The Student Room Group

GCSE English Language AQA

For Question 1, what must you do in order to get 6-7 marks out of 8 other than giving further points on what you have learnt?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can someone please tell me how I'd structure....

A letter
A blog
A newspaper/ magazine article

Thank you
Original post by Helfus

A letter
A blog

Thank you

YES,YES,YES!! Soomebody pleaseeeee answer this question :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Mastermir101
For Question 1, what must you do in order to get 6-7 marks out of 8 other than giving further points on what you have learnt?

Umm.. use quotes as evidence and summarise the info in your own words. Dont analyse language! Q1 and 2 are the more simple questions where they dont ask alot from you i guess. But write about 5-8 different points and you will probably get full marks.
Hope that helped :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Helfus

A letter
A blog

Thank you

Letter:

It should always start with an address, with the date underneith. It should contain direct address ( you, we etc), and end formally with yours sincerely or if it is informal, yours faithfully.

Blog:

It should contain a headline/title, and start by greeting the reader. It can be formal or informal depending on the topic

Articles (magazines and newspaper):

It must start with a headline, and with a brief summary of the topic ( who, what, where, why, when, how?). The article should appear neutral in opinion and it is generally formal ( it might be slightly more chatty in a magazine article, but don't use slang!).

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Jay Rye
Letter:

It should always start with an address, with the date underneith. It should contain direct address ( you, we etc), and end formally with yours sincerely or if it is informal, yours faithfully.

Blog:

It should contain a headline/title, and start by greeting the reader. It can be formal or informal depending on the topic

Articles (magazines and newspaper):

It must start with a headline, and with a brief summary of the topic ( who, what, where, why, when, how?). The article should appear neutral in opinion and it is generally formal ( it might be slightly more chatty in a magazine article, but don't use slang!).

Hope this helps :smile:

My english teacher just told me that the context doesn't really matter, the skills assesed are always the same. So, for a blog, article and letter you should just argue/persuade and show how well you can write. He said the only exception is a letter, then you should put a 'Dear..' at the beginning and 'From..' at the end.
Reply 6
Original post by sarah1001
YES,YES,YES!! Soomebody pleaseeeee answer this question :biggrin:

The main reason that they specify whether it is a blog, letter or article is to see if you are able to write with the right level of formality.

Letters tend to be the most formal, depending on the recipient. For example, a letter to the mayor would be very formal but one to a local business would be a bit less formal.

Blogs tend to be the least formal out of all, as they are simple stories or information that someone can post online. For example, a blog about a visit to Rome can be informal as it doesnt really require you to formally address anyone.

Articles depend on the purpose. For example, an article about a subject which is not too serious doesn't require a lot of formality, whereas one for a serious issue such as a disaster would be more formal and would contain less satire.

Typical components of each type of writing:

Letter:
Address
Date
Addressing the recipient (e.g. Dear Sir)
Introduction about what the letter is about and its purpose (e.g. I am writing to you concerning...)
Your main points.
A small conclusion, which normally contains the aim (e.g. I hope you are able to take appropriate action...)
A sign-off (e.g. Yours sincerely)
Your name

Blog:
Normally open with an intriguing introduction
Tend to be detailed
Entertain the reader
Engage the reader using techniques such as rhetorical questions
Quite informal Opinions

Article:
Statistics
Quite formal
Informs readers
Clear points
Conclusion to summarise points (More or less any article you read online on a news website)
For any of the above you could add subtitles etc.
Also, you shouldnt use slang even if the writing is informal - always use Standard English.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Thank you.

Should I use headlines?
Reply 8
Original post by Helfus
Thank you.

Should I use headlines?

Personally, I wouldn't use a headline since I don't think it would make a difference.
Reply 9
I'M IN NEED OF HELP.
I just want to know if I didnt do the aqa coursework does it mean that I'm going to fail overall?
Original post by Hkilla
I'M IN NEED OF HELP.
I just want to know if I didnt do the aqa coursework does it mean that I'm going to fail overall?

None of the components at all? In AQA, the coursework equals 40% i believe, so in UMS grades, 270/300 is A*. 40% = 120 marks, so 300-120=180. And 180 is a C. So to get a C, you'd need to get full marks in the exam
Original post by Hkilla
I'M IN NEED OF HELP.

The Literature Coursework is 15% and the Language coursework is 40%.
(Not totally sure on the Lit but I know it's very low).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by mughushed
None of the components at all? In AQA, the coursework equals 40% i believe, so in UMS grades, 270/300 is A*. 40% = 120 marks, so 300-120=180. And 180 is a C. So to get a C, you'd need to get full marks in the exam

how many ums do u need for an A
Original post by Abuuuu
how many ums do u need for an A

240 UMS
Original post by michaelapplause9
The Literature Coursework is 15% and the Language coursework is 40%.
(Not totally sure on the Lit but I know it's very low).

I think the literature coursework is 30% if you're on AQA
Reply 15
Original post by Helfus

A letter
A blog

Thank you

For a letter you put your address in the right hand corner with the date in words underneath e.g. 2nd June 2015 then under that to the left the recipients address then if you are writing to some one you know write 'dear and their name' and end it with 'yours sincerely' if you don't know their name 'dear sir' or 'dear madam' and end with 'yours faithfully'. you should include an introductory paragraph about why you're writing and a conclusion summing up what you have said.

For an article include a headline and a strap line then subheadings and you can use bullet points i think if it fits the context and draw a box and say what image you would put in it.

For a blog make it more personal and slightly chatty as if you're talking to the reader.
Reply 16
How should you structure your answers for questions 1-4 we've only been taught about peeer paragraphs but we've never even taught what to do for this exam please help?
Reply 17
Original post by EmmaG99
How should you structure your answers for questions 1-4 we've only been taught about peeer paragraphs but we've never even taught what to do for this exam please help?

Here you go. Sorry it's a photo, i did write it in a different thread but for some reason i couldn't copy and paste it :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by mughushed

Thanks very much for replying.. so should I go to the exam? If I know I'm going to fail or should I atlas attempt it . I have to get full marks to pass ?
Original post by Hkilla
Thanks very much for replying.. so should I go to the exam? If I know I'm going to fail or should I atlas attempt it . I have to get full marks to pass ?

No problem! Yes, i'm pretty sure you have to get full marks to get a C. You could at least attempt it, a grade (albeit a failing one) is better than none or a U grade :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending