The Student Room Group

University applicants 2016 thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
No. Your firm uni should honour it's promise either way. They don't care if you have an insurance or not. It makes no difference. And once your firm goes unconditional your insurance will disappear.

BTW, only firm your uni if it's the one you want to go to, not because they are promising an unconditional offer. That promise is designed to benefit them, not you...

thanks for your help, greatly appreciated!
course : maths
Universities: oxford cambridge
GCSE grades: ten A*
As level grades 5 As
A2 grades: predicted 3 A*s
Original post by eddyymartin
course : maths
Universities: oxford cambridge
GCSE grades: ten A*
As level grades 5 As
A2 grades: predicted 3 A*s

Either/or not both

And presumably you meant to post in the 2017 thread?
Argh, I took a gap year to try and stall for time and decide on a uni - It's not got easier! I'm stuck between Warwick and LSE for Politics :frown: I know LSE would probably be more advantageous when job hunting but really don't fancy sticking in London. To complicate things more I have MH issues and, though I'm relatively stable atm, I am worried about what living away form my family would do to me.
Original post by Piledriver
Argh, I took a gap year to try and stall for time and decide on a uni - It's not got easier! I'm stuck between Warwick and LSE for Politics :frown: I know LSE would probably be more advantageous when job hunting but really don't fancy sticking in London. To complicate things more I have MH issues and, though I'm relatively stable atm, I am worried about what living away form my family would do to me.

Put your health before anything. If you're worried about employment prospects then work hard at uni and get plenty of experience. But with your uni choices, you don't have much need to worry anyway.
Falling more and more in love with my university course every day (BA Journalism, Media & Sociology) but every day becoming a little less confident that I'll actually get ABB...
Original post by Piledriver

People from both get very similar jobs, anyone saying otherwise is being facetious

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ashleymacleod
I'm extremely stuck on what to do for university now.

I've applied for psychology and put my firm choice as Queen Margaret University. I only need a C to meet my conditional offer as this is from two sittings of Scottish highers in which I got BBBC last year. I got rejected from my top two choices which were Stirling and Dundee and I didn't want to go to my other conditional offers which were Abertay and Heriot-Watt.

I'm predicted AAAB this year, I think I could definitely turn that B into an A. This means that my results from this year aren't getting me into a good university and I just feel like that's a waste when I've put so much work into school this year. Plus I think that going to a good university is essential considering the degree I want to do and how competitive it is.

I've looked into adjustment, however I think that's highly unlikely considering that I'm a Scottish student and psychology is extremely competitive.

I'm looking into a gap year, however my family are moving down to England once I'm going to uni which means that I then have to pay a lot more (which isn't a problem it's just a little annoying) and then I'm concerned that I might just not get an offer at all if I reapply.

I'm not sure if I should just go to my firm choice no matter what my results are as they seem to be improving and have been going in the league tables every year. However, I really don't want to stay in Edinburgh and I didn't like my other choices. Basically, I should have thought more carefully about my university choices lol.

I'd suggest you seriously consider using clearing or adjustment as you don't seem that enthusiastic about the course at QMU. It's important to remember you're not just studying at University, you have to live in the city too and if you don't think you'll be happy you should consider taking a gap or some other alternative. That said, don't throw away your offer just because it's from QMU. I think a lot of people view it as a good and improving Uni, and apart from the Ancient universities I don't think anyone really notices/cares about ranking that much.

Hope this helps and you make/have made a decision you feel happy about :smile:
Original post by HopefulHuman
I'd suggest you seriously consider using clearing or adjustment as you don't seem that enthusiastic about the course at QMU. It's important to remember you're not just studying at University, you have to live in the city too and if you don't think you'll be happy you should consider taking a gap or some other alternative. That said, don't throw away your offer just because it's from QMU. I think a lot of people view it as a good and improving Uni, and apart from the Ancient universities I don't think anyone really notices/cares about ranking that much.

Hope this helps and you make/have made a decision you feel happy about :smile:

Yeah, I agree with a lot of the stuff you said thanks :smile:

I'm just going to wait until results day and then try adjustment. I went to the applicant day and I quite liked how small and supportive it seemed compared to large universities. The psychology department has improved a lot during the past few years and I can see it definitely improving despite the fact that's fairly new.
Sounds good! Glad you have come up with a plan of action :biggrin:
Original post by Edminzodo
Post your course, university choices and academic information here!

Course:
Universities:
GCSE grades:
AS grades (predicted/achieved):
A2 grades (predicted/achieved):
Extra curricular:
Other:

Edminzodo
Course: Egyptology
Universities: Liverpool, Oxford, UCL (twice), Birmingham
GCSE grades: -
AS grades (predicted/achieved): -
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): -
Extra curricular: Marched at the Cenotaph (November 2014), UCL lecture day, Museum of London lecture, Cambridge essay competition, language course, archive work experience, library/archive volunteering, scholars programme, EPQ
Other: Silver DofE, volunteering with kids, Grade 4 Singing, reading

Hello,I feel I will achieve a C in Economics, D in Maths, E in Business A level this results day August 2016.

A little brief background:After year 11, I took a gap year as I was unsure if I still wanted to pursue education. Then after my gap year, I attended college studying Maths, Computing & Accounting however left college in December as teaching was rubbish and decided to self teach Mathematics and Economics AS and I achieved UU at the end of the year. I then decided to do BTEC so I went College studying BUSINESS BTEC Diploma with the aim to complete it in one year. Handing in assignments was fine although I did feel like I preferred A levels however it was going fine but I had little concentration in class and would always talk with my peers and tell my teacher Ile make sure to complete the work at home which I did. This led to me being excluded because I distracted other students. However what's important here is I have a left ear hearing loss and I therefore suffer from 'Visual Distraction' where I lose concentration and find it difficult to keep concentration however both I and the college was unaware of this during my appeal for me to be reinstated at the college.

(I was unaware as I didn't understand the effects of my hearing loss at the time)No other colleges would allow to carry on my BTEC so now I am self teaching Mathematics, Business, Economics AS & A2 and taking both AS/A2 exams May/June2016. I have some help from a tutor but I only get an hour a day a week with him. I feel I'm on track to achieve C in Economics, D in Mathematics, E in Business.

1) Would my situation be classed as extenuating circumstances that unis would consider lowering their entry requirements when I go through clearing
2) What universities are likely to accept CDE on Accounting & Finance course through clearing and maybe taking into consideration extenuating circumstances?3) Is there anyone on here that could maybe help me with Maths for free (I can give money when I get a job in summer and therefore pay you back) - I live in South London and happy to travel.
Reply 2791
hi,
i need help as i do not know which university to choose for bio medical science
it is either Aston University or University of Birmingham
so please give me advice on which one is best suited of my course
Hello. I am an international student and I have received conditional offers from two universities out of three (Durham and Derby) and I am confused about the UCAS deadlines; on my Track it says I must reply by June 8th but Durham and Derby both emailed me, saying they need a reply by 4th of May. Which deadline should I be keeping my eyes on? Please somebody answer me ASAP.
Original post by Memo A.
Hello. I am an international student and I have received conditional offers from two universities out of three (Durham and Derby) and I am confused about the UCAS deadlines; on my Track it says I must reply by June 8th but Durham and Derby both emailed me, saying they need a reply by 4th of May. Which deadline should I be keeping my eyes on? Please somebody answer me ASAP.

Deadlines for various scenarios are here:
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/key-dates
Hey guys,

I've applied to lcf fashion buying and merchandising and still haven't heard back on any result has anyone else heard anything?
Thanks
Reply 2795
Hey does anyone know if allied health courses at jordanstown are ever in clearing? Or does the hpat mean this cant happen?
Course: BSc Business Administration with HRM.
University: Royal Holloway
currently study in Belfast with Queens...ACCESS DIPLOMA IN FOUNDATION STUDIES: BIOLOGICAL/BIOMEDICAL SCIENCE! I have applied to several Unis for Nursing and been made offers by all of them, asking for an average of 65% etc in my access course. However Iv been made an offer of Passing my course with 60 credits with 45 level 3 credits at merit grade or above! I dont understand this? Does anyone know what this would be in a percentage?
Dear Tsr community,
Can you apply for two slightly different university courses at the same time?
I am considering applying to Oxford for PPE, however I am also interested in Politics and International Relations at LSE. Could i apply to both of these degrees at the same time and with the same personal statement? Or is it only possible to apply to PPE in all your university choices.
Thank you.
Original post by leonardodv13
Dear Tsr community,
Can you apply for two slightly different university courses at the same time?
I am considering applying to Oxford for PPE, however I am also interested in Politics and International Relations at LSE. Could i apply to both of these degrees at the same time and with the same personal statement? Or is it only possible to apply to PPE in all your university choices.
Thank you.

They are close enough to be absolutely fine for a PS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending