The Student Room Group

HNC, HND or Degree - Where should i go next ?

Hi All

I am just about to complete my Last year in college finishing a Part Time Construction Course.
I have finished my Btec's with Distinction* in both years of the Course and wondering where i should go next. I work in Full time employment for a Housing Association who have been paying my College fees so far.

I have been informed that HNC's are a small booster on level 3 education and would be useless after passing the ONC with High grades.

Where would you advise i go next - HNC, HND or BSC Hons ?

I have enough UCAS Point to meet the requirements of each of these courses.
My Preferred Areas of study are Building Studies, Architecture and Quantity Surveying.

Thanks for you Help.
Reply 1
Hi,
Is it the BTEC diploma in construction & the built environment you have done? And if so, is it the standard diploma or the "extended" diploma. I have just finished my first year of A levels in sixth form, but it is looking increasingly likely I will be enrolling to college next year to study the extended diploma, as I eventually wish to go into building surveying. Could you help me out in how you found the course, and how you feel it will benefit you in the future?

I intend on going straight to university achieving at least a DMM. These results and higher are strong enough to go into university, so the HNC/HND wouldn't really be needed. From the advice I've been given I would advise you to go to university, as if you're over 19, the HNC/HND would just be costing you needless money if you already have the grades required to be accepted into university.
Is the first year of a HND a HNC?
Reply 3
I did BTEC OND and then HNC before going on to do a BSc(Hons)
Original post by Howard
I did BTEC OND and then HNC before going on to do a BSc(Hons)

But do you know if the first year of a HND is the same as a HNC as its a lower level than a HND?
Reply 5
Original post by annalynn96
But do you know if the first year of a HND is the same as a HNC as its a lower level than a HND?

That much I can't tell you. All I remember was that an HNC got me into university to do my BSc(Hons). Whether one year of an HND would do the same trick I don't know.
Reply 6
Original post by Newman34
Hi All

I am just about to complete my Last year in college finishing a Part Time Construction Course.
I have finished my Btec's with Distinction* in both years of the Course and wondering where i should go next. I work in Full time employment for a Housing Association who have been paying my College fees so far.

I have been informed that HNC's are a small booster on level 3 education and would be useless after passing the ONC with High grades.

Where would you advise i go next - HNC, HND or BSC Hons ?

I have enough UCAS Point to meet the requirements of each of these courses.
My Preferred Areas of study are Building Studies, Architecture and Quantity Surveying.

Thanks for you Help.

If you have enough points I'd go straight onto a BSc(Hons)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending