The Student Room Group

University applicants 2016 thread!

Post your course, university choices and academic information here!

Course:
Universities:
GCSE grades:
AS grades (predicted/achieved):
A2 grades (predicted/achieved):
Extra curricular:
Other:

Edminzodo
Course: Egyptology
Universities: Liverpool, Oxford, UCL (twice), Birmingham
GCSE grades: -
AS grades (predicted/achieved): -
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): -
Extra curricular: Marched at the Cenotaph (November 2014), UCL lecture day, Museum of London lecture, Cambridge essay competition, language course, archive work experience, library/archive volunteering, scholars programme, EPQ
Other: Silver DofE, volunteering with kids, Grade 4 Singing, reading
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Course:Computer Science/Computer Science with AI
Universities: Loughborough/Nottingham/Bath
GCSE grades:8 B's 1 C
AS grades (predicted/achieved): Predicted - AABD
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): Don't know..although hopping for AAB/AAA
Extra curricular: Young Enterprise/Finance and Accounting event also 3 years of work experience - not much but hoping to make it up this year
Other: Doing AQA bacc, still not too sure if Loughborough accepts it under their course.
Course: History and Politics/Politics
Universities: Oxford, LSE, Warwick, Essex, QMUL, King's, Royal Holloway
GCSE grades: 3 A*s, 10As
AS grades (predicted/achieved): AAAA
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): Hopefully A*AA/AAA
Extra curricular: LSE Choice Summer School, UCL Summer Challenge, UCL Unilink, Cambridge Essay Competition, Cambridge masterclasses, Oxford study day, Oxford PPE lectures, EPQ, external reading etc.
:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Course: English literature/ English literature and language
Universities: Durham firmed, York insurance.
GCSE grades: 10 A*s, 1 A (Maths :wink:)
AS grades (achieved): AAAA and also got an A* in EPQ.
A2 grades: predicted 3 A*s, after exams I think A*AA (fingers crossed)! :tongue:
Extra curricular: EPQ, Cambridge Masterclass, founded school newspaper, poetry competition, debating, book shop work experience, grade 7 ballet, primary school volunteering, head of house etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
Course: Computer Science
Universities: [offers] UCL, King's Collage
GCSE grades: 4a , 6b
AS grades (achieved): A A B B
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): (A) achieved A* A
Extra curricular:
Other:

Quick question: So UCL wants A* in FM and A in physics, but if I retake my C3 to get A* in maths and if I get an A in FM will I still get my place ? ( I'm self taught)

{edited}
(edited 8 years ago)
Course: Computer Science.
(edited 8 years ago)
Course: Biomedical sciences, infectious diseases and virology
Universities: Oxford, Durham, Edinburgh, Bristol and Glasgow
GCSE grades: 4 A* 6 A
AS grades (predicted/achieved): AAAA
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): I'm hoping for A*A*A or A*AA at the very least
Extra curricular: Read heavily around my subjects (mainly about infectious diseases), biosciences summer schools in July, I won a free trip to Grenoble to see the ESRF, HE+ in biochemistry, week long research project coming up in July, going to CERN, attended a pathology lecture, genetics workshop, biology sessions at Lancaster Uni coming up this month, I run an online infectious diseases/biomedical blog (here if anyone's interested) and I follow a podcast called This Week in Virology
Other: I've been playing the violin for 8 years now and I'm doing NCS this August
Course: Civil Engineering
Universities: Swansea, Exeter, Nottingham, Loughborough and Nottingham Trent
GCSE grades: 3A*s, 6As and 2Bs
AS grades (predicted): ABBE
Extra curricular: Not much haha
Reply 8
Year 1 engineering students: Please join this homework help group that I created. It is very helpful for the current Year 1 students. And there are past paper solutions posted there: https://www.facebook.com/groups/AerospaceHelp/
Wow! You're all super prepared!! I'm not applying this year, but let me know if you want any tips/advice, I applied to do Business Finance & Economics, and visited Nottingham, Southampton, and East Anglia, so know about those specifically as well!

Good luck with your applications!

Original post by ninjasinpjs
Course: Computer Science
Universities: UCL, King's Collage
GCSE grades: 4a , 2b
AS grades (achieved): A A B B
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): (A) achieved A* A
Extra curricular:
Other:

Quick question: So UCL wants A* in FM and A in physics, but if I retake my C3 to get A* in maths and if I get an A in FM will I still get my place ? ( I'm self taught)

It depends - whilst they've said they specifically want those grades, they can still choose to accept you if you don't get them... For example, my sister had a ABB offer, but got ABD and the university still accepted her. No one will be able to say, yes, they'll definitely accept you, but it may be worth calling them up and asking!
Course: Biomedical Sciences / Natural Sciences
Universities: York, Edinburgh, Durham, Manchester, Bath and Cambridge (If I get the grades)
GCSE Grades: 7A*, 4A
AS grades Predicted: AAAA (although I had a few bad exams so I am now doubtful)
Extra Curricular: Grade 8 distinction singing - working towards 1st and 2nd Diploma, Grade 7 Violin distinction, harp (hired as an accompanist for choirs and as part of an orchestra, guitar, choirs (york minster, westminster abbey, royal festival hall, Canterbury, Barcelona St Edmundsbury Cathedral, Monserrat and Igulada Basilica and 7 oxbridge colleges), orchestras - violin (royal festival hall, royal albert hall, St.Luke's, various German hotels), patron of a charity, speaker at a medical conference, kayaking, running, school lecture programme, painting + drawing, EPQ, Law Society, taught in the journalism club for lower school, lead and directed a string orchestra at my school.
Other: Maybe I should be taking music...
Original post by mobbsy91
Wow! You're all super prepared!! I'm not applying this year, but let me know if you want any tips/advice, I applied to do Business Finance & Economics, and visited Nottingham, Southampton, and East Anglia, so know about those specifically as well!

Good luck with your applications!

It depends - whilst they've said they specifically want those grades, they can still choose to accept you if you don't get them... For example, my sister had a ABB offer, but got ABD and the university still accepted her. No one will be able to say, yes, they'll definitely accept you, but it may be worth calling them up and asking!

What university did she apply to? They wrote in the letter I can get A* in physics and A in fmaths as alternative.
Original post by ninjasinpjs
What university did she apply to? They wrote in the letter I can get A* in physics and A in fmaths as alternative.

She went to University West of England, so nowhere near as good as UCL... That's good that they've written that as that gives a little leeway! Good luck!
I am doing Maths Chem Physics this year at AS, I think I will get a strong A in chemistry, borderline A in maths (slipped up in m1 but i'm good at maths, will go for an A* next year), and like a mid B in physics. I'm planning to drop physics and fast track economics a level next year. My gcse's were 5A*'s and 5A's.

My teachers have said they will predict me an A* in maths and chem and an A for the fast track economics (this prediction is based on a variety of factors during my school life).

I am not able to take further maths even up to an AS.

I will try and write a very good personal statement and will use the fast track economics to show that enthusiasm for the course. But do I not have a chance at LSE/UCL because of the lack of FM?

i would prefer UCL out of the two :smile:
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
I am doing Maths Chem Physics this year at AS, I think I will get a strong A in chemistry, borderline A in maths (slipped up in m1 but i'm good at maths, will go for an A* next year), and like a mid B in physics. I'm planning to drop physics and fast track economics a level next year. My gcse's were 5A*'s and 5A's.

My teachers have said they will predict me an A* in maths and chem and an A for the fast track economics (this prediction is based on a variety of factors during my school life).

I am not able to take further maths even up to an AS.

I will try and write a very good personal statement and will use the fast track economics to show that enthusiasm for the course. But do I not have a chance at LSE/UCL because of the lack of FM?

i would prefer UCL out of the two :smile:

Hi! I've had a quick look at UCL for you, and if you check out this site here!

So, you don't need FM to do it, but you'll need Economics if your school offers it (an A in that!) and an A* in Maths. So yep, you still have a chance!

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll be happy to help!
Hi! I've had a quick look at UCL for you, and if you check out this site here!

So, you don't need FM to do it, but you'll need Economics if your school offers it (an A in that!) and an A* in Maths. So yep, you still have a chance!

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll be happy to help!

Are you studying in UCL right now or thinking of applying?

I may not be allowed to do Economics now so may have to stick with physics. Would UCL accept the subject combination of Maths Chemistry and Physics?
Are you studying in UCL right now or thinking of applying?

I may not be allowed to do Economics now so may have to stick with physics. Would UCL accept the subject combination of Maths Chemistry and Physics?

I'm actually heading to uni this September, but no, not good enough for UCL :wink:

It depends whether or not your school allow Economics at all. They say:
Mathematics grade A* required, plus grade A if Economics being offered.

so, if it's offered and you don't do it, they'll likely not accept you.... If your school doesn't offer it at all, then not doing Economics won't matter!
I'm actually heading to uni this September, but no, not good enough for UCL :wink:

It depends whether or not your school allow Economics at all. They say:

so, if it's offered and you don't do it, they'll likely not accept you.... If your school doesn't offer it at all, then not doing Economics won't matter!

Are you sure by 'if offered' means if I am taking it? I see what you mean aswell but i thought by that it meant that if I am offering the subject to them xD
Are you sure by 'if offered' means if I am taking it? I see what you mean aswell but i thought by that it meant that if I am offering the subject to them xD

When they say 'if offered', it means that if your school gives you the opportunity to take Economics, then you need an A in it. That's what all my teachers have said, as well as other's I've spoken to with regard to applications and UCAS.

This is kind of because, if your school offers it, but you aren't taking it, then why are you bothering to do a degree in it...

You'd need to speak to them direct to investigate whether they'd be able to make an exception.
When they say 'if offered', it means that if your school gives you the opportunity to take Economics, then you need an A in it. That's what all my teachers have said, as well as other's I've spoken to with regard to applications and UCAS.

This is kind of because, if your school offers it, but you aren't taking it, then why are you bothering to do a degree in it...

You'd need to speak to them direct to investigate whether they'd be able to make an exception.

Ah damn, that is true. My school does offer it but I couldn't pick it due to timetabling clashes and there was no spaces left to switch into it. If I get a teachers reference to explain this, would I be able to get a exception?

By the way, would they search up my school name to see if they offered it? :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest