The Student Room Group

AQA History B Unit 2 - Twentieth Century Depth Studies (Paper 2)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by BasicMistake
I'll be interested in comparing your notes with the ones that my teacher desperately attempted to teach us after realising what the new specification entailed.

And what advice would you give for the 8 mark questions? For me it seems like the least structured of all questions in the course; I have always just written a massive paragraph with all my points before finishing with my conclusion.

Also, you have earned a follower and rep for your outstanding threads :smile:

Cheers, I'll send you the notes I have tonight when I'm on my computer
I'm not 100% sure but I think 4 points preferably in chronological order

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Cal1999
Hello,

Next Wednesday (10th June 2015) is the AQA HISTORY OPTION B Examination Paper. The topics that I will be completing are: America in the 1920s, Nazi Germany and Vietnam.

After reviewing my notes, it seems that my teacher has forgotten to supply me with notes that could prove to be somewhat useful; I would be extremely grateful and appreciative if somebody could provide me with the notes that I require.

These are the notes that I need:

Nazi Germany;

Kreisau Circle
Stauffenberg Bomb Plot
Effect of the war on the Civilian Population - bombing, rationing and propaganda
Impact of WWII on German Economy
The Church

Thank you :-)

Also, does anyone have any predictions for these topics?

Sadly, I am so much better at paper 1!

Any advice for the paper would be appreciated too.

yeah i have the notes on Nazi Germany that you're looking for

The Kreisau Circle was a group formed of many educated, conservative Germans (lawyers, aristocrats, politicians) the were opposed to the destruction Hitler was causing in Europe. They met occasionally in the home of Count Moltke. The group was eventually broken up by the Gestapo and Moltke was arrested in 1944 and shot in 1945.

The Stauffenburg bomb plot was led by Claus von Stauffenburg who had been a Nazi supporter but became disillusioned by the brutality of the SS. He led a plot of plant a bomb under a table, near Hitler at a meeting he was attending. However, someone moved the briefcase containing the bomb slightly away from Hitler and it ended killing 4 people but only slightly injuring Hitler. All the plotters were rounded up and executed. Hitler used this as an excuse to arrest and execute all known opponents (more that 5000 people).

Bombing destroyed factories and transport systems, thus contributing to more problems of shortages of food and supplies. The highest concentration of raids to attack Germany was in the Rhineland and Ruhr areas. In March 1942, the RAF and US air force began major bombing. By 1945, 2 million homes had been destroyed (20% of all housing), 20 million Germans were homeless and more than 3 million civilians had been killed.

Rationing was introduced immediately after the war began to avoid shortages reaching a critical level. They were based on age, race, occupation. As long as the USSR was an ally some supplies such as grain could be imported but after the invasion of June 1941, shortages became more common. By 1945, levels were critical in terms of food and fuel.

propaganda - easy to keep high morale in the first two years
- nazis appealed to patriotism
- women encouraged to help labour shortages by working in war industries and transport
- posters encouraged Germans to use less coal and look out for communist spies
however, when the USSR hadn't been defeated by December 1941 and more German soldiers were dying, the mood quickly worsened and Germans became cynical of propaganda. This got even worse due to the frequent air bombing

Effect on German economy
A lot of this part is from interpretations of bombing and rations
e.g. the bombing destroyed industrial areas harming the economy and make the supply shortages worse
- German industries that contributed to the war effort thrived but once total war was declared in 1943 all industrial production became geared towards the war effort, leading to shortages in other commodities.
- after the war industrial production was on 1/3 of the 1938 level.

The Church
After Hitler became Reich Chancellor and Fuhrer he wanted to maintain the dictatorship he had established by suppressing people and the church may have been a hinderance to his being able to brainwash them.
Therefore, he signed a Concordat with the Catholic church - basically promising to stay out of each others' business. But the Protestant church was brought under the Reich church and under Hitler's control.
The Churches did very little to oppose Hitler in the 30s. Very few pastors were put in prison for speeches against the Nazi policies. Many pastors simply left the Reich church and set up their own church. One leading opponent was Mrtin Niemoller, who was arrested in 1937 and spent the WW2 years in a concentration camp. Another was Dietrich Bonhoeffer, who openly preached that Nazism was anti-christian. He was executed in 1945.
Have you got any exam techniques for the section b and c questions because we don't use any sources anymore. By the way i am doing those topics as well.
Reply 43
how do i amswer an 8 mark question and 12 mark question :frown:
Original post by Jitesh
I will PM you some notes
anyone else who needs them hit me up

Do you have any notes for Hitler's Germany? I would really appreciate them! Thanks.
Okay so I've done some plans for questions on my topics. No one seems to do depression and the New Deal except my school aha. Anyway, since a lot of you seem to do the roaring twenties then I've got loads of plans for 6 mark questions, if anyone would like help with a plan for any of the following questions then I would be more than happy to help :smile:

1) Explain why the USA refused to join the league of nations in the 1920s
2) Explain why the USA adopted a policy of isolationism in the 1920s
3) Explain the effects of isolationism
4) Explain whether was an economic boom in the 1920s
5) Explain why the lives of some women changed in America during the 1920s
6) Explain why prohibition was introduced
7) Explain why prohibition failed
8) Explain how divided the USA was in the 1920s
9) Explain why the farming industry did not share in the economic boom of the 1920s
10) Explain why there were limits on immigration in the USA in the 1920s
11) Explain why the KKK was popular in the 1920s
12) Explain why the stock market crashed
Original post by ....T
how do i amswer an 8 mark question and 12 mark question :frown:

8 mark:
4 paragraphs. Each paragraph includes a reason why/consequence of the topic (depending on what you are asked). No conclusion is required to access full marks, you just need to make sure that each reason you make is supported by specific detail and you have explained WHY it is a reason for the topic.

12 mark:
5 paragraphs. The first 2 paragraphs contain a reason each for why the interpretation expressed in the statement could be considered to be true, the next two paragraphs contain a reason each for why the interpretation expressed could NOT be considered to be true. Again, remember to explain WHY and include specific detail. The final paragraph is a conclusion that says why both interpretations are important, but also a judgement of which interpretation is more important and why.
Original post by MyNameIsNotJeff
8 mark:
4 paragraphs. Each paragraph includes a reason why/consequence of the topic (depending on what you are asked). No conclusion is required to access full marks, you just need to make sure that each reason you make is supported by specific detail and you have explained WHY it is a reason for the topic.

12 mark:
5 paragraphs. The first 2 paragraphs contain a reason each for why the interpretation expressed in the statement could be considered to be true, the next two paragraphs contain a reason each for why the interpretation expressed could NOT be considered to be true. Again, remember to explain WHY and include specific detail. The final paragraph is a conclusion that says why both interpretations are important, but also a judgement of which interpretation is more important and why.

Very useful thank you! Could you briefly go over the 6 and 10 mark in 1920s America (if you are doing it) and Nazi German questions? Thanks.
Original post by littleheron
Very useful thank you! Could you briefly go over the 6 and 10 mark in 1920s America (if you are doing it) and Nazi German questions? Thanks.

Sorry, I don't do Nazi Germany. I do the roaring twenties, the great depression and the vietnam war. If you would like me to write an answer for any questions that you can think of those topics then I'll do that, or even just to give you notes.

6 mark:
Three paragraphs. Each paragraph explains the cause/consequence of a topic. Make sure each of the paragraphs contain completely separate points that have specific detail to support. You must also include why that specific cause/consequence of the topic was important.

10 mark:
3 paragraphs. The first paragraph contains three inferences with specific detail to support each of them. The second paragraph discusses the provenance of the source. There should be three points to discuss on provenance and how they affect the reliability and therefore the usefulness of the source. For the three provenance points you could say: when the source was produced, who produced the source and what the source is (e.g. a cartoon). The third paragraph is a conclusion that assesses the overall usefulness of the source
Reply 49
Im doing:
-Weimar Germany
-Hitler's Germany
-Race Relations
so if anyone has any predictions for the questions that would be great!!
also if anyone needs any help with any of the syllabus feel free to ask :smile:
Original post by catpeas
Im doing:
-Weimar Germany
-Hitler's Germany
-Race Relations
so if anyone has any predictions for the questions that would be great!!
also if anyone needs any help with any of the syllabus feel free to ask :smile:

I am doing Vietnam War, The Roaring 20s and Hitlers Germany. Any predictions?
Reply 51
if anyone else needs Hitler's Germany new content resources, send me a PM
Can you please help me with a plan for questions 3,4,6,7,8,9,10,11 and 12?
Okay so there is one prediction i found: ''if germans benefited from nazi rule''
Are there any more? We all seem to be doing same topics so we can discuss. Has anyone got any more topics about Hitlers Germany, Roaring 20s and vietnam war?
For Hitlers Germany i think I found;
How and why was Hitler able to become Chancellor in January 1933?
How did Hitler change Germany from a democracy to a Nazi dictatorship, 1933-1934, and then reinforce this?

But likely one is the one that was mentioned earlier.
Reply 55
Original post by ahsank98
For Hitlers Germany i think I found;
How and why was Hitler able to become Chancellor in January 1933?
How did Hitler change Germany from a democracy to a Nazi dictatorship, 1933-1934, and then reinforce this?

But likely one is the one that was mentioned earlier.

Aren't they just the key questions from the specification lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found it randomly but the nazi benefit thing will come up i guess.
Reply 57
Sorry my post doesn't seem like it uploaded
I attached sample responses to June 2011 & the MS to June 2011 an
Reply 58
Original post by ahsank98
I am doing Vietnam War, The Roaring 20s and Hitlers Germany. Any predictions?

I do Roaring 20s, Great depression& new deal and vietnam War.
Predictions for Roaring Twenties:
4: not sure but doesn't really matter cause you don't need to remember or include any specific detail, you're just making inferences from the source
6: Explain the consequences of prohibition
10: Source about the KKK
Predictions for The Great Depression&New Deal:
8: Explain how the depression caused Roosevelt's landslide victory
12: "The New Deal was a popular solution to the problems caused by the Great Depression". How far do you agree with this interpretation?
Predictions for Vietnam War:
8: Explain the consequences of French Defeat in 1954 for both Vietnam and USA
12: "The My Lai Massacre was the main reason why American Public Opinion turned against US involvement in Vietnam". How far do you agree with this interpretation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending