The Student Room Group

University applicants 2016 thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CBftw
That's cool, haven't looked at any Welsh Universities - since I'm from London, don't wanna be too far away from my mum's cooking 👀
I've looked at DMU - seems quite good actually despite the things I've heard about it. 👌

I agree, it does look good, despite a lot of the things I have read.

I can see where you are coming from about London, its a bit of a distance from Wales. Its a lot of countryside. Very different to London
Reply 41
Original post by oswalds
I'm leaning more towards Swansea at the moment, and I've got a open day booked for the end of October so that should be good, it looks really brilliant from what I've seen.

I'm mainly thinking of the train prices. Birmingham would be a dream, I could catch the train 5 minutes for my house then 30 minutes would take me directly onto the campus. I've looked at a couple of those and they all sound great :smile:

I really want to go to Birmingham too! It seems to so perfect - not so far away from London that I'll feel lonely, but not too close that I'll feel like I haven't left 😂. It Seems like such a nice university - I'm going to the open day on Friday so hopefully it lives up to my expectations 😊
Original post by oswalds
I'm leaning more towards Swansea at the moment, and I've got a open day booked for the end of October so that should be good, it looks really brilliant from what I've seen.

I'm mainly thinking of the train prices. Birmingham would be a dream, I could catch the train 5 minutes for my house then 30 minutes would take me directly onto the campus. I've looked at a couple of those and they all sound great :smile:

Swansea is a really nice city. Would love to live there one day, I go there quite a lot. It is however a good trek to get to by train (high trains prices)

Birmingham look like they have a good few universities around it, so it would be a good choice!

I guess you don't want to go into student halls if you go to a Birmingham Uni?
Reply 43
Original post by Maffyman
I agree, it does look good, despite a lot of the things I have read.

I can see where you are coming from about London, its a bit of a distance from Wales. Its a lot of countryside. Very different to London

Yeah, me & the countryside isn't a good match 😂. So, what would you be studying with Computer Security? Never heard if that degree before?
Original post by CBftw
Yeah, me & the countryside isn't a good match 😂. So, what would you be studying with Computer Security? Never heard if that degree before?

Haha. I'm sure you would get used to the sheep :')

The course allows you to try and prevent cyber attacks such as hacking etc and also bringing the people who do that to justice by gathering evidence against them.
So stuff like trying to improve security on a network, if breached resolve the problem, and then bring the criminals to justice.

Its a good degree at the moment (not just because I want to do it :u:) because apparently there are a national shortage of people who work in this area, therefore being in demand... and also they get paid quite a bit, which increases my interest :wink:

I didn't make sound interesting at all, but I promise it is more interesting than I make it :')
ENGLISH LITERATURE!
Or history? Or psychology? Or criminology? Or creative writing?

As you can see, I'm undecided. But I think it will be english lit or history.

WHERE DO I WANT TO GO. Where do I want to go? Where do I want to go!!!!!

No clue. Zilch. Nada.

Sigh, I guess I will wait for results, but I'm not hoping for much. I was an A grade student but I think I somehow signed up for an a level in procrastination. I did my revision at most a few hours before the exam. So resits here I come! (:

🙏🙏Plz let me be a super crazy Einstein genius who by some miracle aces their exams in an impossible feat of amazingness.🙏🙏

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol I might have to retake year 13 So can I jump into this thread?
Original post by Skill Twix

Definitely!
Original post by CBftw
I really want to go to Birmingham too! It seems to so perfect - not so far away from London that I'll feel lonely, but not too close that I'll feel like I haven't left 😂. It Seems like such a nice university - I'm going to the open day on Friday so hopefully it lives up to my expectations 😊

Birmingham's lovely, and the commute from London isn't bad at all. I know what you mean about the distance, I was looking at a couple in London but I decided the accommodation prices would be too high. I went to a Philosophy talk to Birmingham Uni a couple of months ago, and the campus was amazing, I think I fell in love. I'm going on the Saturday open day, so I'm quite excited about that! Hope you enjoy it! :smile:
Original post by Skill Twix

😂 i may have to resit AS and do A2 at the same time. Why do you think you will have to resit/take?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Swansea is a really nice city. Would love to live there one day, I go there quite a lot. It is however a good trek to get to by train (high trains prices)

Birmingham look like they have a good few universities around it, so it would be a good choice!

I guess you don't want to go into student halls if you go to a Birmingham Uni?

I've heard it's nice, and I really like Wales in general. I've got family from there so we tend to go on a lot of holidays as a family to Wales. The train price is the only bit holding me back tbh, but I'm going to see what it's like on the open day so that'll probably influence me quite a bit.

There are quite a lot of unis around Birmingham, Coventry isn't far and I know a lot of people who are applying there and those who are already there love it.

I probably won't, it'd be a bit of a waste of money for me, but I'll have a look at the halls anyway if I get the chance. I sort of want to though, just for the independence.
Original post by oswalds
I've heard it's nice, and I really like Wales in general. I've got family from there so we tend to go on a lot of holidays as a family to Wales. The train price is the only bit holding me back tbh, but I'm going to see what it's like on the open day so that'll probably influence me quite a bit.

There are quite a lot of unis around Birmingham, Coventry isn't far and I know a lot of people who are applying there and those who are already there love it.

I probably won't, it'd be a bit of a waste of money for me, but I'll have a look at the halls anyway if I get the chance. I sort of want to though, just for the independence.

I do hear that Coventry is a good uni. That would be good!

I'm in the same boat as you for student halls, I'm not too sure
Reply 52
If anyone would like to study abroad in Istanbul or anywhere in the major cities of Turkey, please let me know. We offer many diversities of Universities study programs with affordable tuition fees and living cost. Since it is a tourism place, you could find work while studying to earn some money. Please contact me if you are interested in knowing the study programs of the Universities in Turkey or if you know anyone who is interested. Thanks.
Original post by Pollyanna1998
😂 i may have to resit AS and do A2 at the same time. Why do you think you will have to resit/take?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know.I have a feeling!
Original post by oswalds
Birmingham's lovely, and the commute from London isn't bad at all. I know what you mean about the distance, I was looking at a couple in London but I decided the accommodation prices would be too high. I went to a Philosophy talk to Birmingham Uni a couple of months ago, and the campus was amazing, I think I fell in love. I'm going on the Saturday open day, so I'm quite excited about that! Hope you enjoy it! :smile:

are the many black people?

How did you find the talk for philosophy trying to find one for psychology?
So is anyone on here applying for Economics?
Original post by scrawlx101
are the many black people?

How did you find the talk for philosophy trying to find one for psychology?

I believe it is quite a diverse uni, and the city itself has a lot of diversity within it. I saw students of all different races when I was there.

And my teacher told us about the talk and we went as a class, but I do believe there is a Psychology one at each open day with a workshop taking place as well. If you look online, they may be doing more talks like the Philosophy one, but that was lots of different 6th forms from the Birmingham area.
I do hear that Coventry is a good uni. That would be good!

I'm in the same boat as you for student halls, I'm not too sure

It's quite interesting to look into local unis, as I've found I don't really notice them. We were talking about Aston University at school today, and my teacher was saying that the only reason we weren't keen was because it was right on our doorstep.

I really want to go into halls just for the independence and the experience, but I don't want to waste money on it, but then would I really want to have to commute every morning? XD
Original post by oswalds
It's quite interesting to look into local unis, as I've found I don't really notice them. We were talking about Aston University at school today, and my teacher was saying that the only reason we weren't keen was because it was right on our doorstep.

I really want to go into halls just for the independence and the experience, but I don't want to waste money on it, but then would I really want to have to commute every morning? XD

Yeah, for instance one of the closest to me, USW is a good 30/35 mins away so I wouldn't be too sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, for instance one of the closest to me, USW is a good 30/35 mins away so I wouldn't be too sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see what you mean, it's a bit odd with some distances because it's close enough to live at home, but in the winter it wouldn't be that nice having to commute over a long-ish distance when it's getting dark in the mornings and evenings and you've been working all day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending