The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Sports At University?

So I'm off to university in September (hopefully!) and I'm set on joining a sports team, most probably Football or American Football. So I guess what I want to ask is if it's worth doing it and whether you get the chance to take it further (i.e. get scouted and go on to play professionally)?

I know with the course I'm taking that balancing out the time between the academics and social is going to pretty hard so any tips on how to do so? It would be nice to hear what societies you found enjoyable or will join at uni?

Original post by Shooby-Doo
So I'm off to university in September (hopefully!) and I'm set on joining a sports team, most probably Football or American Football. So I guess what I want to ask is if it's worth doing it and whether you get the chance to take it further (i.e. get scouted and go on to play professionally)?

I know with the course I'm taking that balancing out the time between the academics and social is going to pretty hard so any tips on how to do so? It would be nice to hear what societies you found enjoyable or will join at uni?

Well let's be realistic here, if you were good enough to be a professional footballer then you'd have been picked up well before getting to University, so if you're thinking that you're going to play for the Uni team and get scouted and signed by a professional club as a result of that then you're deluding yourself.

American Football is a bit different, in that it's not unheard of for people to pick the game up late and end up turning professional. Admittedly that's only ever really happened with people over in the USA (except for a couple of guys over here but both were top class athletes in other sports before making the switch to American Football), but conceivably if you were to start playing American Football over here at University and were a physical freak, so some combination of unnaturally strong, fast or nimble, then there might potentially be the very, very slim chance that you could find your way into the professional game, but unless you are an absolute freak of nature in terms of your physical abilities then that's not ever going to happen.

Anyway, to answer your question about whether or not it's worth playing sport at University, of course it is. Keeps you active, can help keep you fit and it's a good way to meet people who have at least one shared interest plus most sports have a pretty good social side too. Even if you're not very good at a sport it's still worth playing. I absolutely suck at Cricket, am in the lowest team at University but still love the game, like the club, and enjoy playing it at University.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending