The Student Room Group

Student bank account (Under 18)

Hello,

I am trying to find a student bank account, but at the start of term I will be under 18 (moved up a year). So far Barclays said I cannot even start an application before I am 18, and although the person in Santander said that I could apply as soon as I have my acceptance letter their "Key Facts Document" states:

To be eligible for this account, you must be 18 years old or over, live in the UK for tax purposes, not already hold a Santander 1I2I3 StudentCurrent Account and be able to provide proof of student status.

Are there any banks that offer an account (even with limited extras until I am 18)? Does anyone have any experience / advice to offer?

Thanks
Reply 1
All the banks do under-18 accounts. They are usually marketed as children's or young people's savings accounts but most give a cash/debit card, although not a cheque book. The main difference is that they will not allow you to go overdrawn, but as a plus they usually pay interest on your balance. Some banks let you convert junior accounts to full adult accounts or student accounts at age 18. Try The Guardian, MoneySaving Expert or Which Magazine for comparisons and best buys .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending