The Student Room Group

Should me and my gf take a break?

Me and my gf have only been officially together 2 months (seeing each other since christmas time). Recently I've just felt it's not going as well as i planned. She's really sweet, attractive but will love me despite my problems. For example I was really ill when we were 'seeing' each other and she'd often see me even though I had diarrhea and a really bad skin condition at that point. She's also kind as I have premature ejaculation and always worried she'd be unhappy but she's always respectful about it.

However she is very emotional and it gets to the point that every time I see her there will be at least one thing that'll upset her, get her angry etc. I understand this does happen but I start to think whether it's worth it if I'm more of a carer than an actual boyfriend. I don't see why I should be in a negative mood from seeing someone else who is upset/negative a lot of the time.

She also has financial problems - I'm not a b*tch at all or anything. I understand it is hard. Basically her mum is in hospital with depression so it is only her dad who works (she works part time) and her dad doesn't earn much at all. It means that she has to buy everything herself (eg food). This isn't a problem but near the end of the month she's always struggling for cash and when we meet up and do stuff I'm constantly paying for everything (this is out of choice as I feel bad for her). But I sometimes think that when I'm spending £50 a week on her if it's worth it when there's other problems alongside.

I'm naturally quite 'cold'. I don't cry at funerals, I don't really fall in love etc. And as much as I like her as a person (inside as well as out - she's attractive) I don't know if I actually 'love' her. I've never really fallen in love. As much as I always make myself try it I never do. Maybe it's just because I'm very self sufficient and independent. As I said, I do like how kind and caring and attractive she is but am I actually in love with her?

I'm thinking about taking a break from her to work things out and see how I feel without her around me for about 3 weeks. Do you think this is a good idea? Do you think I should break up? Do you think I should sort things out?
I don't want her to get upset though if we go on a break or break up altogether
Don't, for the love of all that you hold sacred, break up with her.
She is emotional, this could just be because she is struggling and is in need of some support, hearing about her financial and familial problems. Just stay there for her, just be the shoulder for her to cry on when she needs it. Your girlfriend sounds like a great woman, and it sounds like you do love her, then again I am like you in that i don't express my emotions very well or often so I have very little more than the way you talk about her to base this off, it sounds like you care, a lot, about her and her well-being.
Just help her through her problems, one at a time until she is how she was at the beginning of the relationship.
Reply 3
I think that you should stay with her. She is clearly going through a tough period in her life, and this shouldn't mean that you'd be wrong to leave her, as that would be unfair on you, but if you do stay with her, your relationship would get stronger. Forgive me if that doesn't make much sense, I will try to explain a little bit more if you need it, but staying with her at this time will create an extremely strong bond between the two of you, which means that even if you decide to break up in the end, you can still be there for each other.
(edited 8 years ago)
Breaks are pointless, they never work. If you are not happy with her then it is best to be honest and break it off
You've been together for a couple of months only and you're having doubts ... Honestly, I think you should clean just break this off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending