The Student Room Group

American Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Heynothing24
Hi guys!

I'm not an American student (I live in the UK) but I just saw this thread and if you want to ask me any questions go ahead.

For example you can ask me questions on different universities that I have visited which are:

Leeds
Manchester
Loughborough
Birmingham
UCL
KCL
Surrey
Reading
RVC
Cambridge

I hope you don't feel like I have intruded on your thread!

You haven't intruded at all!

What did you think of Surrey? That's one of the universities I'm applying for...
Original post by sal_ome
Tell me about King's :smile: How did you feel about it?

What do you plan on studying? Because then I can tell you more about that specific campus
Reply 42
Original post by Heynothing24
What do you plan on studying? Because then I can tell you more about that specific campus

Strand! My offer is for politics.
Just found this thread and thought I'd contribute :smile:

I'm not an American student, but I do study in an American system. I'm applying to:

Cambridge

Edinburgh

Manchester

Sheffield

Glasgow

I received offer from Glasgow several weeks ago for Molecular and Cellular Biology. Keeping my fingers :crossedf: for everything else. :smile:))
Original post by sal_ome
Strand! My offer is for politics.

Oooo, strand is a really nice campus. I think it's kinda old and is really pretty and literally right in the centre of London. As I said earlier the experience you get of a London university is different to that of a campus university and the accommodation is expensive but the strand campus is definitely really nice. If you want a London university, it's a really good one!
Original post by thalprice
Is there any particular advantage to submitting your application early?

No. Universities are required to treat all applications before the 15 January deadline for most courses equally.
Original post by cytja_0288
You haven't intruded at all!

What did you think of Surrey? That's one of the universities I'm applying for...

I was hoping someone would ask me about Surrey because that's the one I know most about because I am applying there and my brother goes there so I have visited it three times. First of all, it's a really nice campus like the grounds are beautiful and it has this really nice lake. The facilities at Surrey are really good, particularly for the sciences, and it's Year in industry programmes is one of the best. Also, it has gone up in the league tables over the years and it's considered a really good uni (I know of loads of people who are applying there). As well as that, Guildford is a really nice town in a nice area, and it's only thirty minutes away from London. The only downside to it would be it's quieter than other places like Manchester or London but if you're looking for that then it's really good!
My absolute dream! Congratulations! I haven't even applied yet. What were your qualitications?

Thank you!! x

My qualifications:

AP US History: 5, AP Psych: 5, AP Human Geo: 5, AP Environmental Science: 5, AP World History: 4, SAT II Literature: 730, ACT: 30
Original post by Regulus
Wow holy crap congratulations, that's huge!! :smile:

I just turned in my UCAS/COPA like ten minutes ago; I can't even imagine getting an interview, much less an offer :P I'm a little late to the party but you guys all seem super cool!

My choices are
University of Cambridge (Trinity College)
University College London
Imperial College London
University of Manchester
Durham University
I'm hoping to go for Phys NatSci in (astro)physics.

Are all your parents cool with your decisions to study in the UK? My parents seem upset that I'm even applying and it bums me out >.>

Also, do we have to send in SAT/ACT/AP scores? Or is self-reporting good enough?

I'm sure you'll get amazing offers don't worry :smile: My parents are okay with it because although I'm studying an American curriculum (because of moving countries), I'm originally English and most of my family still lives there xx

You should explain to them all the positives that going to uni in the UK has and that a 3 year course could potentially be cheaper than a 4 year American course
Reply 49
I'm actually English but I've been living in the States for 6 years now so I'm really an American applicant! I just sent off my UCAS app two days ago (feels so weird honestly!) and I'm doing the IB diploma.

I'm applying to:
Durham: Ancient, Medieval and Modern History
Exeter: History and International Relations
Edinburgh: History
Cardiff: History
Nottingham: History

So far I've only visited Durham (which I adored) but I'm going to London at Christmas to see family so I'm going to visit Exeter during that visit :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by afern
I'm actually English but I've been living in the States for 6 years now so I'm really an American applicant! I just sent off my UCAS app two days ago (feels so weird honestly!) and I'm doing the IB diploma.

I'm applying to:
Durham: Ancient, Medieval and Modern History
Exeter: History and International Relations
Edinburgh: History
Cardiff: History
Nottingham: History

So far I've only visited Durham (which I adored) but I'm going to London at Christmas to see family so I'm going to visit Exeter during that visit :smile:

Eeep, good choices!! Best of luck to you :biggrin:
Hey, I was wondering if there are any benefits to applying early through UCAS. it sounds like a lot of applicants already have turned everything, and that some have received offers. Should I be submitting my application prior to the January deadline?
Original post by sabkeating
Hey, I was wondering if there are any benefits to applying early through UCAS. it sounds like a lot of applicants already have turned everything, and that some have received offers. Should I be submitting my application prior to the January deadline?

When we were having presentations in school about uni and UCAS they told us the benefits of applying early were that, say the entry requirements were AAA-AAB (this doesn't really apply if you haven't done A-Level or IB I guess) you were more likely to receive an offer for the lower entry requirements. Also (again I don't know if this would apply to you) you are more likely to be given an unconditional offer (this is kinda disputed but still)

So overall, the benefits aren't massive other than that you can get it out of the way sooner
Just submitted my UCAS application for International Relations/Politics at KCL, Goldsmiths, Queen Mary, Royal Holloway, and City University London. How long do you guys think it will take for me to hear back?
Reply 54
Just submitted my UCAS application for International Relations/Politics at KCL, Goldsmiths, Queen Mary, Royal Holloway, and City University London. How long do you guys think it will take for me to hear back?

KCL should get back quickly, as should Queen Mary (i've heard back from both). The rest I'm not sure of! Very good course and uni choices :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sal_ome
KCL should get back quickly, as should Queen Mary (i've heard back from both). The rest I'm not sure of! Very good course and uni choices :wink:

Great, thanks! How long did it take to hear back?
Reply 56
Great, thanks! How long did it take to hear back?

King's, maybe 18 days or so from when they recieved my application. Queen Mary recieved it later (after I got my King's offer), so it was the same amount of time, just shifted down a few weeks. Keep in mind that it might take longer now - the amount of applications being sent in now is quite a bit higher than it was when I sent mine it. Best of luck!
Original post by sal_ome
King's, maybe 18 days or so from when they recieved my application. Queen Mary recieved it later (after I got my King's offer), so it was the same amount of time, just shifted down a few weeks. Keep in mind that it might take longer now - the amount of applications being sent in now is quite a bit higher than it was when I sent mine it. Best of luck!

Thanks!
St. Andrews asked me for my high school information and I sent it in 3 weeks ago, but I still haven't had a decision back :/ could this be a bad sign?
Original post by blueeyedgirl22
St. Andrews asked me for my high school information and I sent it in 3 weeks ago, but I still haven't had a decision back :/ could this be a bad sign?

I don't think so, this is peak application time and they're probably swamped at the moment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending