The Student Room Group

American Applicants 2016

A bit early, but this thread is for American applicants to UK universities for autumn/fall of 2016.

I'm just gonna list my choices (as of now) and subject, to start the convo.

Subject: Computer Science (with Business where possible)

Schools:
University of Cambridge
Durham University
University of Warwick
King's College London

I need a 5th, so any advice would also be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Hey there! I realize your post was from a while ago, but there aren't a lot of US people on here (as far as I've seen) for 2016 so I figured I'd chime in. :smile:

Subject: History

Schools:
Durham University (Maybe I'll see you there!)
University of St. Andrews
University of Brighton
Queen Mary University of London

I'm kinda iffy on the last two and I'm still looking at a couple of others but I'm really hoping to get into Durham.
Have you started your UCAS application yet? I've been working on mine but it's definitely a work in progress.
Hey! I'm also applying as an American/international applicant for 2016.

Subject: Politics + Philosophy

Schools:
St. Andrews
Edinburgh
KCL
East Anglia
Sussex

Do we need to submit our high school transcripts to the universities?
Hi!
I'm not entirely sure but from what I've read, most universities don't require it but they might ask for it after you submit your application.
Reply 4
oh yay, this is me! Actually applying 2017 deferred entry, but applying to Arab and Islamic Studies (and related courses) at Exeter, Edinburgh, Leeds, Manchester, and SOAS (Arabic and Turkish). Really hoping to go to Exeter. I've never been to the UK, but I've kind of fallen in love with Exeter's Arab and Islamic Studies program. I am finished my application (technically graduated early and am spending my senior year in Thailand) and ready to submit when September comes around (and whenever my reference finishes writing my reference, haha)
Hi!

I'm also an American applicant who applied in 2013/2014, but had to defer entry until 2015, only to find out that the program isn't the one I wanted to study after speaking with the department head. Here's hoping that this time around I get somewhere in what I hope to study.

I want to study acting as a postgraduate, hoping to get my MA from one of these universities:

University of Surrey - Guildford School of Acting
University of Essex - East 15 Acting School
Birmingham City University
Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts
London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts (LAMDA)

I'm very scared of the audition process, so I'm gathering my monologues now and reading plays to see which one is the best for me. Wish me luck!
Original post by cytja_0288
Hi!

I'm also an American applicant who applied in 2013/2014, but had to defer entry until 2015, only to find out that the program isn't the one I wanted to study after speaking with the department head. Here's hoping that this time around I get somewhere in what I hope to study.

I want to study acting as a postgraduate, hoping to get my MA from one of these universities:

University of Surrey - Guildford School of Acting
University of Essex - East 15 Acting School
Birmingham City University
Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts
London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts (LAMDA)

I'm very scared of the audition process, so I'm gathering my monologues now and reading plays to see which one is the best for me. Wish me luck!

Good luck! :smile: I'm just finishing up writing my personal statement- the format is SO different from the Common App essay
Reply 7
Hi !!
I am also an american student applying to UK schools! It's so stressful!

Subject: International Relations
Choices:
University College London
University of Oxford
London School of Economics
St. Andrews
University of Edinburgh

I just started my UCAS application and it's so different from the Common App! Any suggestions about the applications process or even if they know any other school that is known for International Relations would be really appreciated!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
My app is ready to press submit as soon as it opens...does anyone know what date 2016 submissions open? I read somewhere we could submit September 1st, but I also read "mid-September" elsewhere
Hey guys I posted a little while ago about applying to St. Andrews, Edinburgh, KCL, UEA and Sussex for Politics and Philosophy, but am now switching my major to International Relations! IR covers everything I'm interested in anyway :smile:

Writing the personal statement for P+P was too tricky as different unis had different course names- has anyone else had this problem?

I also submitted my app to UCAS on September 18th and received an acknowledgment email from St. Andrew's already- Ahhh I'm so nervous! Fingers crossed! Good luck everyone xx
I'm also a US student applying to some UK unis.

Course: International Relations
1. King's College London
2. Royal Holloway, University of London
3. City University London (soon to be University of London as well)
4. Queen Mary, University of London

I'm applying to a joint History and International Relations degree at King's College in addition. I won't submit my UCAS application until I get my SAT scores back int the end of October but oh well. Is there any particular advantage to submitting your application early? Anyway, I think I've pretty much figured the whole process out specifically for US applicants so if you guys have any questions let me know!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
I'm not american, but I am an international student, (from Norway), applying for next year.
Course: Psychology with criminology.

Royal Holloway, Uni of London
Essex
Lincoln
Chester
Winchester

Anyone in the same boat as me?
^ I'm also applying to Royal Holloway for next but for International Relations :P
Original post by blueeyedgirl22
Hey! I'm also applying as an American/international applicant for 2016.

Subject: Politics + Philosophy

Schools:
St. Andrews
Edinburgh
KCL
East Anglia
Sussex

Do we need to submit our high school transcripts to the universities?

I don't think so, but some unis like Queen Mary, University of London have a minimum 3.3 GPA as one of their entry requirements for US applicants. I would email the unis you're applying to just to make sure. I'm relatively certain that KCL doesn't need your transcript but I'd check just to confirm. On my UCAS account under the 'Education' section I have my high school diploma with all the classes I have taken since 9th grade (listed as modules) and what grade I received in each in case the unis I'm applying to want to see or calculate my GPA.
I'm also a US student applying to some UK unis.

Subject: International Relations
1. King's College London
2. Royal Holloway, University of London
3. City University London (soon to be University of London as well)
4. Goldsmiths College, University of London

I'm applying to a joint History and International Relations degree at King's College in addition. I think I've pretty much figured the whole process out specifically for US applicants so if you guys have any questions let me know!
I'm American and interested in International Relations and Politics as well.

My top choices are:

University of Sheffield
University of Edinburgh
Bristol University
University of Birmingham
Cardiff University

:biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ShelGroo
I'm American and interested in International Relations and Politics as well.

My top choices are:

University of Sheffield
University of Edinburgh
Bristol University
University of Birmingham
Cardiff University

:biggrin:

Bristol University is really pretty it has a great location right in the middle of Bristol. I went for an open day but decided not to apply because I think I want to be more in London :K:
I've heard it has a great International Relations course though!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by thalprice
Bristol University is really pretty it has a great location right in the middle of Bristol. I went for an open day but decided not to apply because I think I want to be more in London :K:
I've heard it has a great International Relations course though!

Thanks for letting me know! I would be interested in London universities except I don't want to pay the high cost of living! I'm touring all the universities in November so I'm really excited to see them in person :h:
Hey, I'm an American student too. I'm applying to major in psychology at:

University of Surrey
University of Glasgow
University of Aberdeen
University of Reading
University of Stirling

Does anyone know how big of a role grades play in the selection process? My test scores are much stronger than my GPA so I'm a bit worried.
Original post by sabkeating
Hey, I'm an American student too. I'm applying to major in psychology at:

University of Surrey
University of Glasgow
University of Aberdeen
University of Reading
University of Stirling

Does anyone know how big of a role grades play in the selection process? My test scores are much stronger than my GPA so I'm a bit worried.

Most universities don't even look at GPA and if they do, a 3.0 is generally all they ask.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending