The Student Room Group

AS AQA GOVP2 June 4th 2015 Predictions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by icanseethemoon
lucky!! i've definitely made a mistake. its the whole of the european union including the devolved governments :frown:. just riding on gov1 now as i found that really easy

without sounding silly, is it too late to pick another topic that you perhaps partially know? you could cram tonight as the exam isn't until 1pm so waking up super early isn't a neccesity
Reply 41
Original post by ellaissy
i have an easy way of remembering how the judiciary is independent if you want it, it's basic lol but it always makes me remember my points?

Yes please! Anything haha I'm so lost
Original post by ellaissy
without sounding silly, is it too late to pick another topic that you perhaps partially know? you could cram tonight as the exam isn't until 1pm so waking up super early isn't a neccesity

noo it's not silly, i was considering it but then i just decided to go ahead with it. i'm hoping that by tommorow i'll have a basic understanding of it just enough to scrape by but thanks for the tip
Original post by emily97
Yes please! Anything haha I'm so lost

Okay haha! Well to remember the reasons why judicial independence exists I always remember that Judges are "SECSSI" (or sexy, ha ha ha) :biggrin:

S - Security of tenure, they have open-ended terms therefore don't have to worry about being laid off if they make a decision against the executive or popular opinion etc.
E - Experience of judges, most senior judges will have served long long terms in apprenticeships as Barristers, therefore personal pride in their career means they wont be influenced by outside pressures

C - Court of contempt - it is a court of contempt for a servant of the government to disclose information publicly regarding a case while it is still undergoing it's legal proceedings

S - Secured salaries! Their wages are set by an independent body and not political parties, so they don't have to be wavered by financial factors in making their decisions

S - Separation of powers - degraded role of Lord Chancellor

I - Independent Appointment Process, they're not appointed by the executive or MP's
How did you think it went guys? athe consitution question was fine but the parliament essay was so vague, I has barely any examples!:-(
Reply 45
Original post by kariskaribu
How did you think it went guys? athe consitution question was fine but the parliament essay was so vague, I has barely any examples!:-(
the exam was not what I expected !
I personally thought that this exam was the hardest that AQA has published so far!!! firstly, I'm sure that Patronage is for the Executive, rather than Government. Secondly, I didn't know what the civil service question wanted me to write, and finally all the stuff i revised didn't even come up!!! :'(
Reply 47
I know right! Most of the stuff I revised in detail didn't come up. But luckily I had some back ground knowledge which I tried to expand on. Power of patronage was the 5 marker for parliament when really power of patronage is to do with the executive (it basically means that the PM has the wright to appoint and dismiss MPs and he can reshuffle his cabinet. I used the example of the new 2015 cabinet government where Mr Gove was promoted from secutary of education to secutary of justice. Then I spoke about the cabinet reshuffle in 2012).
To be honest I didn't really understand that question about civil servants, so I simply wrote what they are, how much they earn, how many of them are there. Then I argued with the question saying yes they are permenant, anonymous and nutural. I also added in some stuff about ministers just in case it was asking about civil servants VS ministers ..
Original post by StarGirlFrankie
I personally thought that this exam was the hardest that AQA has published so far!!! firstly, I'm sure that Patronage is for the Executive, rather than Government. Secondly, I didn't know what the civil service question wanted me to write, and finally all the stuff i revised didn't even come up!!! :'(

yeah, that civil service question completely threw me, I was too scared to attempt it! let's just pray for low grade boundaries 😰
Reply 49
oh god i did so bad. my mind went blank when i opened the paper. i think i did ok on the constitution question but the civil service question completely threw me.

i seriously hope for low grade boundaries.
I was also lost how patronage was related to the context. I just said how patronage is the power of the PM to hire/fire, demote, reshuffle ect of government ministers..
Original post by Layy.98
I know right! Most of the stuff I revised in detail didn't come up. But luckily I had some back ground knowledge which I tried to expand on. Power of patronage was the 5 marker for parliament when really power of patronage is to do with the executive (it basically means that the PM has the wright to appoint and dismiss MPs and he can reshuffle his cabinet. I used the example of the new 2015 cabinet government where Mr Gove was promoted from secutary of education to secutary of justice. Then I spoke about the cabinet reshuffle in 2012).
To be honest I didn't really understand that question about civil servants, so I simply wrote what they are, how much they earn, how many of them are there. Then I argued with the question saying yes they are permenant, anonymous and nutural. I also added in some stuff about ministers just in case it was asking about civil servants VS ministers ..

I pretty much did everything that you said. But I think i agreed with the statement that they are no longer considered permanent , neutral and anonymous to an extent, Cuz of reform which saw the creation of new executive agencies due to civil servants being in efficient and simply too big. No longer nuetral, because after 18 years of Tory rule when Blair came to power their mindset was pretty much conservative and no longer anonymous because of the spotlight put on civil servants as a result of mandarins resigning due to the influx of special advisors. I hope everything I wrote made sense in the exam lol
How did you guys find it? I don't know what to think of it :h: tbh. In the exam I answered the topic Parliament. When I reached the 25 marker.. It hit me! WHY DID I DO THIS TOPIC LOL. But time was against me so I carried on. After speaking to my politics teacher about the questions and my responses I felt so relieved when he told me everything I said was spot on !!!!:biggrin:
Yeah it was the Civil Service 25 marker that threw me, too. I think I did okay besides that. I really struggled to think of examples for the Core Executive 10 marker and wasted a load of time I should have spent pondering the 25 marker.

Core Executive was iffy, but I think Parliament went very smoothly. Hopefully I did 'okay'. I need a B for uni but could probably get away with a C, but I'm not even sure if I'll get that... We'll see! :P

Now for GOVP3 on Monday....
Am I the only one that found the paper easy lol? It was basically last years questions but reworded imo. :/ But I do think I messed up unit 1 :cry2: so hopefully unit 2 will bring my grade up :biggrin:
I did Parliament and Multi-Level Governance. I thought the MPs question was ok actually - I said that they put their party, their nation and their conscience first sometimes. Patronage threw me though and I then tried to say it was the right to sit in the Lords when of course it isn't!
The multilevel governance question was great in my view - local government is dominated by Whitehall and Westminster - which is what my case study was on! All in all I think it was a fair paper for the subjects I did (though the civil service question looked horrible) and I hope to have done better than GOVP1 the other day!
guys for patronage I said it was the power of the prime minister to appoint people to the house of lords do you reckon i'll still get a mark????
Hi, I have an AS resit mock and we're pretty sure it's last year's paper but can't remember all the questions! do you remember the 10 marker for parliament??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending