The Student Room Group

WJEC English Language Reading Tuesday

So what format is everyone following for the exam? I've been taught to do PE for questions 1 and 2, showing inferred meaning, but PEE for question 3. I've also been informed to simply make comparisons in question 4 under the headings.
I'm slightly weary about whether this format will suffice.

Scroll to see replies

Yeah that's what we've been told too! How are you revising for it? I haven't really done anything because I have no idea how to revise English language :s-smilie:
Reply 2
That's what I've been told as well! Does anyone know how to identify the questions? Or do they just come up in that order?:s-smilie:
Can u give me an example for a PE and PEE paragraph?
Reply 4
Original post by edat
That's what I've been told as well! Does anyone know how to identify the questions? Or do they just come up in that order?:s-smilie:

It's unsure what order the questions will be in and what type they'll be. Question 1 is likely to be an information retrieval question which is just PE. Then a 'how?' question might come up which is PEE identifying techniques. It could be an impressions question next or even another how question. Then it should end with compare and contrast...
That is the method I am following as well :biggrin: Does anyone have any predictions of what the writing questions would be?
Original post by katebeckett
That is the method I am following as well :biggrin: Does anyone have any predictions of what the writing questions would be?

I hope letter and report
Reply 7
I thought maybe something to do with lowering the voting age?
oh my god does anyone know how to write a report? i literally have no idea
Original post by Anya95
I thought maybe something to do with lowering the voting age?

ooh this sounds quite possible tbh...
Original post by TheSurrealTV
I hope letter and report

Ahh me too. I think it is most probably leaflet or possibly a guide or a speech.
They did report in 2012 so I think we will get it again
Reply 12
how much do we have to compare and contrast in question 4??????? urgh im dying, havent revised for this exam
Original post by TheSurrealTV
Can u give me an example for a PE and PEE paragraph?

Just pretend this is a PE response to an article of someone complaining about camping, and perhaps the question is asking "Explain why Lucy hates camping?"

Example of PE: It is clear that Lucy is annoyed as her camping equipment "blew away" in the wind making her very "angry" as she was already "annoyed" with her friend who forgot to pack the "sausages".

Now, this could perhaps be a PEE response, to Lucy's camping article, the question could be "How does Lucy try to convince the reader not to go camping"

Example of PEE: Lucy appears very adamant to inform the reader of how "terrible" camping is as she complains about the "muddy grass" and "sleepless" nights she had to spend in a "tent" that broke due to the "howling wind". This may make the reader develop a very strong "hate", similar to Lucy, for camping however it could also illustrate to the reader that Lucy is being bias as she expressed her hatred towards "nature" at the beginning of the article, thus could in fact convince the reader that camping is "okay".
Original post by Marina-B
Just pretend this is a PE response to an article of someone complaining about camping, and perhaps the question is asking "Explain why Lucy hates camping?"

Example of PE: It is clear that Lucy is annoyed as her camping equipment "blew away" in the wind making her very "angry" as she was already "annoyed" with her friend who forgot to pack the "sausages".

Now, this could perhaps be a PEE response, to Lucy's camping article, the question could be "How does Lucy try to convince the reader not to go camping"

Example of PEE: Lucy appears very adamant to inform the reader of how "terrible" camping is as she complains about the "muddy grass" and "sleepless" nights she had to spend in a "tent" that broke due to the "howling wind". This may make the reader develop a very strong "hate", similar to Lucy, for camping however it could also illustrate to the reader that Lucy is being bias as she expressed her hatred towards "nature" at the beginning of the article, thus could in fact convince the reader that camping is "okay".

How many pee do we have to do for that question?
Dear all,I too will be sitting the GCSE WJEC English Language Examination tomorrow. My reading paper isn't as strong as I want it to be, so therefore, would you be able to provide me with some tips for how to get in the highest band? - By highest I mean, 8/9/10 for each question. Also, do you have any tips for the writing paper? Fast replies would be appreciated.Kind Regards.
Original post by Cal1999
Dear all,I too will be sitting the GCSE WJEC English Language Examination tomorrow. My reading paper isn't as strong as I want it to be, so therefore, would you be able to provide me with some tips for how to get in the highest band? - By highest I mean, 8/9/10 for each question. Also, do you have any tips for the writing paper? Fast replies would be appreciated.Kind Regards.

Didn't know there were Eton boys here :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by Anya95
It's unsure what order the questions will be in and what type they'll be. Question 1 is likely to be an information retrieval question which is just PE. Then a 'how?' question might come up which is PEE identifying techniques. It could be an impressions question next or even another how question. Then it should end with compare and contrast...

Ah okay thanks!:smile:
Original post by Marina-B

Hi there.

So for the very first question, it will always be PE right?

For example, explain how gaming has affected his life.

And the "how" the write achieves something question is PEE?

If so, what is "why is World of Warcraft a dangerous game?" Would that be PE or PEE? I saw this video on youtube where the person goes through this exact paper but he says that only the 1st question is PE and all the rest are PEE.
What/explain questions:
inference, quote x10 (more if you can) eg.Lewis is a good role model because he is 'polite' and 'friendly
How questions:
5 points of what the author said (with quotes)
5 points of HOW they said it (imagery, stats, emotive language)
Thoughts and feelings questions:
Quote, inference x10 or more
eg. The fact that Lewis grew up with 'a single mother' looking after him makes me think he may have had a tough childhood
Comparisons:
5 similarities and 5 difference
Quote, inference, quote

This is what I've been told by a few people, hope it's helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending