The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Computer Science and lecturers at kings

Hi,

I have applied to study computer science next year and just wanted to know more about the course and want i will learn in each year.

is there particular skills i need which will make me better at computer science? what do lecturers like to see in their students? what make the ideal computer science student from a lecturers point of view and how do i really impress my lecturers? what are the challenges of doing computer science?

I have applied for Kings College and Queen Mary
Hi there,

Pleased you are thinking about King's, good luck with your exams results!

I have a couple of resources that may be useful for you - first of all take a look at our page all about study skills - there is a link to 'The Transition to Undergraduate Study' this is a quick presentation about what lecturers will expect of you and the difference between studying at university and studying at A-levels: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/offerholders/undergraduate/preparing-to-study-at-uni.aspx. There is also a video with some tips from one of our students.

In terms of what you will learn on the course each year and the modules available, follow this link to see a breakdown: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/structure/name/physics/alpha/P/header_search/.

I hope that helps and all the best making your decisions!

Best wishes,

Kerri
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by M199728
I have applied to study computer science next year and just wanted to know more about the course and want i will learn in each year.

First, I made some summary notes outline the structure of the course here:

http://www.inf.kcl.ac.uk/staff/andrew/admissions.html

is there particular skills i need which will make me better at computer science?

Practice thinking methodically. As an example, for something like programming, working out how to write code to accomplish a given task: what are you going to write, what order, how to structure it. If you haven't done any programming before, head over to codecademy and learn some python.

what do lecturers like to see in their students?

Enthusiasm. We're lecturers because we're enthusiastic about our subject, and in breaking new ground with our research; and we want to share our knowledge with students who want to learn.

what make the ideal computer science student from a lecturers point of view and how do i really impress my lecturers?

If you want a glowing reference - work hard, and make the most of what is going on outside the classroom too. e.g. KCL Tech Society organise technical talks, hackathons, office visits, etc.

what are the challenges of doing computer science?

I don't think there's one particular challenge that everyone faces - there'll be things you find easier or harder than any other subject. The thing to do is to make the most of the support available if you find a topic hard: go see the lecturer in their office hours; visit modules' helpdesk sessions; etc.

I have applied for Kings College and Queen Mary

...great! If you haven't come to an open day yet, I'd encourage you to do so.
Reply 3
hi i was wondering if anyone could help me, i have just finished my exams and i am going into my third year of a levels. i have finished maths a level (within 2 years) snd hopefully at an A grade and i will be taking a2 eco and chem next year. most likely i will be predicated AA in these and i might retake c3 c4 to try and get the A* so overall i will be applying to computer science with A*AA (maths eco and chem) predicated and the course is aab. unfortunately my gcse grades arent quite good maths at c and english at c, as i im doing a levels for 3 years and bad gcses do you think i will have a chance at getting into kings computer science course. i am also considering doing further math AS next year to try and make my application as strong as possible.
Good morning,

Thanks for getting in touch, exciting that you are thinking about Computer Science at King's! These questions would be best directed to our admissions team who you can contact via email [email protected] or by phone 020 7848 7517.

Good luck with your third year :smile:

Kerri

Quick Reply

Latest