The Student Room Group

Drinking water in exams.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Uberphuq
My source of water? Oh I have no idea, it just comes out of the tap at home.

Lool, that was funny. :awesome:
Drinking allows you to temporarily disconnect from what you're answering.

This allows your brain to think from a different angle than the one you're forcing it to think down when answering a question therefore allows for AH HA! moments.
Original post by QueenAryela
Drinking allows you to temporarily disconnect from what you're answering.

This allows your brain to think from a different angle than the one you're forcing it to think down when answering a question therefore allows for AH HA! moments.

I've had "AH HA!" moments without drinking water and managed to get the answer right.

How do you know that particular individual was not going to have an "AH HA!" moment without drinking water?

Unless you are able to predict the future, please can you elaborate.
Original post by Uberphuq
My source of water? Oh I have no idea, it just comes out of the tap at home.

I did not mean the faucet. :biggrin: I asked whether there were some studies which prove that '100% of people who got A*s in their a levels drink water'. Studies which were published in newspapers. A source, do you know?
Original post by Kallisto
I did not mean the faucet. :biggrin: I asked whether there were some studies which prove that '100% of people who got A*s in their a levels drink water'. Studies which were published in newspapers. A source, do you know?

I was just messin' with you bro
It freshens my brain...
Original post by SceneKid17
It freshens my brain...

That doesn't answer my question, but hey, at least you tried.
Drinking water won't make you any more intelligent, and in theory if you're already properly hydrated going in, won't affect your performance. In a lot of cases it will help but that's only because many people aren't hydrated. Especially with students who tend to consume lots of coffee, rely on junk food and stay up long hours revising immediately before exam season. Water will help offset some of the impairment of concentration, delayed reactions etc caused by excessive sodium/caffeine dehydration.
Reply 28
I think water helps you keep hydrated and maybe focus better, but it doesn't really affect your grades that much.
I don't drink water in exams - only because I'm scared that I'll spill it all over my exam paper :colondollar:
The only study I know about is about dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO) which has shown to have benefits on bodily functions and particularly keeping your fluid levels in check.
Reply 30
Original post by LibraPower
Does drinking water in exams really enhance exam performance? Is it scientifically proven or just a general study without proof?

Apparently drinking water in an exam increases the student's grade by 10%.

To mean that seems like bull because how could they actually prove that statement? Because the grade the student achieved would be determined by their knowledge and how much they have revised.

The whole topic is arguable. What's your view?

I think it helps a lot. It keeps you hydrated and for me allows me to think and concentrate properly. Also, I think it may also work as a "placebo" for some people,

But I do disagree about the fact that it increases a student's grade by 10%
I like to have a bottle of water with me especially for long exams. If I'm stuck and can't think of anything I drink some water and try and clear my mind, it's a little break I guess from writing.
everytime i bring water in the exam, i mean a real exam that actually counts, i never actually drink it. I just forget about it, i'm so in the zone i can block out anything.

People who drink water do so for nerves, rethinking stuff etc but it certainly doesn't statistically improve your grades haha. Also i don't want to ever go to the toilet **** that, time is ticking.
Reply 33
Water is definitely good for your nerves, but it depends on the type of person you are. Don't procrastinate by drinking water in exams hahs

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel like I do better when I'm drinking water - for one thing, I'm not constantly distracted by feeling thirsty.

Quick Reply

Latest