The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

yes. people aged over 73 should be given 2 votes.
Original post by Lionheart96
No, do you?

No. At least there is some consistency in your argument. So British citizens only.
The reason why old people should vote is because the government affects them. Even if they go on to live another year, what they vote for affects them.
Yes, they should.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike the political leanings of most elderly folk. However, old people are already infantilised beyond their dignity: painted with a brush as 'senile', ignored by most. Their work in caring for grandchildern is often overlooked thanklessly, and many aren't healthy enough to work physically, or even leave the house too often. This in despite of the fact that most are still amongst the most mentally acute and learned in our society.

I couldn't deprive them of the last tatters of power they hold, as most have lost their voices elsewhere.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tim_123
So your saying an 80 year old will not live to see the policies of a party be implemented in 5 years?

How old are you out of interest

Chances are they will, Policies don't have a 5 year end by date, they last longer than that.
Ok how about i change the question slightly, should old people be allowed to vote in important referendums such as the scottish independence or the EU vote?
The OAP vote is trivial, really. Everybody gets old, so everybody will maintain pensions and other benefits for the elderly. Also, people these days can't bear the thought of looking after their own parents in to their old age, so it's in their best interest to put them in an old people home. Shame, really, because it's not in their children's best interests to take their grandparents away from them, but that's the selfish society we live in.

I'm all for stripping the OAPs of their vote, if it's the only alternative to linking the vote to property ownership/marriage. Min. age 25 max age 70.
Original post by Sir Candour
Yes, they should.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike the political leanings of most elderly folk. However, old people are already infantilised beyond their dignity: painted with a brush as 'senile', ignored by most. Their work in caring for grandchildern is often overlooked thanklessly, and many aren't healthy enough to work physically, or even leave the house too often. This in despite of the fact that most are still amongst the most mentally acute and learned in our society.

I couldn't deprive them of the last tatters of power they hold, as most have most their voices elsewhere.
The only thing that's keeping this country in the correect direction is the elder vote. If it was ever down to the ignorant naive left wing fascists you call Labour or Green voters, this country would have gone to the dogs a long time ago.
fwiw, the only age restriction I think there should be is that only over 30's, or something equally 'aged', should vote.

Right now we can vote at 18. What the hell do they know about anything. I'm 24 and I still wouldn't say I've had enough out of life to be sure what I believe is important politically. Until you're old enough, by definition, you're inferring from not enough experience.
Of course. Many live to 80, some even to 90/100 years old. You can't just say "you're going to die soon, you can't vote"
I think that they should. Many of them fought for this country and yes I know that many voting will not see the full impact of their vote. Maybe if more young people voted we would have a government that truly reflected how our population want our future to be. Just saying.
Chances are they will, Policies don't have a 5 year end by date, they last longer than that.
Ok how about i change the question slightly, should old people be allowed to vote in important referendums such as the scottish independence or the EU vote?

Yes because undoubtedly the majority of them will have a better understanding of it than your average 18-30 year old.
Original post by TheIndecent
I think that they should. Many of them fought for this country and yes I know that many voting will not see the full impact of their vote. Maybe if more young people voted we would have a government that truly reflected how our population want our future to be. Just saying.

We need a better voting system for that to happen. Can't wait for the Tories to change the boundaries as well so it's even less likely they'll be overthrown..

Original post by blackened_sky
Yes because undoubtedly the majority of them will have a better understanding of it than your average 18-30 year old.

This
Should people in their 70+ be allowed to vote. They are voting for our future which they will not live to see. They have a vote on things that impact us but will not impact them.
We have a minimum requirement age, should we have an upper limit too?
Keep it civil in the comments.

Of course their vote will impact them. Are you crazy? The government dictates every part of everyones lives. Old people have to worry about when they are going to retire- their pension fund, their healthcare, where they will live, their families etc. The government, decided by their vote, will affect all of these things. They've also paid more tax than young people have in their lifetime so that means they've put more into the system than you- if you ran a market stall and one of your best friends supplied the food which was eaten by the entire town, would you ban them from buying anything at the rest of the market at anyone else shops?

Forget an upper age limit, the minimum age requirement needs to be increased. Not all young people are informed as they ought to be about politics and the way in which the country is ran. That is what needs to be reformed in our educational system. I've tried to remain as "civil" as possible but I'm shocked that you'd be so cruel to generations of people as if they didn't matter and so unaware as to the fact that the government affects their lives just as much as mine and yours.

but they wont live to see the mid-term/ long-term effects of their decision. Surely it is up to us to decide for ourselves. Also the idea that somehow older people are better educated on a topic such as leaving the eu is baseless.
Reply 34
but they wont live to see the mid-term/ long-term effects of their decision. Surely it is up to us to decide for ourselves. Also the idea that somehow older people are better educated on a topic such as leaving the eu is baseless.

The short term effects has a bigger impact which would cause the most change.
Original post by Snazzyzebra
Of course their vote will impact them. Are you crazy? The government dictates every part of everyones lives. Old people have to worry about when they are going to retire- their pension fund, their healthcare, where they will live, their families etc. The government, decided by their vote, will affect all of these things. They've also paid more tax than young people have in their lifetime so that means they've put more into the system than you- if you ran a market stall and one of your best friends supplied the food which was eaten by the entire town, would you ban them from buying anything at the rest of the market at anyone else shops?

Forget an upper age limit, the minimum age requirement needs to be increased. Not all young people are informed as they ought to be about politics and the way in which the country is ran. That is what needs to be reformed in our educational system. I've tried to remain as "civil" as possible but I'm shocked that you'd be so cruel to generations of people as if they didn't matter and so unaware as to the fact that the government affects their lives just as much as mine and yours.

Turns out, i am now a cruel person for starting a debate, on which i have yet to formulate a real opinion on. Democracy is really thriving!

So? People die all the time regardless of age? Should we stop people with terminal illnesses from voting as well because they won't live that long?

It isn't baseless at all. They have much more real world experience, politics and the like isn't taught in schools so how do you expect young voters to be better educated on the topic than people who have lived through decades of different governments?
Keep it civil? You're a cheeky runt.
We need a better voting system for that to happen. Can't wait for the Tories to change the boundaries as well so it's even less likely they'll be overthrown..

True but those who offer that (lib dems) join coalitions with parties who are perfectly content. I honesty do not think that a better voting system will be introduced in our lifetime and I also think that just because we don't have a system we dont believe in means that we shouldn't cast a ballot. If you don't agree with the system at least spoil you ballot. So kinda off topic but yeah:smile:
Original post by User1214833
Keep it civil? You're a cheeky runt.

oi oi!

Latest

Trending

Trending