Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Would you leave Durham for Edinburgh?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Wizdome
Thanks for your advice. Kinda figured everything out already. Would be going to DUrham:smile:.

I guess you made the right choice then. So you've applied to Durham already?Gotten a decision on your application?

Absolutely. I don't think staying at a University simply because of the brand is a good idea. My point was that go where you feel you'll do the best job. But Durham will open a lot of doors.

I haven't applied yet :smile:. I'll be doing so in September/October. Have you applied yet?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Wizdome
Thanks for your advice. Kinda figured everything out already. Would be going to DUrham:smile:.

Good choice. :goodluck:
Reply 22
shame because Edinburgh is a great city ...
Original post by Wizdome
Have to decide between Durham (Msc. New and Renewable Energy) and Edinburgh (Msc. Sustainable Energy Systems) over the next few days. Just wondering if there are any strong points in favor of Durham over Edinburgh (asides from the collegiate system of course! totally love it) especially since Edinburgh is consistently ranked in top 40 of QS and THE world rankings, whilst Durham is ranked avg of 80th - 90th yearly.
Cost of tuition shouldn't be factored cos I got a scholarship to cover any of both.

I would argue that Durham is the fifth best university in the UK, behind the old two, LSE and Imperial so I think you've made the right choice. I'd argue it's a tier above Edinburgh in terms of prestige.

I think rankings are very important, but the question is; which rankings? You'll find that universities that do better in global rankings: Edinburgh, KCL, B'ham, Manchester often don't do as well as universities such as Durham, Warwick, York, Exeter in the UK rankings. I've always valued UK rankings more, as I take the view that I'll be looking for employment in the UK and well, we know what our good universities are.

Edinburgh is a lovely city, and I've visited the university. The student union is particularly good and the quadrant section is lovely. I'm in a similar position to you, I've got Masters scholarships from Durham and UCL and I'm going for Durham as I just feel i'd have a better time there and my money will go further. See you there!
Original post by Jellyt
O Hello, i got offers from Durham and Edinburgh too, and i chose durham as my insurace choice, to study geography, and edinburgh to read sustainable development! I chose durham mainly because it seems to be a more recognised, not diminishing edinburgh by saying this, but i thought durham ranked higher than edinburgh. Also, durham’s field trips are apparenly of a higher standard too

So in your post you mention how Durham is more recognised yet you put it as your insurance? :lol:
Original post by Wizdome
Well said. I finally chose Durham and I'm happy to be going in September :biggrin:. The only downside is that I was assigned to hild & bede college inspite of my application to Castle & St Chad :s-smilie:. I wonder just how good hild is in comparison with Castle, since everyone seems to have high opinions of castle :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hild Bede is a nice college, you'll have a great time there :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by onimusha370
Hild Bede is a nice college, you'll have a great time there :smile:

It's nice to know. fallen in love with the college ever since..

Quick Reply

Latest