The Student Room Group

University applicants 2016 thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oswalds
I see what you mean, it's a bit odd with some distances because it's close enough to live at home, but in the winter it wouldn't be that nice having to commute over a long-ish distance when it's getting dark in the mornings and evenings and you've been working all day.

Exactly! Decisions decisions. I also have a job close by to my house, and if I stay local, I'll probably keep it... I don't mind commuting a few times a week to get there, so thats going to be a big factor

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to do either pharmacy or chemistry at uni
Strugling picking one as both degrees have alot of chemistry in it and a wide range of jobs options
Course: Arts and Humanities, Management & Computer Science, Management Science,

Universities: UCL, LSE, King's, Manchester, ??? I seriously hate settling for one
GCSE grade: international student :colondollar:
AS grades (predicted/achieved): ...
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): .... altroughy my predicted grades that will count in my admission would end up somewhere around A*AA

Extra curricular: MUNs, organization team for GROW (also acted as an ambassador), Career for a Day (took place in Brusseles for a whole week), junior summer university

Other: I have a feeling that my passion lies in music (although I lack artistic talent) so I really hope I will get to obtain the MBa in Media, Entertainment and Technology at NYU Stern.. that would be dream like. If not i'll just jump into the IT train and go on with that 4 years of Mathematics and Computer Science prepared me for.
Course: Japanese Studies
Universities: Sheffield, Leeds, SOAS
GCSE grades: 5/6 Bs ??, 3 As
AS grades (predicted/achieved): (doing BTEC) D*D*D*, and As for my A-level
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): --
Extra curricular: Engineering projects with Babcock and Smallpiece Trust, STEM club, (would a forensic science trip count? We were able to test with bullets and DNA) andddd badminton tournaments
(edited 8 years ago)
Course: Medicine or Chemical Engineering/Chemistry (If I don't get into medicine, I'll be studying the others)
Universities: Sheffield, Exeter, Manchester, Leicester and UCL (For Chemistry or Chemical Engineering)
GCSE Grades: 4A*s, 4A's, 3B's
AS Grade predicted - AAAB
A2 Grades predicted - A*AA
Other: UCL Summer Challenge, UCL Target Medicine Scheme, Guys and St Thomas Hospital and Newham General Hospital Work Experience, Volunteering at Charity Shop and Primary School, Drama Club, Charity Work outside of School, Might do the EPQ, UCL Be a Polymath taster day course,
Reply 65
Had to edit it a tad because I'm not doing A levels.

Course: BA in Korean or Korean StudiesUniversities: SOAS, Sheffield University
GCSE grades: C,D,G,E Level 2 BTEC's and a OCR National First Award
BTEC: Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business. DMM is the best grade I could currently come out with. I might do extra units at the end of next year if I finish ahead of time and get the chance.
Extra curricular: VRQ Level 2 in Woman's Hairdressing and ECDL Essentials in IT user skills.
Other: I like reading, drawing, other cultures and also have interests in astronomy, languages and psychology.
There is a whole bunch of things there, I've done a little bit of everything but I am dyslexic so I don't expect to get straight A's . I don't have the skills to do that but I have the knowledge which frustrates me more than anything. I'm not academic but I try.
Course: PPE (mainly)
Universities: King's, Oxford, Warwick, UCL (ESPS, HPE, PPE -Yeah, I do love UCL)
GCSE Grades: -- (international)
AS Grade predicted - 6.00/6.00 (around A*AA probably)
A2 Grades predicted - A*AA
Other: Math competitions, Painting classes, Essay contests awards, Debating, History and Philosophy Olympiads
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi, I'm an International student I was thinking of applying to either Cambridge or Oxford for computer science.
IGCSE grades - 1 A*, 5 A's and 1 B.
AS level- 4 a's
A level - 3 A*'s and 1 A
This are my actual grades not predicted ones.
Where do you think I should apply?
P.S ... I already did apply to Cambridge last year for Sept 2015 intake and got rejected but I think that was probably because I still was expecting my A levels result and looking at my AS level result no one would think I would score 3 A*'s and an A in A levels
AS level result------
Chem - 88(a)
Physics- 87(a)
Maths- 96(a)
AICT- 84(a)
So should I apply to Cambridge or Oxford this year or not?
Do i have any chances of getting in??
A level result----
Chem- 90(A*)
Maths- 97(A*)
Physics- 91(A*)
AICT- 81(A)
Hi!

Course: Music
Universities: Oxford
GCSE grades: 5A*, 4A, 4B
AS grades (predicted/achieved): Predicted aaac
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): TBC
Extra curricular: Piano playing, oboe playing, trail running, reading all about Bach, counterpoint and harmonising Bach's chorales.
Other:-
Original post by aryanrulezz
Hi, I'm an International student I was thinking of applying to either Cambridge or Oxford for computer science.
IGCSE grades - 1 A*, 5 A's and 1 B.
AS level- 4 a's
A level - 3 A*'s and 1 A
This are my actual grades not predicted ones.
Where do you think I should apply?
P.S ... I already did apply to Cambridge last year for Sept 2015 intake and got rejected but I think that was probably because I still was expecting my A levels result and looking at my AS level result no one would think I would score 3 A*'s and an A in A levels
AS level result------
Chem - 88(a)
Physics- 87(a)
Maths- 96(a)
AICT- 84(a)
So should I apply to Cambridge or Oxford this year or not?
Do i have any chances of getting in??
A level result----
Chem- 90(A*)
Maths- 97(A*)
Physics- 91(A*)
AICT- 81(A)

As far as I'm aware Cambridge only look at your UMS at AS Level in order to differentiate between applicants, and for your Computer Science, it would have been expected that you achieve roughly 95% across your three most relevant A Levels, but seeing as you didn't I would hazard a guess and suggest that was the reason why you were rejected.

Now, having looked at your A2s, you should have no problem being applying to either Oxford or Cambridge. However, you should know that for Cambridge your UMS at A2 is inconsequential once they have made you an offer... well more accurately... so long as you meet their offer then your UMS is inconsequential. I'm not quite sure about Mitigating circumstances.

Now, as for Oxford, in all honesty, had you applied to Oxford with those results I believe that you may have stood a better chance. Oxford have their own means of sifting out applicants which usually involve some form of aptitude test which an applicant must complete before they are even granted an interview.

These are worth thinking about, so good luck!!
Original post by Smithy-Smiths
As far as I'm aware Cambridge only look at your UMS at AS Level in order to differentiate between applicants, and for your Computer Science, it would have been expected that you achieve roughly 95% across your three most relevant A Levels, but seeing as you didn't I would hazard a guess and suggest that was the reason why you were rejected.

Now, having looked at your A2s, you should have no problem being applying to either Oxford or Cambridge. However, you should know that for Cambridge your UMS at A2 is inconsequential once they have made you an offer... well more accurately... so long as you meet their offer then your UMS is inconsequential. I'm not quite sure about Mitigating circumstances.

Now, as for Oxford, in all honesty, had you applied to Oxford with those results I believe that you may have stood a better chance. Oxford have their own means of sifting out applicants which usually involve some form of aptitude test which an applicant must complete before they are even granted an interview.

These are worth thinking about, so good luck!!

So where will I have more chances of getting in Cambridge or Oxford??
If I apply to Cambridge this year are my chances of getting in more compared to last year?
Original post by aryanrulezz
So where will I have more chances of getting in Cambridge or Oxford??
If I apply to Cambridge this year are my chances of getting in more compared to last year?

Honestly, I would argue that it's not that simple. Your GCSE profile is not befitting of a typical Oxbridge applicant, although it has been suggested that Oxford tend to place more emphasis on your GCSES hence why most applicants tend to apply to the latter University, despite it being notoriously more difficult to get into.

I would argue that you stand a realistic chance of getting into either University as long as you have spent this academic year doing some form of relevant work experience or wider reading around the subject.

And it terms of applying to either University it depends on how you look at it: Oxford require applicants to complete a separate aptitude test or submit some work before applicants are granted interviews. Once this is done you then must complete an additional test at interview and undergo two additional interviews. So it all depends on whether or not you feel yourself competent and able enough to not only prepare for the initial entrance exam but will be able to successfully complete a further assignment under timed conditions and will be strong willed enough to defend your stance on a subject matter even though your answers are being ruthlessly scrutinised by field experts.

Conversely, you could reapply to Cambridge, although I'd advise against reapplying to the same college unless you were specifically requested to in your feedback from the college... If you got this far? And if you do go onto an interview the formula is much the same to that of Oxford, so once again a resolve of steel is advised.

When you're weighing up both universities, I would look beyond "which one am I moat likely to get into" and research into both universities as their requirements may reflect whether or not the course is for you and as such whether or not an admissions tutor would seem you to be an applicant best suited to the course. Look at longevity of the degree, modules, lessons styles and the required independent study of a typical undergrad for your course. All of these will enable to tailor your personal statement and interview to your capabilities as a potential student. For example, if a course expects a student to spend most of their time in independent study, look at what subjects and skills you have which reflect your suitability to such a style of learning: have you undergone an EPQ? if so, what skills have you learnt which belie your suitability for studying such a course at their university?

To be honest, there are a plethora of factors you'll have to consider when applying to either University, only you can decide which of the universities you're best suited to.
Good luck!
Original post by Smithy-Smiths
Honestly, I would argue that it's not that simple. Your GCSE profile is not befitting of a typical Oxbridge applicant, although it has been suggested that Oxford tend to place more emphasis on your GCSES hence why most applicants tend to apply to the latter University, despite it being notoriously more difficult to get into.

I would argue that you stand a realistic chance of getting into either University as long as you have spent this academic year doing some form of relevant work experience or wider reading around the subject.

And it terms of applying to either University it depends on how you look at it: Oxford require applicants to complete a separate aptitude test or submit some work before applicants are granted interviews. Once this is done you then must complete an additional test at interview and undergo two additional interviews. So it all depends on whether or not you feel yourself competent and able enough to not only prepare for the initial entrance exam but will be able to successfully complete a further assignment under timed conditions and will be strong willed enough to defend your stance on a subject matter even though your answers are being ruthlessly scrutinised by field experts.

Conversely, you could reapply to Cambridge, although I'd advise against reapplying to the same college unless you were specifically requested to in your feedback from the college... If you got this far? And if you do go onto an interview the formula is much the same to that of Oxford, so once again a resolve of steel is advised.

When you're weighing up both universities, I would look beyond "which one am I moat likely to get into" and research into both universities as their requirements may reflect whether or not the course is for you and as such whether or not an admissions tutor would seem you to be an applicant best suited to the course. Look at longevity of the degree, modules, lessons styles and the required independent study of a typical undergrad for your course. All of these will enable to tailor your personal statement and interview to your capabilities as a potential student. For example, if a course expects a student to spend most of their time in independent study, look at what subjects and skills you have which reflect your suitability to such a style of learning: have you undergone an EPQ? if so, what skills have you learnt which belie your suitability for studying such a course at their university?

To be honest, there are a plethora of factors you'll have to consider when applying to either University, only you can decide which of the universities you're best suited to.
Good luck!

Frankly I'm not a good outdoor person so I lack extracurricular activities.
And I have done only two courses outside my schooling studies that are C language and C++. So what do you think, if I go for Cambridge are there any chances of me getting an invitation of an interview?
Original post by what's umentality
Course: Biomedical sciences, infectious diseases and virology
Universities: Oxford, Durham, Edinburgh, Bristol and Glasgow
GCSE grades: 4 A* 6 A
AS grades (predicted/achieved): AAAA
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): I'm hoping for A*A*A or A*AA at the very least
Extra curricular: Read heavily around my subjects (mainly about infectious diseases), biosciences summer schools in July, I won a free trip to Grenoble to see the ESRF, HE+ in biochemistry, week long research project coming up in July, going to CERN, attended a pathology lecture, genetics workshop, biology sessions at Lancaster Uni coming up this month, I run an online infectious diseases/biomedical blog (here if anyone's interested) and I follow a podcast called This Week in Virology
Other: I've been playing the violin for 8 years now and I'm doing NCS this August

Hello, what's yur career plan? What made u choose biomedical science?
Any facebook pages for accounting students?? LSE
Course: Biochemistry
Universities: Cambridge, Imperial, St Andrews, Manchester and UCL/Edinburgh/York
GCSE grades: 5A*s, 5As
AS grades: AAAB
A2 grades (predicted (hopefully)): A*A*A*
Extra curriculars: Nuffield Research Placement, reading books, Essay Competitions, Challenges and Olympiads, EPQ
Other: Volunteer at a local charity shop, an ambassador for college and a creative writer
:h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Course: Physics MSci/MPhys (depends on uni)
Universities: Nottingham, Warwick, UCL, ____, _____ (anyone know much about durham, exeter, st andrews phys departments ? any other suggestions of similar quality to the first 3 listed?) Plan is to apply to 5 good unis (no backups)
GCSE Grades: 8A*,2A (+1A iGCSE)
AS Grade predicted - aabb (expecting aaab)
A2 Grades predicted - N/A (hoping for A*AA+)
Other: outside reading, classical mechanics MOOC, UCL physics taster day, self studying FM AS, visiting CERN, volunteering, any suggestions?

Any other physics applicants? :smile:
Course: Computer Science
Universities: Bristol, Warwick, Nottingham, Imperial + one more maybe
GCSE grades: 1A*, 3As, 1B (yes my school only gave 5 :colonhash:)
AS grades (predicted/achieved): intensive so TBC (last year got BCD)
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): intensive so TBC
Extra curricular: Ambition Nottingham scheme, Cambridge FE Summer School, Nottingham Potential Summer School, student rep (if that still counts), won Warwick 2011 Mind Games in programming, played around/ learned a bit off C++ on the Youtube Channel thenewboston. Knowledge of Python on Codecademy
Other: 4 weeks work exp: 2 weeks in IT, 2 weeks as a mentor. Completed A-levels intensively + 2 extra modules in Further Maths.

sorry if its a bit wordy, needed to keep of log of it all myself :tongue:
Reply 78
Course: Electrical and Electronic engineering/ Electro Mechanical Engineering (maybe)
Universities: Southampton(for both courses), Machester, Bristol, UCL
IGCSE grades: 1A* 7As 1B
AS grades (achieved): AAAB
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): TBA
Extra curricular: Not much relevant to my course, but was a house captain, did volunteer services, and a few green services.
Other: International student.
Reply 79
Course: French & Spanish
Universities: Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham (don't know 5th yet)
GCSE grades: TBC
AS grades (predicted/achieved): TBC
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): TBC
Extra curricular: Expedition to Cambodia, Uni open days, Newcastle Uni student shadowing, school trip to France & Belgium
Other: Retail experience, volunteering, NCS, learning guitar

Anybody have ant suggestions for extra curricular activities for a future languages student???:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending