The Student Room Group

Can you repeat A2 exams in 2017

If I take a gap year, could I sit A2 exams during that time with A2s from the old specification?

Scroll to see replies

Unless you are currently in year 13 then taking a gap year and resitting A2s from the old pacification is possible, other than that then I doubt it.
Original post by Cherry82
If I take a gap year, could I sit A2 exams during that time with A2s from the old specification?

As far as I am aware, it has not yet been confirmed that A2 retake exams will be available for old specifications in the summer 2017 series. It would be unusual if 2016 A level candidates were denied a resit opportunity but there's no confirmation on the ofqual site or on examiner web sites that I have looked at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by gdunne42
As far as I am aware, it has not yet been confirmed that A2 retake exams will be available for old specifications in the summer 2017 series. It would be unusual if 2016 A level candidates were denied a resit opportunity but there's no confirmation on the ofqual site or on examiner web sites that I have looked at.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, I'm not sure if you would know but do you have an idea for when I should look for announcements, when they could confirm it? Yea, I was thinking that also but it being the last year I don't know. Apparently they allowed resits for the other candidates previously when reforms happened. Also I contacted AQA and they said yes but OCR didn't say anything...
Ok, I'm not sure if you would know but do you have an idea for when I should look for announcements, when they could confirm it? Yea, I was thinking that also but it being the last year I don't know. Apparently they allowed resits for the other candidates previously when reforms happened. Also I contacted AQA and they said yes but OCR didn't say anything...

If you've just done yr 13 this year, you can 100% resit next year (I.e. In your gap year (2016))

For 2017 I'm nit entirely sure but remember that the yr 12s who are currently going into yr 13 May need to resit during their gap years (2017) and I doubt exam boards will not let them resit as it would be very unfair to them

They have just announced what it means for current year 11 and younger.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/timeline-of-changes-to-gcses-as-and-a-levels/changes-to-gcses-as-and-a-levels-that-will-affect-each-current-school-year-group

I would hope they will clarify resits for subjects that are being withdrawn soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Brownclown
If you've just done yr 13 this year, you can 100% resit next year (I.e. In your gap year (2016))

For 2017 I'm nit entirely sure but remember that the yr 12s who are currently going into yr 13 May need to resit during their gap years (2017) and I doubt exam boards will not let them resit as it would be very unfair to them

Yea, thank you.
Hi I was wondering if I could still do A2's in 2017 (1st attempt) from old spec as I will be going into yr13 this year and will be resitting some As modules

Hi, I thought you were resitting Year 12 with the new specification anyway? :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Hi, I thought you were resitting Year 12 with the new specification anyway? :smile:

Hey, oh yea this post was for before because I was thinking about doing this months ago, during July :h:.
Reply 10
any updates here?
Original post by FatehL
any updates here?

Ofqal have proposed that resits of all units of outgoing specifications should be available from all examiners in the year following the withdrawal of a specification
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/resits-for-legacy-gcse-as-and-a-levels
Agreement should be reached by April.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by gdunne42
Ofqal have proposed that resits of all units of outgoing specifications should be available from all examiners in the year following the withdrawal of a specification
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/resits-for-legacy-gcse-as-and-a-levels
Agreement should be reached by April.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So it looks like they will be available right?
Reply 13
Original post by FatehL

Yea, most likely
Original post by FatehL

Yes, I think everyone believes that they will.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Looks like good news for current Year 13

Resits in AS and A level qualifications
For AS and A levels we proposed that:
Students taking AS and A levels in the last scheduled sitting should have the
opportunity to resit these qualifications after the final scheduled award,
regardless of the subject and exam board.
Resit opportunities in AS and A level subjects where new qualifications were
introduced in September 2015
, will be available in the legacy qualifications in
May/June 2017. AS and A2 units for these qualifications will be available to all
students in the normal way in May/June 2016.
Resits will take place in May or June.
Students will be able to resit any AS or A2 units (including controlled
assessment units).
Only those students who have taken the qualification previously, or who had
good reason not to have taken it when planned (such as illness) can take a resit.
Similar arrangements should be put in place for the later phases of AS and A
level reform.3
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by razoba
Looks like good news for current Year 13

Resits in AS and A level qualifications
For AS and A levels we proposed that:
Students taking AS and A levels in the last scheduled sitting should have the
opportunity to resit these qualifications after the final scheduled award,
regardless of the subject and exam board.
Resit opportunities in AS and A level subjects where new qualifications were
introduced in September 2015
, will be available in the legacy qualifications in
May/June 2017. AS and A2 units for these qualifications will be available to all
students in the normal way in May/June 2016.
Resits will take place in May or June.
Students will be able to resit any AS or A2 units (including controlled
assessment units).
Only those students who have taken the qualification previously, or who had
good reason not to have taken it when planned (such as illness) can take a resit.
Similar arrangements should be put in place for the later phases of AS and A
level reform.3

This is good news :smile: But a quick question, how would they know if you are a resit student or not? Say if decided to do the old Economics a level in one year meaning I would sit it in 2017 as a private candidate would it matter?
This is good news :smile: But a quick question, how would they know if you are a resit student or not? Say if decided to do the old Economics a level in one year meaning I would sit it in 2017 as a private candidate would it matter?

The examiners would know because there would be no candidate entry for you for 2016.
You would not be allowed to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, i'm currently sitting A2 exams and i'm confused about all the reform stuff and how it effects resits in 2017. I'm unsure whether I will be able to resit Chemistry OCR and Maths Edexcel next year? Surely it would be unfair to deny A2 students their equal right to resits just because of a reform??
Original post by StudentGoo
Hey guys, i'm currently sitting A2 exams and i'm confused about all the reform stuff and how it effects resits in 2017. I'm unsure whether I will be able to resit Chemistry OCR and Maths Edexcel next year? Surely it would be unfair to deny A2 students their equal right to resits just because of a reform??

You can resit as and a2 exam in OCR chemistry if you need to (and can find a centre that chooses to offer it). Maths is currently not affected by the reforms so can resit as usual.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest