The Student Room Group

Titration Calculation Help

I'm practising my chemistry practical exam and I found a titration which requires you to find the total acidity in terms of moles of available protons per dm3 of solution of a mixture of ethanedioic acid and ethanoic acid, by titration with sodium hydroxide solution of concentration 0.100 moldm-3.

If the titre value for the NaOH is 26.10 cm3, how would you go about working it out since it's a mixture of two acids?

I started out by finding the moles of NaOH in 26.10 cm3 which would be 0.00261 moles. If it were a solution of one of the acids the calculation would be simple but I'm getting lost since it's a binary mixture. :s-smilie:
Original post by TheStoryteller
I'm practising my chemistry practical exam and I found a titration which requires you to find the total acidity in terms of moles of available protons per dm3 of solution of a mixture of ethanedioic acid and ethanoic acid, by titration with sodium hydroxide solution of concentration 0.100 moldm-3.

If the titre value for the NaOH is 26.10 cm3, how would you go about working it out since it's a mixture of two acids?

I started out by finding the moles of NaOH in 26.10 cm3 which would be 0.00261 moles. If it were a solution of one of the acids the calculation would be simple but I'm getting lost since it's a binary mixture. :s-smilie:

It matters not a whit that there be two acids as all you require is moles of hydrogen ions ...
Original post by charco
It matters not a whit that there be two acids as all you require is moles of hydrogen ions ...

I'm still very lost tbh :dong:
Original post by TheStoryteller
I'm still very lost tbh :dong:

Just pretend there is only one acid (eg HCl) and calculate the hydrogen ions from:

H+ + OH- --> H2O

Quick Reply

Latest