The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
nikki
Apparently you have to have a full A-level in either English Language/Combined or a foreign language. I'll only have an AS in a foreign language, so they rejected me. I was so annoyed about that, if I had known they had subject requirements, I would never have applied there in the first place!

Oh yes that makes sense, because they want me to get a B in French or English Language...why didn't they say that in their prospectus?

nikki
Yeah, I hope so! The thing I liked the look of about Manchester and Newcastle was that they have lots of modules available to choose from and it seems like you get more choice to study what seems interesting, UCL and SOAS seem to just say "You're doing this, that and the other!".

Haha that's probably right! I think you get the same degree of choice with a Linguistics degree at Lancaster as well - and you can even study a "minor" subject outside the department I think, which is pretty cool :biggrin:
Reply 41
Oooh linguistics people!!!
I'm applying for deferred entry as well XD
got an offer from Sussex and an interview at UCL..
and applied to Newcastle and SOAS as well :smile:
Reply 42
Ywiss
Oh yes that makes sense, because they want me to get a B in French or English Language...why didn't they say that in their prospectus?

I wish I knew!

Haha that's probably right! I think you get the same degree of choice with a Linguistics degree at Lancaster as well - and you can even study a "minor" subject outside the department I think, which is pretty cool :biggrin:

I considered Lancaster, but they were nice enough to state that they want a good grade in English. :smile:

Ellemenope
Oooh linguistics people!!!
I'm applying for deferred entry as well XD
got an offer from Sussex and an interview at UCL..
and applied to Newcastle and SOAS as well :smile:

Yeah, we're rare people aren't we? :smile:

Have you heard anything from Newcastle?
Reply 43
nikki

Have you heard anything from Newcastle?

nope, just a questionnaire for me to fill in about fees and that was it..
Reply 44
I have an interview at UCL on the 19th of February! Yay!!!
Reply 45
supersteiger

Congrats! Yay!!!!

On a separate note, did you only apply to five unis?
Reply 46
No, I originally applied to Sheffield for Speech Science but decided that the course wasn't for me, and that as much as I love my brother I don't want to attend the same university as him at the same time, so I withdrew my application.
Reply 47
supersteiger

omg so have i!!! maybe we'll see each other lol
Reply 48
supersteiger
No, I originally applied to Sheffield for Speech Science but decided that the course wasn't for me, and that as much as I love my brother I don't want to attend the same university as him at the same time, so I withdrew my application.

Haha, quite understandable!
Reply 49
Ellemenope
omg so have i!!! maybe we'll see each other lol

Mine's at 12.30 and I've got Hans van der Koot... :confused:
Reply 50
supersteiger
Mine's at 12.30 and I've got Hans van der Koot... :confused:

ooh mine's at 12 and it's with moira yip..

i've got an offer from newcastle!! YAY
Reply 51
Congratulations!

Are you going on to the lecture and taking the tour as well?
Reply 52
supersteiger
Congratulations!

Are you going on to the lecture and taking the tour as well?

do you mean for UCL? I'm just taking the tour, not the lecture..
I'll go to the lectures if I get in...lol
I remember my interview in KCL lol.. It was quite serious to start off with (the French bit), but when it came to the Linguistics bit.. we actually had a bit of a laugh, especially after I told him my mother tongue was Gujarati. He apparently had this Gujarati friend who he learnt a bit off.. it sounded hilarious when he spoke some :biggrin: Then he kept asking me questions about the structures of Gujarati.

I got the offer héhé.
Hi Guys,

Nice to see some Linguistics students!

Have applied for September 09 entry to do Linguistics at:

Leeds
Manchester
York
UCL
Newcastle

Have offers from York (YAY!), Leeds and Manchester so far, and waiting for UCL and Newcastle.

When do UCL and Newcastle usually get back to us?!

Thanks!
Reply 55
Wow this thread is old! Funny looking back at it - I'm now a 2nd year at York...

Erm, I didn't apply to Newcastle so I don't know about that, but I heard from UCL around this time (told me I had an interview in early Feb) - of course things will vary depending on how many people have applied, what the standard of cohort is like etc.
That's great! Thanks for the info! :smile:

How are you enjoying York? I'm torn between York and UCL as my preference (realistically, so far it's York)!

I'm really excited!
Reply 57
t-a-r-online
That's great! Thanks for the info! :smile:

How are you enjoying York? I'm torn between York and UCL as my preference (realistically, so far it's York)!

I'm really excited!

Hey, you're like I was - I couldn't choose between UCL and York at first either! In the end I chose York - I'd wanted to go there from the start, I wanted to go to a campus uni, plus I wanted to do something as well as just straight Linguistics. York offers Linguistics with English Language, which is basically straight Linguistics, and some modules which study Linguistics in terms of English. Plus you get to learn Old English as your "foreign" language, which I'm finding amazing.

I'm loving York - it's fantastic! The course is everything I'd hoped it'd be - it's very modular, so assessment is done throughout (less stress in final year!) and there's tonnes of choice in 2nd and 3rd year. Lecturers are great too, people are great and the uni itself is fab - if you like ducks! Do come on an open day if you can :biggrin:
Ywiss
Hey, you're like I was - I couldn't choose between UCL and York at first either! In the end I chose York - I'd wanted to go there from the start, I wanted to go to a campus uni, plus I wanted to do something as well as just straight Linguistics. York offers Linguistics with English Language, which is basically straight Linguistics, and some modules which study Linguistics in terms of English. Plus you get to learn Old English as your "foreign" language, which I'm finding amazing.

I'm loving York - it's fantastic! The course is everything I'd hoped it'd be - it's very modular, so assessment is done throughout (less stress in final year!) and there's tonnes of choice in 2nd and 3rd year. Lecturers are great too, people are great and the uni itself is fab - if you like ducks! Do come on an open day if you can :biggrin:

That's great! Thank you for that!

It definitely sounds great... I'm really looking forward to it! I have a letter for open day, and I'm definitely going to come!

The course sounds great - exactly what I'm looking for; if I get to look at gender language then I'll be more than happy!

:biggrin:
t-a-r-online
Hi Guys,

Nice to see some Linguistics students!

Have applied for September 09 entry to do Linguistics at:

Leeds
Manchester
York
UCL
Newcastle

Have offers from York (YAY!), Leeds and Manchester so far, and waiting for UCL and Newcastle.

When do UCL and Newcastle usually get back to us?!

Thanks!

Hey,

Just to say that UCL got back to me about 2 weeks or so after my interview, maybe it was sooner I don't remember. My interview was in early January, so it would have been around this time of year. I applied in October and I got details of my interview date in November sometime, so I guess it depends on when you apply in the first place. Have you recieved details of the interview yet?

Latest

Trending

Trending