The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Interview for PhD at Oxford

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
nikk
Absolutely! I never turn down an offer for people to do math for me! haha :biggrin: As i'm sure you know, many biologists are famed for having mathophobia! :p:

Cool :cool: BTW you're not by any chance going to be in Tim Humpreys or Ruth Muschel's groups are you?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
shiny
Tell me about it :rolleyes: No-one understands what I do for them. Not that they care, as long as the right results come out :rolleyes:

Sounds like they treat you like a glorified calculator. I'm postdocing in a Physics department now so I have the opposite problem - everyone understands what I'm doing better than me!
Reply 62
ChemistBoy
Sounds like they treat you like a glorified calculator. I'm postdocing in a Physics department now so I have the opposite problem - everyone understands what I'm doing better than me!

yeah thats pretty much it :rolleyes: although i dont envy your position either :eek:
shiny
yeah thats pretty much it :rolleyes: although i dont envy your position either :eek:

Although when some chemistry comes along I kick their asses.
Reply 64
shiny
Cool :cool: BTW you're not by any chance going to be in Tim Humpreys or Ruth Muschel's groups are you?

Tim Humphreys was one of the people on the interview panel :smile: I had the option of joining his group, but I joined Prof Helleday's group instead.

Are you doing a PhD or postdoc?
Reply 65
ChemistBoy
Although when some chemistry comes along I kick their asses.

Hehe yeah. There are lots of better pure maths people around here than me, but i can hold my own when it comes to applied stuff :smile:
Reply 66
nikk
Tim Humphreys was one of the people on the interview panel :smile: I had the option of joining his group, but I ended up joining another (Prof Helleday).

Are you doing a PhD or postdoc?

Helleday is meant to be this new young hotshot isnt he? I'm PhD or DPhil (better start getting used to the local lingo now).
Reply 67
shiny
Helleday is meant to be this new young hotshot isnt he? I'm PhD or DPhil (better start getting used to the local lingo now).

I know he is relatively new to the university, and from what I hear he is pretty damned good.

Oh yeah, force of habbit :p:

This is all very exciting - I wish I didn't have to complete my undergrad degree before I started! lol.
Hi, I am preparing a DPhil interview at Oxford at teh moment, they told me I will have a "written challenge"- approximate 30 minutes before my interview I will be given a written challenge which will subsequently be discussed. Have you heard of it? If you have, any ideas or tips? Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending