The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

MA History, 2015-16

Heyya, I'm due to start an MA in history this September. I was wondering if anyone else who had accepted an offer for the course was out there?
Reply 1
...Anyone?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Hi, I also have accepted an offer for the MA in History.
Reply 3
Original post by ejenkins14
Hi, I also have accepted an offer for the MA in History.

Hey! Nice to meet you. I'd stopped checking this thread but it's good to meet people who are also planning on taking up their offer.

Whereabouts do you come from and what modules are you considering doing?
Nice to meet you too! I am from the US and I am interested in empire and imperial legacies so I really want to take Imagined Communities: Regionalism & Minority Nationalism in modern Europe and British Politics in the Era of Decolonization. Also Globalization and Indians and Indigenous Peoples in Latin America since Independence could be good too. What modules are you thinking of doing?
Reply 5
Well I'm very interest in British politics in the era of decolonisation, and the module on Vichy France also appeals too- they both align with my undergrad interests. Then the US Civil War unit seems really interesting- since leaving university I've developed a real interest in American history and I think the unit provides a really great opportunity to nurture that. Other than that Trade, Money and Institutions in the Ottoman Empire seems really interesting.

Rather shamefully, I haven't had any time to mull dissertation subjects as I've been working full time this year (and that does water down the amount of time I have). Maybe you've found some inspiration?

Can I ask why you're doing an MA? Perhaps you want to pursue a career in academia or the heritage sector or are you looking to harness the research training that we're given to enter a career in policy/research/think tank-y stuff?
I am thinking about pursuing a career in academia, but I am not totally sure because I have interests in musem studies and library science as well. Part of the reason I am doing the MA is that it's flexible and it allows me to keep my options open. Can I ask what inspired you to do the MA program?

As for dissertation topics, I have never been to UK and I want take advantage of the fact that we will be living London and use resources not readily available in the US. I think I want to explore how the London city space changed with post-colonial migration. I am broadly interested in the rise of British social history and the devloment of cultural studies and I want to think about how physical history and methodology intertwine. I feel like post-colonial migration will provide a framework that will allow me to grapple with the intense intellectual and phyical change that occurred durring the post-coloinal period. Right now the topic is still way too broad, but I am excited to see how being at UCL will allow me to devlope my ideas.
Reply 7
Original post by ejenkins14
I am thinking about pursuing a career in academia, but I am not totally sure because I have interests in musem studies and library science as well. Part of the reason I am doing the MA is that it's flexible and it allows me to keep my options open. Can I ask what inspired you to do the MA program?

As for dissertation topics, I have never been to UK and I want take advantage of the fact that we will be living London and use resources not readily available in the US. I think I want to explore how the London city space changed with post-colonial migration. I am broadly interested in the rise of British social history and the devloment of cultural studies and I want to think about how physical history and methodology intertwine. I feel like post-colonial migration will provide a framework that will allow me to grapple with the intense intellectual and phyical change that occurred durring the post-coloinal period. Right now the topic is still way too broad, but I am excited to see how being at UCL will allow me to devlope my ideas.

Career-wise I'm at a bit of a crossroads. I graduated from KCL last year with a BA in history. At that time I was adamant that I wanted to become a teacher. I am passionate about history and wanted to share that with others. A year on, I have to admit that I have become a little bit disorientated with the British education system. It very much relies on spoon feeding students “soundbites” of information which they then reproduce in exams, so as to massage results. I suppose I prefer teaching in a more organic way which seeks to build upon students personal interests and experiences (I believe an interest in history is endemic to the human condition). This dissatisfaction forced me to reconsider everything. If I continue on my present course, then I could see myself washing up in twenty years time disaffected and embittered. I want to avoid that!

I always wanted to do an MA but initially i didn’t have the funds. A lot of saving and scrimping, as well as generous support from my parents has put me in a position where I can (just about) afford the year. I enjoy learning and studying, so in the short term it will be a great privilege to pursue my interests further. Beyond that, I don’t have a clear idea of what I want to do. As you say, MA’s are flexible and they allow you to keep your options open. Particularly in a market flooded with BA’s, they give you a tiny bit of an edge. I do have a dream of pursuing a career in academia as it combines my love of teaching and studying (next year will determine whether that materialises), however I have also had a look at lots of research and think tank roles which an MA would complement nicely. If none of this works out, then I’ll return to the “normal” jobs market somewhat wiser and apply for graduate schemes or maybe look at a return to teaching.

Do you have an email or Facebook profile that you are willing to share, per chance. It would be good to start making some contacts before the commencement of our course in September. Feel free to message it to my inbox!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending