The Student Room Group

GCSE physics coursework: no answers to the questions set?!

Hi! I'm doing the GCSE science coursework, and physics is making my hair fall out! The questions that have been set are nearly impossible to find information on. I'm on the research phase, wherein I need to find about 4 sources to answer the 4 questions, set on the density, resistivity, and cost of copper, steel, and aluminium, and their advantages/disadvantages when used in electrical cables. However, when researching them, I cannot find any sites that answer the questions, especially about steel, and the density/resistivity of each metal. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I could look? I'm really running out of ideas!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Aluminum vs. Copper WireWhile copper wire is increasingly more popular than aluminum wire, aluminum isn’t without its distinct advantages. Likewise, copper has disadvantages just like aluminum does. When you’re deciding on which material is best for your project, you have to weigh the pros and cons of both.Pros and Cons of Aluminum WireAluminum wire is generally easier to work with than copper, because it is lightweight and easy to manipulate. This makes it popular when making connections across long distances. Also making it popular for long-distance applications is the cost, as aluminum wiring is significantly less expensive than copper. When you work with copper wiring, you can need up to twice as much actual wiring than you would using aluminum, and that adds up.However, aluminum is more susceptible to corrosion, and requires periodic replacement. Water and even certain metals corrode aluminum, and the more it corrodes, the more it represents a fire hazard. Traditionally, aluminum wire that isn’t properly maintained or installed can be a liability—if carefully installed and replaced, though, this risk is significantly reduced.Pros and Cons of Copper WireCopper wire is instead of aluminum more and more, though it isn’t without its faults. As far as pros go, copper is an extremely powerful electrical conductor, and it is much more stable over time than aluminum. It withstands higher temperatures than aluminum does, and it doesn’t corrode to the same effect. Because of its long life and resistance to damage, it doesn’t need replaced nearly as often.With that longevity, however, comes a price. Copper is significantly more expensive than aluminum wire, and requires a much larger initial investment. Not only that, but the material is heavier, which may necessitate more structural support.Because of their different capabilities and prices, neither aluminum nor copper wire are going away anytime soon. The pros of one material are the cons of another, so it all depends on your application of them. For example, aluminum remains a favorite material in the construction of airplanes for its light weight, while investing in copper can raise the value of a home.
Reply 3
Original post by Iloveuuu
Aluminum vs. Copper WireWhile copper wire is increasingly more popular than aluminum wire, aluminum isn’t without its distinct advantages. Likewise, copper has disadvantages just like aluminum does. When you’re deciding on which material is best for your project, you have to weigh the pros and cons of both.Pros and Cons of Aluminum WireAluminum wire is generally easier to work with than copper, because it is lightweight and easy to manipulate. This makes it popular when making connections across long distances. Also making it popular for long-distance applications is the cost, as aluminum wiring is significantly less expensive than copper. When you work with copper wiring, you can need up to twice as much actual wiring than you would using aluminum, and that adds up.However, aluminum is more susceptible to corrosion, and requires periodic replacement. Water and even certain metals corrode aluminum, and the more it corrodes, the more it represents a fire hazard. Traditionally, aluminum wire that isn’t properly maintained or installed can be a liability—if carefully installed and replaced, though, this risk is significantly reduced.Pros and Cons of Copper WireCopper wire is instead of aluminum more and more, though it isn’t without its faults. As far as pros go, copper is an extremely powerful electrical conductor, and it is much more stable over time than aluminum. It withstands higher temperatures than aluminum does, and it doesn’t corrode to the same effect. Because of its long life and resistance to damage, it doesn’t need replaced nearly as often.With that longevity, however, comes a price. Copper is significantly more expensive than aluminum wire, and requires a much larger initial investment. Not only that, but the material is heavier, which may necessitate more structural support.Because of their different capabilities and prices, neither aluminum nor copper wire are going away anytime soon. The pros of one material are the cons of another, so it all depends on your application of them. For example, aluminum remains a favorite material in the construction of airplanes for its light weight, while investing in copper can raise the value of a home.

Thanks for the help! I'd already got that link, and it's actually finding information about steel that is stressing me out, but thank you for explaining the info on the page. Sometimes there's so much information to process that my mind gets overwhelmed!
Reply 4
No problem :smile:
What are the 4 questions you had to do because I need them for my coursework and I forgot them
Reply 6
Original post by Jameshuckle
What are the 4 questions you had to do because I need them for my coursework and I forgot them

the questions i got were these, but idk if yours would be the same
examples of different types of electrical cables and the metals used inthem
what is meant by the terms density and resistivity
the cost, density and resistivity of copper, steel and aluminium
the advantages and disadvantages of using copper, steel and aluminiumin electrical cables.
Can you tell me the types of electrical wires and the metals used in them please. i cannot find them anywhere on the internet. also can you list the sources as i need them for my bibliography.
essentially the last question uses what you find for the values of cost etc. So for steel, I said it is cheap as an advantage referencing where I found the cost and for the disadvantages I said it has a high resistivity and density referencing where I found those values :smile:
Hi guys do you remember the questions for the exam paper as aim doing the test on Friday?
hello,
can you remember what the exam paper questions were?????
Do you guys remember the questions from the exam paper? Doing it Friday?
Thanks a lot
What was your hypothesis for this cw because we were not given one and im kinda stuck on how to write it
thank you:smile:
Reply 15
I have this research task and coursework too, I don't have any idea what to pose as a hypothesis though. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by Habiba12
What was your hypothesis for this cw because we were not given one and im kinda stuck on how to write it
thank you:smile:

Longer the wire the decrease in voltage as the electrons hit of each other due too no room
Wider the the wire the voltage increases as theirs more path ways for the electrons to go through
Reply 17
What's a good source for finding the costs of the three metals?
can you please help me on which sources you used for question 3? :smile:
This actually helped me so much! Thank you! You saved me so much time!

Quick Reply

Latest