The Student Room Group

University applicants 2016 thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Course: Economics
Universities: LSE, UCL, Warwick, Manchester and one more to be decided.
GCSE grades: 4A* 7A
AS grades (predicted/achieved): AAAA
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): A*A*AA
Extra curricular: EPQ, week work experience, fair few books, maths tutor
Other: Grade 8 classical guitar
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by lnstrumentality
Course: Biomedical sciences, infectious diseases and virology
Universities: Oxford, Durham, Edinburgh, Bristol and Glasgow
GCSE grades: 4 A* 6 A
AS grades (predicted/achieved): AAAA
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): I'm hoping for A*A*A or A*AA at the very least
Extra curricular: Read heavily around my subjects (mainly about infectious diseases), biosciences summer schools in July, I won a free trip to Grenoble to see the ESRF, HE+ in biochemistry, week long research project coming up in July, going to CERN, attended a pathology lecture, genetics workshop, biology sessions at Lancaster Uni coming up this month, I run an online infectious diseases/biomedical blog (here if anyone's interested) and I follow a podcast called This Week in Virology
Other: I've been playing the violin for 8 years now and I'm doing NCS this August

which date in August are you doing NCS?
Reply 82
Original post by Larisssssa
Course: Biomedical Sciences / Natural Sciences
Universities: York, Edinburgh, Durham, Manchester, Bath and Cambridge (If I get the grades)
GCSE Grades: 7A*, 4A
AS grades Predicted: AAAA (although I had a few bad exams so I am now doubtful)
Extra Curricular: Grade 8 distinction singing - working towards 1st and 2nd Diploma, Grade 7 Violin distinction, harp (hired as an accompanist for choirs and as part of an orchestra, guitar, choirs (york minster, westminster abbey, royal festival hall, Canterbury, Barcelona St Edmundsbury Cathedral, Monserrat and Igulada Basilica and 7 oxbridge colleges), orchestras - violin (royal festival hall, royal albert hall, St.Luke's, various German hotels), patron of a charity, speaker at a medical conference, kayaking, running, school lecture programme, painting + drawing, EPQ, Law Society, taught in the journalism club for lower school, lead and directed a string orchestra at my school.
Other: Maybe I should be taking music...

goals
Course: HSPS/Similar SS courses
Universities: Cambridge(King's/Pembroke), York, Durham, Bath, KCL
GCSE grades: 11A's
AS grades (predicted/achieved): predicted 4A's
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): predicted 2A*'s 1A
Extra curricular: Jazz Band, Volunteering, Heaps of work experiences(including Law with both Lawyers and Barristers, also at the H.o.C, Political party involvement(senior), Debating competitions, Leader of Politics and Current Affairs society, probably missing some stuff..
(edited 8 years ago)
Course: Mechatronics and Robotics Engineering (or some variant thereof)
Universities: Leeds, Sheffield, Lancaster, Liverpool, UCLan
GCSE grades: 4A*, 8A
AS grades (predicted/achieved): AAA (predicted)
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): ADD ( my exams went horrifically :frown: )
Extra curricular: Part time job and planned work experience, piano grade 7, flute grade 6, arts award silver, planning EPQ this year, planning running a physics club for younger students this year.
Other: I'm resitting the year due to said poor exams and I'll be taking another AS, probably in either biology or further maths.
Original post by A_kris
Course: French & Spanish
Universities: Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham (don't know 5th yet)
GCSE grades: TBC
AS grades (predicted/achieved): TBC
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): TBC
Extra curricular: Expedition to Cambodia, Uni open days, Newcastle Uni student shadowing, school trip to France & Belgium
Other: Retail experience, volunteering, NCS, learning guitar

Anybody have ant suggestions for extra curricular activities for a future languages student???:smile:

If you can, you could join a language exchange group or something! Good way to get more insight into the language, improve your communication skills, meet natives/like-minded people, and even exchange cultures :smile: You could always watch films in French and Spanish too, or read books or tutor someone who needs help with the subjects! :smile:
Course: Law
Universities: Cambridge (hopefully), UCL, LSE, Durham, Warwick
GCSE: 10 A*s
AS predicted: AAAA
A2 predicted: No idea, hope they're decent though
Extra curricular: Court visits, work experience in law firms/chambers, EPQ
Other: Umm
It's hard to answer all those question because I am actually not from uk and education system is a little bit different, but i have one what do you think about Roehampton University ? And by the way maybe someone is thinking about apply there ??
Course: HSPS & PPE

Universities: Cambridge (Emmanuel), Warwick, York, Exeter, East Anglia

GCSE: 1 A*, 8 A's

AS predicted: AAAA

A2 predicted: A*A*A*

Extra curricular: EPQ, scholars program, debating, head of Fem Soc, Head of College, internship at the mayors office (London), tutoring others..

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to apply to dmu too for accounting and finance 2016 :smile:
Reply 90
Hello!

I'm applying for Marketing at Brighton, Bucks New, Kingston and South Bank! I'll be a mature student there! I'll be 23 if I get in and start next September! Slightly worried.

Anyone know if you need every single certificate for GCSE's & A Levels to apply?

Thanks! :smile:
Hi there!
Applying for robotics and mechatronics engineering at Leeds, Sheffield, Liverpool and Lancaster this coming January :biggrin:
Best of luck to everyone
Hi :smile: I'm going to be apply for History at Birmingham, Nottingham, Loughborough, Keele and Chester (Possibly swapping one for Sheffield depending on results) this year. Really excited personally!
Me too planning for DMU bsc computer science 2nd year entry if i score around 50% in my 1st year at mumbai university,if something around 75% i could apply to UCL,Kings Or Imperial to gain entry into the 1st year.But at the end of the day my parents would only put me in an university closer to home.Can someone suggest me some good universities which have a good international crowd mix
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 94
Original post by mmoane93
Hello!

I'm applying for Marketing at Brighton, Bucks New, Kingston and South Bank! I'll be a mature student there! I'll be 23 if I get in and start next September! Slightly worried.

Anyone know if you need every single certificate for GCSE's & A Levels to apply?

Thanks! :smile:

I'll be 24 next September, and also have absolutely no idea where my old certificates are :tongue: I can't even remember half of the modules that I took at A-level, so filling in UCAS is going to be fun!

I took one A-level this summer, so I'll have my certificate for that. But otherwise...
Reply 95
I'll be applying to study Medicine and will probably apply to QMUL, Oxford, Bristol and Cardiff/Newcastle... depending on UKCAT results of course!
Reply 96
I'll be applying for History and Russian, but I haven't chosen where yet...I'm thinking of Scotland.
I have an unconditional offer at wolverhampton for Sep 2016 :wink:
I'm going to be applying for History and Russian Studies/ History courses.

I'm going to apply to Birmingham, Nottingham, Derby and Newman (don't have a 5th choice!).
I would most like to go to the University of Birmingham. I want to study History and Russian and only Birmingham and Nottingham offer this (in the Midlands area). In Birmingham the history modules look more interesting and you have more freedom of choice, you also get to go to Russia for 4 weeks in the first year, and then for a whole year during third year.

Edit: Will probably swap Derby and Newman for Sheffield and UCL
(edited 8 years ago)
Might as well. I will be applying for History and Politics/ Politics and International Relations (although more leaning to Pol/ IR). I've got my mind set on Nottingham, but of course am not sure how things will pan out in the coming months from September onwards. I'm studying an Access to HE and will be 20 when I start University next year.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending