox maybe? And I saw the vaults supporting everything everything and they were amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Original post by Iloveuuu
Can anyone suggest any good indie bands, like Foster the people, or Catfish and the bottleman?

The Hoosiers
Scouting for girls
The fratelis
Stornoway
Reply 69
taa:wink:
Can anyone suggest any good indie bands, like Foster the people, or Catfish and the bottleman?

American Authors, Vampire Weekend, The Vaccines...
We Are Scientists if they have not already been mentioned are brilliant.
Reply 72
Original post by TorpidPhil
We Are Scientists if they have not already been mentioned are brilliant.

Thanks, the artist's name sound quite intriguing. :smile:
I didn't see Walk the Moon mentioned...Love them!
wolf alice, circa waves, the vaccines, the 1975, arctic monkeys, the tallest man in the world, ben howard, the xx, death cab for cutie, the decemberists, band of horses, interpol, alabama shakes, the kooks, civil twilight, the wombats, belle and sebastian, chvrches, the national, vance joy, the strokes, purity ring, florence and the machine, haim, lykke li, bastille, bon iver, fleet foxes,cage the elephant, the mowgli's :smile: there is a lot there, but don't feel obliged to listen to all of them!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ozzy5
The Smiths, Joy Division/New Order, The Cure, The Jesus and Mary Chain. If you want some proper listening

Wow, that is a good sounding track... I don't think I'll be listening to anything else all day :wink:

ikr I LOVE it haha

This.
(edited 8 years ago)
Is anyone else about the new foals album? The first single is being played tonight on R1 at 1930hrs :smile:

But anyway Joy Divison/Laura Marling/Black Keys (only their first album really)/Cage the Elephant are the ones for me!
Nothing But Thieves are an upcoming band. Seriously good.
Over the past month or so I've really been getting into Courtney Barnett's debut album. It's got some really well put together indie songs with witty lyrics so you should check that out. Also I know he isn't strictly 'indie' but Mac Demarco is one of the smoothest melody writers I've heard of.

Original post by student_2902
king krule really needs to release another album!

I'm sure he said on his twitter earlier this year that he was getting back into the studio, not sure though. You listened to any of his stuff under the name Edgar The Beatmaker? It's a lot more hiphop than his King Krule stuff but it's still really nice.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jchampjchamp
Over the past month or so I've really been getting into Courtney Barnett's debut album. It's got some really well put together indie songs with witty lyrics so you should check that out. Also I know he isn't strictly 'indie' but Mac Demarco is one of the smoothest melody writers I've heard of.

I'm sure he said on his twitter earlier this year that he was getting back into the studio, not sure though. You listened to any of his stuff under the name Edgar The Beatmaker? It's a lot more hiphop than his King Krule stuff but it's still really nice.

Yeah, I've gotten really into rap/hiphop recently, not **** like Lil Wayne and Drake but Rejjie Snow, Jesse James etc. I really hope King Krule releases something soon or at least does a gig in or near London. He also has some really good stuff with Mount Kimbie.

Quick Reply

Latest