The Student Room Group

What to do next?

Hello, I am a 17 year old male, and am currently studying human biology at college. I a. Looking for guidance on what do do next. Whether it be to go on to university (and what options to pick) or if I should, or even can for that matter, to go straight into medical school. If there is anyone on here that has been through the educational stage of becoming a doctor or surgeon and now has a career, I would really appreciate it if you could get back to me and give me the 'helping hand' I need to aim me down the right carrer path! Many thanks
Original post by KieranJGunn
Hello, I am a 17 year old male, and am currently studying human biology at college. I a. Looking for guidance on what do do next. Whether it be to go on to university (and what options to pick) or if I should, or even can for that matter, to go straight into medical school. If there is anyone on here that has been through the educational stage of becoming a doctor or surgeon and now has a career, I would really appreciate it if you could get back to me and give me the 'helping hand' I need to aim me down the right carrer path! Many thanks

What are you confused about? Whether or not you're interested in medicine? If so, have you done some work experience and reading about what being a doctor involves?

If you've already decided you want to do medicine, start your reading here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

Feel free to ask if you still have questions after reading those pages.
Reply 2
Original post by Democracy
What are you confused about? Whether or not you're interested in medicine? If so, have you done some work experience and reading about what being a doctor involves?

If you've already decided you want to do medicine, start your reading here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

Feel free to ask if you still have questions after reading those pages.

Many thanks for getting back to me, I see that most men schools require both biology and chemistry at A level, would there be any leeway for someone who would not have chemistry, but excelled in biology? I feel that if I studied chemistry I would not get the required grades, and would effectively waste a year of education.
Original post by KieranJGunn
Many thanks for getting back to me, I see that most men schools require both biology and chemistry at A level, would there be any leeway for someone who would not have chemistry, but excelled in biology? I feel that if I studied chemistry I would not get the required grades, and would effectively waste a year of education.

I'm afraid not - the entry requirements are strict and followed to the letter. Medical schools are extremely oversubscribed, the admissions officers don't have enough places for all the applicants who do meet the entry requirements. They can't afford to create exceptions for those who don't.

Certain foundation courses might meet your needs, but your range of choices will be severely reduced:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Foundation_and_Widening_Access_to_Medicine_Programs

You need to appreciate that without an A in chemistry A level, it will be very difficult for you to get in. What makes you think you won't be able to do well in it?

If you don't get the right A level grades, you might be better off considering graduate entry medicine or going to medical school abroad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending