The Student Room Group

Boyfriend doesn't know it's my Birthday next week...awkward!

Anon in case people I know read the forum.

I've been with my boyfriend about five months - we only agreed it was official around Easter time, but we've been exclusive since we met. Problem is it's my Birthday next week and I don't think my boyfriend has a clue! I mentioned that my Birthday was in June a few months ago because it came up in conversation...we've barely seen each other lately because I'm in the middle of exams... so it hasn't come up again. I feel if I bring it up a few days before it'll seem like I'm hinting.

He's pretty skint at the moment, so it's not like I expect him to do anything spectacular and to be honest, there's nothing in particular I want, but since we're hoping up to the six-month mark it'd be weird for him to not acknowledge it in any way. He'll see it on facebook on the day anyway.

What should I do? Can I mention it casually in a way that doesn't seem like hinting? Or should I just leave it? I didn't acknowledge his Birthday (beyond saying "Happy Birthday!") but that was because we'd only been seeing each other for about a week and so it'd have seemed a bit intense to buy a card or get a present when we barely knew each other. I won't be able to see him on my actual Birthday anyway because I've got an exam two days later. I don't want to make a big deal of it at all - and I don't him to have to panic-buy something, especially with him being skint, but equally it'll feel weird for him not to know until it pops up as a facebook notification.
Reply 1
just mention you're looking forward to your birthday in a general conversation
Original post by Anonymous

I've been with my boyfriend about five months - we only agreed it was official around Easter time, but we've been exclusive since we met. Problem is it's my Birthday next week and I don't think my boyfriend has a clue! I mentioned that my Birthday was in June a few months ago because it came up in conversation...we've barely seen each other lately because I'm in the middle of exams... so it hasn't come up again. I feel if I bring it up a few days before it'll seem like I'm hinting.

He's pretty skint at the moment, so it's not like I expect him to do anything spectacular and to be honest, there's nothing in particular I want, but since we're hoping up to the six-month mark it'd be weird for him to not acknowledge it in any way. He'll see it on facebook on the day anyway.

What should I do? Can I mention it casually in a way that doesn't seem like hinting? Or should I just leave it? I didn't acknowledge his Birthday (beyond saying "Happy Birthday!":wink: but that was because we'd only been seeing each other for about a week and so it'd have seemed a bit intense to buy a card or get a present when we barely knew each other. I won't be able to see him on my actual Birthday anyway because I've got an exam two days later. I don't want to make a big deal of it at all - and I don't him to have to panic-buy something, especially with him being skint, but equally it'll feel weird for him not to know until it pops up as a facebook notification.

I'm 90% sure I know you. I will message some of my friends to check it is you.
Original post by Anonymous

What should I do? Can I mention it casually in a way that doesn't seem like hinting? Or should I just leave it? I didn't acknowledge his Birthday (beyond saying "Happy Birthday!":wink: but that was because we'd only been seeing each other for about a week and so it'd have seemed a bit intense to buy a card or get a present when we barely knew each other. I won't be able to see him on my actual Birthday anyway because I've got an exam two days later. I don't want to make a big deal of it at all - and I don't him to have to panic-buy something, especially with him being skint, but equally it'll feel weird for him not to know until it pops up as a facebook notification.

I don't see why your six months coming up is revelant to your birthday.

As others have said, just find a way to bring it up. A good old "Can't believe I'm going to be [age] next week!" or "It sucks that revision is/exams are my birthday present this year!" when he asks how revision's going/how you're feeling about your exams should do the trick.
Reply 4
Are you not asking him to do something for your birthday? I know you said you won't be able to see him on the actual day but surely you can say "Hey, seeing as it's my birthday on the 6th but I've got an exam that day, do you want to go get dinner/go for a picnic/have a movie night at the weekend instead?" etc?
Reply 5
Original post by abc101
Are you not asking him to do something for your birthday? I know you said you won't be able to see him on the actual day but surely you can say "Hey, seeing as it's my birthday on the 6th but I've got an exam that day, do you want to go get dinner/go for a picnic/have a movie night at the weekend instead?" etc?

Well, see, usually I do celebrate the weekend before or after, but this year my first free weekend I'm at a good friend's wedding and he's working (he's a sportsperson.) Other than that, we always spend weekends together. It's just a bummer that the next few weekends involve him working and me being busy, as it's not usually that way!
You could be like '' i still don't know what I'm doing for my birthday '' or " I can't believe I'm turning __next week". I realised I've spoken about my birthday so much recently, not because I expect to get anything from him its just something that comes up in conversation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending