The Student Room Group

University applicants 2016 thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Ah damn, that is true. My school does offer it but I couldn't pick it due to timetabling clashes and there was no spaces left to switch into it. If I get a teachers reference to explain this, would I be able to get a exception?

By the way, would they search up my school name to see if they offered it? :tongue:

To both questions, unfortunately I'm not entirely sure. The best thing to do, would just pick up the phone and ask them. The admissions department will be able to let you know...
Reply 21
Course: Chemical Physics, Natural Sciences, CMP
Universities: Cambridge, Edinburgh, Durham, Bristol, Imperial
GCSE grades: 6A*s 2As
AS grades: AAAA
A2 grades (predicted): A*A*A*A*
Extra curricular: Headstart, placements in research labs, running science club, tutoring, reading/lectures, EPQ
Other: talk to me if you are applying to similar places/course :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Course: Biomedical Sciences
Universities: Oxford, Sheffield, York, Durham, Edinburgh, or Exeter, not sure which combination yet
GCSE grades: 10 A*s and 3 As
AS grades (predicted/achieved): Predicted AAAABB or something
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): Not a clue hoping for some good ones though:crossedf:
Extra curricular: I'm about to do the EPQ, I play the drums (badly:giggle:), I volunteer at a charity shop, and I've done work experience at a hospital with some more planned watching criminal court.
Other: Might be planning on doing a life saving course and I'm working on getting a paying job.
Course: PPE, Politics & International Relations, Government & Economics
Universities: Oxford, LSE, _____, ______, _____ :colondollar:
GCSE grade: Swedish student
AS grades (predicted/achieved): Again, from Sweden
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): Sweden :groovy:
Extra curricular: A member and, next school year, the president of my school's charity committee. Also do horse riding and have a job (sell paint :tongue:).
Other: Love reading and everything horse related :biggrin: Also, if anyone's applying for similar courses, which universities are you considering?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Oakflame
Course: PPE, Politics & International Relations, Government & Economics
Universities: Oxford, LSE, _____, ______, _____ :colondollar:
GCSE grade: Swedish student
AS grades (predicted/achieved): Again, from Sweden
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): Sweden :groovy:
Extra curricular: A member and, next school year, the president of my school's charity committee. Also do horse riding and have a job (sell paint :tongue:).
Other: Love reading and everything horse related :biggrin: Also, if anyone's applying for similar courses, which universities are you considering?

I'm thinking of Politics and History - you should look at places like Warwick, UCL, Durham and York :smile: Essex has a great politics department if you're looking for a backup
Course: Economics and Politics/ Politics
Universities: Warwick, Nottingham
GCSE Grades - 8A*'s 2A's 1 B (drama lol)
AS Grade predicted - AAAB
A2 Grades - A*AA
Extra curricular - Oxford and Cambridge taster days, UCL economics taster day, credit suisse investment banking taster day, work experience with local MP at Westminster, Currently work in John Lewis, taster day at JP Morgan bank
Other - Participate in local debates on politics, enjoy keeping up with current affairs, music and dancing
Reply 26
Course : International Business and Chinese
Universities : SOAS, Leeds, Birmingham, Nottingham (idk where else)
GCSE Grades : 2A's 7B's
IB Grades Predicted : 37 Points with 6/6/6 in Higher Level
Extra Crurricular : SOAS taster days, UCL Economics taster day, CITI bank taster day, Learning Korean via self study, Model United Nations, Scuba Diving, Golf, Volenteering at Cat shelter, Volenteering at Orphanage in Cambodia and Thailand.
Reply 27
Course: Politics & International Relations
Universities: Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Strathclyde, I'd be so glad if someone would tell me are they good choices or not since I'm from Finland and I'm only considering Scottish universities because I don't have to pay tuition fees thenGCSE grades: no because of FinlandAS grades (predicted): (Finnish matriculation examination) I think I'll get something from LLEEM to LLLEE, an L is the best, an E is the second best and an M is the third best grade
A2 grades (predicted/achieved):
Extra curricula: can I write summer high school?
Other: volunteer work, reading
Original post by mazzu
Course: Politics & International Relations
Universities: Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Strathclyde, I'd be so glad if someone would tell me are they good choices or not since I'm from Finland and I'm only considering Scottish universities because I don't have to pay tuition fees thenGCSE grades: no because of FinlandAS grades (predicted): (Finnish matriculation examination) I think I'll get something from LLEEM to LLLEE, an L is the best, an E is the second best and an M is the third best grade
A2 grades (predicted/achieved):
Extra curricula: can I write summer high school?
Other: volunteer work, reading

I have applied for Strathclyde aswell!! Although I am from England so will still have to pay £9000 a year in tuition fees, said times. I have Sheffield as my insurance choice. Strathclyde is one of the best in Europe for business, which is what I am doing, so you can't go wrong in that area. I presume it is also pretty good for politics. It is ranked 41st in the UK, which isn't amazing but could be worse. I have heard Glasgow is a great city though
Which universities want UMS marks?
Original post by pranto96
Which universities want UMS marks?

Only Cambridge ask as far as I'm aware, you may want to mention them in your PS if you got especially good UMS.
Hey Everyone!

Since AS Levels have finished, I'm sure many of you have been looking at what you want to do at University!

Where do you want to go and what course do you want to take?
No idea man...i know i wanna do psychology but as for where i have 0 idea....

ive been looking at these:

Loughborough-AAB
Roehampton-BBB
Essex-ABB
Reading-AAB
Southampton-AAB
Are any of these unis diverse,dont wana be alooooneee

My target grades:ABB? Think ill be getting ABD/ABC/ABB/AAB....which are those unis realistic?
Original post by scrawlx101
No idea man...i know i wanna do psychology but as for where i have 0 idea....

ive been looking at these:

Loughborough-AAB
Roehampton-BBB
Essex-ABB
Reading-AAB
Southampton-AAB
Are any of these unis diverse,dont wana be alooooneee

My target grades:ABB? Think ill be getting ABD/ABC/ABB/AAB....which are those unis realistic?

I think they are very realistic!One of my friends want to go to Reading, from what they say it seems good, Loughborough is also seen as an extremely good university. I've also heard good things about Southampton.As for Essex and Roehampton, I'm not too sure, as i haven't really looked at them before... But from looking at the grades you gave, they must be pretty good also!
I want to study History, and at the moment my two favourites are Birmingham and Nottingham. I'm interested in Chester, and I might go for an open day at Oxford Brookes and Keele as well. I love the look of Swansea and Aberystwyth, but I don't want to have to travel too far. I'm going to wait till results though until I make any proper decisions.
Original post by oswalds
I want to study History, and at the moment my two favourites are Birmingham and Nottingham. I'm interested in Chester, and I might go for an open day at Oxford Brookes and Keele as well. I love the look of Swansea and Aberystwyth, but I don't want to have to travel too far. I'm going to wait till results though until I make any proper decisions.

That sounds great! I live in Wales and I can tell you both Swansea and Aberystwyth would be great places to go (probably best to go to Swansea though, Aber is a bit out the way).

I want to stay around where I live, so my options are the likes of Cardiff, USW, Swansea, Bristol etc.
Reply 36
I want to study Law & I'm thinking of applying to Birmingham, Leicester, Coventry...that's all I got so far 😊
Original post by CBftw
I want to study Law & I'm thinking of applying to Birmingham, Leicester, Coventry...that's all I got so far 😊

Sounds Good!

Currently I want to do Computer Security at either USW, Cardiff, UWE, Swansea and De Montfort.

I have looked at different Unis but they are the ones I can remember
Reply 38
Original post by Maffyman
Sounds Good!

Currently I want to do Computer Security at either USW, Cardiff, UWE, Swansea and De Montfort.

I have looked at different Unis but they are the ones I can remember

That's cool, haven't looked at any Welsh Universities - since I'm from London, don't wanna be too far away from my mum's cooking 👀
I've looked at DMU - seems quite good actually despite the things I've heard about it. 👌
Original post by Maffyman
That sounds great! I live in Wales and I can tell you both Swansea and Aberystwyth would be great places to go (probably best to go to Swansea though, Aber is a bit out the way).

I want to stay around where I live, so my options are the likes of Cardiff, USW, Swansea, Bristol etc.

I'm leaning more towards Swansea at the moment, and I've got a open day booked for the end of October so that should be good, it looks really brilliant from what I've seen.

I'm mainly thinking of the train prices. Birmingham would be a dream, I could catch the train 5 minutes for my house then 30 minutes would take me directly onto the campus. I've looked at a couple of those and they all sound great :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending