The Student Room Group

American Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by poemsandpromises
Hi. Those of you hearing from St. Andrews, how did you apply? Are you hearing via email or via the UCAS system? Thanks. Anxiously waiting...

I applied through UCAS and received an email through UCAS, still waiting for an email from the uni x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Due to the difficult circumstances at home, I won't be able to apply for admission/audition into my drama school choices until next year/fall 2016 for the fall 2017 entry.

I'm crushed because my heart was set on attending this year, but without a job or enough scholarships to help provide funding, it's almost impossible.

I hope all of you do well wherever you end up, and have a great time!
Just out of curiosity, is it possible to actually apply to 5 choices through UCAS and then more through the Common App?
Reply 83
Original post by Student403
Just out of curiosity, is it possible to actually apply to 5 choices through UCAS and then more through the Common App?

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting! Couldn't all British students do this too, then? Or is sitting either the SAT or ACT a requirement for applying through CA?
Reply 85
Hi!

I'm an American student as well, and I've applied to five British universities through UCAS:

University of Edinburgh (International Relations)
St. Andrews (International Relations + French)
Cambridge (Politics)
LSE (International Relations)
KCL (European Studies + French)

I submitted my application on October 14, and I've received unconditional offers from Edinburgh and St. Andrews, a conditional offer from KCL (I'll make the condition easy), and a rejection from Cambridge, which I knew was a long shot from the beginning.

I originally applied to four schools through UCAS, and was debating either UCL or KCL as my last choice. I finally decided on KCL because I loved their European Studies program, but as I read more and more about the two schools, I'm regretting my decision more and more. It would be my dream to go to LSE, but that's just as much of a long shot as Cambridge.

Stats:
APs - 5 on Spanish Language and French, 4 on English Literature (taking Spanish Lit, English Lang, Calc AB, and APUSH exams this year)
SAT IIs - 760 on Lit, 740 on Spanish, 630 on Math (yikes)
ACT - 33
GPA - 4.3

I attend a rigorous college prep high school in the US and did a year abroad in France.
Reply 86
Original post by rennaise
Hi!

I'm an American student as well, and I've applied to five British universities through UCAS:

University of Edinburgh (International Relations)
St. Andrews (International Relations + French)
Cambridge (Politics)
LSE (International Relations)
KCL (European Studies + French)

I submitted my application on October 14, and I've received unconditional offers from Edinburgh and St. Andrews, a conditional offer from KCL (I'll make the condition easy), and a rejection from Cambridge, which I knew was a long shot from the beginning.

I originally applied to four schools through UCAS, and was debating either UCL or KCL as my last choice. I finally decided on KCL because I loved their European Studies program, but as I read more and more about the two schools, I'm regretting my decision more and more. It would be my dream to go to LSE, but that's just as much of a long shot as Cambridge.

Stats:
APs - 5 on Spanish Language and French, 4 on English Literature (taking Spanish Lit, English Lang, Calc AB, and APUSH exams this year)
SAT IIs - 760 on Lit, 740 on Spanish, 630 on Math (yikes)
ACT - 33
GPA - 4.3

I attend a rigorous college prep high school in the US and did a year abroad in France.

Hi! Congrats on your offers! I also received an unconditional to study (English) at St. Andrews 🙂 I'm still waiting to hear back from QMUL & Exeter for English & French. What do you think of London? I've never visited, but right now I think St. Andrews is my top choice. London's just so expensive & obviously it has higher crime rates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Hi there,
My daughter is going to be spending the last two years of her education in the US (after she finishes her GCSE's) as we (her family) have been posted to Florida with the military. We are a little worried that if she doesn't do A-levels and just gets a High School Diploma that she will have trouble attending a University here in the UK when our appointment is over. Can you shed any light on this and give her any advice as to what she should do so that she doesn't limit herself? She may want to go to a US University but I don't want to narrow her prospects incase she wants to go back to the UK with us.
Are you having a lot of trouble applying to UK universities with a high school diploma?
Hope you can help.

Thanks
Your daughter will need to simulate A-levels through AP/IB exams, possibly along with SAT or ACT and SAT subject tests. Enroll her at a school that offers a lot of AP subjects and they are available to juniors (11th grade). Aim at having her pass 3 AP exams by the end of her junior year to be able to receive unconditional offers from universities. Note that some APs count only as 1/2 for ucas tariff points (check ucas for details). Check university websites for american requirements, they are really straightforward.

It was a walk in the park for us applying with american qualifications through ucas. My daughter has offers from UCL, Edinburgh and St.Andrews as of now. I wish applying to american colleges was as easy as ucas application :smile:)

Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 89
Original post by SGrice
Hi! Congrats on your offers! I also received an unconditional to study (English) at St. Andrews 🙂 I'm still waiting to hear back from QMUL & Exeter for English & French. What do you think of London? I've never visited, but right now I think St. Andrews is my top choice. London's just so expensive & obviously it has higher crime rates.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've visited St. Andrews as well as London, and in terms of choosing a location, I'd definitely pick London. St. Andrews is in the middle of nowhere - there isn't even a train station. To get there from Edinburgh, you have to take a train to a different town, Leuchars, and then a bus. Once you get there, there isn't much to do besides study and party. London is one of the great cities of the world, and it has good public transportation, museums, shops, theaters, etc. Also, if you plan to travel while at university, it's a lot easier (and often cheaper) to get to mainland Europe from London. My host brother went to QMUL, and he had a great experience while there.

In terms of crime, most cities in Europe will have lower crime rates than cities in the US. I, a female teenager, walked around London with another female teenager, and we never felt unsafe, even at night.

If you have any other questions, let me know. Congrats on your offer!
Reply 90
Original post by Student403
Interesting! Couldn't all British students do this too, then? Or is sitting either the SAT or ACT a requirement for applying through CA?

There are testing-optional schools in the US (there's a list of them if you google it) but most of the big name schools (the Ivies, Stanford, NYU etc.) will require ACTs or SATs along with SAT IIs (though some places if you take the ACT don't require SAT IIs).
Reply 91
Original post by rennaise
I've visited St. Andrews as well as London, and in terms of choosing a location, I'd definitely pick London. St. Andrews is in the middle of nowhere - there isn't even a train station. To get there from Edinburgh, you have to take a train to a different town, Leuchars, and then a bus. Once you get there, there isn't much to do besides study and party. London is one of the great cities of the world, and it has good public transportation, museums, shops, theaters, etc. Also, if you plan to travel while at university, it's a lot easier (and often cheaper) to get to mainland Europe from London. My host brother went to QMUL, and he had a great experience while there.

In terms of crime, most cities in Europe will have lower crime rates than cities in the US. I, a female teenager, walked around London with another female teenager, and we never felt unsafe, even at night.

If you have any other questions, let me know. Congrats on your offer!

Thanks for your advice! I'll definitely keep in mind as I consider my options! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Hey, guys! I know it's been a while, but my parents and I are still really torn about me going to school internationally.
I was just wondering how y'all are coping with it/ how your parents feel. I have an unconditional to St Andrews, and I want to take it, but these are our concerns:

1) Quality of education. I've been accepted to some American schools that are ranked higher than St. As and are less expensive.

2) Being isolated from my family. I would only be able to come home twice a year for Christmas and Summer, and I have three siblings so I'd be missing out on a lot.

3) Getting a job after graduation. I plan on going to grad school in the US, so hopefully I'll be okay, but St As doesn't have a placement program for the US.

4) Cost. It's expensive— will the experience be worth it?

5) And, of course, being alone in foreign country and all of the implications that carries.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! What are y'all doing/ how are you handling this decision?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SGrice
Hey, guys! I know it's been a while, but my parents and I are still really torn about me going to school internationally.
I was just wondering how y'all are coping with it/ how your parents feel. I have an unconditional to St Andrews, and I want to take it, but these are our concerns:

1) Quality of education. I've been accepted to some American schools that are ranked higher than St. As and are less expensive.

2) Being isolated from my family. I would only be able to come home twice a year for Christmas and Summer, and I have three siblings so I'd be missing out on a lot.

3) Getting a job after graduation. I plan on going to grad school in the US, so hopefully I'll be okay, but St As doesn't have a placement program for the US.

4) Cost. It's expensive— will the experience be worth it?

5) And, of course, being alone in foreign country and all of the implications that carries.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! What are y'all doing/ how are you handling this decision?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Consider asking this to people who are in a similar position to you on the St Andrews Class of 2020 page :smile: - plenty of Americans will have gone through similar questions before they set on St Andrews.
(edited 7 years ago)
It seems that you have very good reasons to stay in the US. You can always do a year abroad.
Is anyone applying for postgrad?
Hey from Texas!

So I am having a hard time picking which uni I want to go to. I have received offers from a couple, but I am really deciding between Essex and Aberdeen. I will be studying international relations.

Do y'all know anything about these universities?

Thank you!
Reply 97
Hello! I'm from California. Has anyone been confirmed a place by universities yet, since AP scores were sent to universities June/July? Does anyone know when universities will make final decisions (confirm or reject conditional offers depending on AP or other results) for American students? Thank you!
Reply 98
hey guys don't want to seem like a downer, but if you're going to travel this far then as a student in england, try to go for the better universities! Places like Queen Mary and Essex really are not the best and the qualification won't be looked upon as highly as Kings, UCL, Oxbridge, Surrey, Bath or Bristol! Just thought Id give my opinion! :smile:
Laurett- maybe not everyone has the qualifications for those schools you mentioned -

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest