The Student Room Group

Computing A Level - One year?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Async
What grade is this person aiming for?

Said person would be me, a B at minimum, granted i spend about 8 hours a day on the computer and also have friends whom have done it before that could help aswell, not that it would matter much with coding but i have a WPM of 90 on average so i'm by no means an idiot on the computer haha, though i would be starting from scratch so :smile: Is the code in A2 significantly more advanced than in AS or do you pretty much get to the same level by the time you finish AS?
Original post by High Stakes
They are competant with Python & Java and they plan on starting from tomorrow. This ideally gives them the summer and the whole of next year. If they were to revise and work every day on from that point would it not be possible?

Iv'e not done it obviously, but surely if they're already competent at using two languages then they are a few months ahead of what a new student would be?
Reply 22
They are competant with Python & Java and they plan on starting from tomorrow. This ideally gives them the summer and the whole of next year. If they were to revise and work every day on from that point would it not be possible?

How competent? If possible could they show me some of the programming work they've done before so I can judge.. The most impressive ones, preferably in Java since I know Java better than Python.

Are they doing other subjects?

If they were to revise and work every day

It's impossible to revise and work everyday unless you truly have a genuine passion for computing. The amount of times I've said I'd revise everyday and ended up not doing **** is too much.

I know you may be thinking, "Who's this kid asking for all these stuff, who do you think you are". But that's not my intentions, I genuinely want to help your friend by giving them the best possible advise. Advice coming from someone who has experienced this(not that I've done a fast track in computing but you know what i mean.

@Richpeasant
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Richpeasant
Iv'e not done it obviously, but surely if they're already competent at using two languages then they are a few months ahead of what a new student would be?

I'd think so.
Original post by Async
How competent? If possible could they show me some of the programming work they've done before so I can judge.. The most impressive ones, preferably in Java since I know Java better than Python.

Are they doing other subjects?

Maths, Further Maths & Economics.
Reply 25
Said person would be me, a B at minimum, granted i spend about 8 hours a day on the computer and also have friends whom have done it before that could help aswell, not that it would matter much with coding but i have a WPM of 90 on average so i'm by no means an idiot on the computer haha, though i would be starting from scratch so :smile: Is the code in A2 significantly more advanced than in AS or do you pretty much get to the same level by the time you finish AS?

The jump from AS coding to A2 coding is insane. They literally expect you to be a pro at coding in order to get a good grade (B or above).
Reply 26
Maths, Further Maths & Economics.

Don't do it. It's too much for a single human to take. Even if you did someone got all the coding done for the computing a2 project, how are you/they going to have time for maths? further maths? Those subjects are not easy.
Original post by Async
Don't do it. It's too much for a single human to take. Even if you did someone got all the coding done for the computing a2 project, how are you/they going to have time for maths? further maths? Those subjects are not easy.

I'll only being doing Biology next year, think if would be possible for me to fast track, or would you completely go against it?
If they were to seek it through their college would they be able to get entered?

If the college is willing to enter them as a centre candidate and someone at the centre is willing to supervise and mark the project then it would be OK.
Reply 29
I'll only being doing Biology next year, think if would be possible for me to fast track, or would you completely go against it?

So Biology and Computing fast track? If so then let me some of your programming work or stuff you've done or worked with. Mainly the source code or whatever.
Original post by Async
So Biology and Computing fast track? If so then let me some of your programming work or stuff you've done or worked with. Mainly the source code or whatever.

I think you're mixing me and the OP up, ill be doing A2 Biology but fastrack Computing, iv'e not done programming as such before but the OP's friend said he's the competent one?:biggrin:
Reply 31
I think you're mixing me and the OP up, ill be doing A2 Biology but fastrack Computing, iv'e not done programming as such before but the OP's friend said he's the competent one?:biggrin:

Ahhh i see. If you're not highly competent in programming as of right now I wouldn't suggest it honestly.. Though how good are you at coding? You got any software you've already written?
Original post by Async
Ahhh i see. If you're not highly competent in programming as of right now I wouldn't suggest it honestly.. Though how good are you at coding? You got any software you've already written?

None at all, just from fresh, asif a completely blank slate, from what i see you saying it's pretty much impossible so i'll take that as your final answer, thanks for you guidance :biggrin:
Asking for a friend. Would it be possible for them to sit as a private candidate for computing and do all of their exams (and project) in one year?

Not impossible, I did it this year. But i did already have previous knowledge of the course and what i was getting myself into. I was also in touch with my tutors regarding access to our moodle and the coursework. I didn't pay my fees until the start of Feb this year, however i did need sign off to be put down for the coursework from a tutor.

If you start in summer i think you'll be able to know whether or not you think you'll be able to complete the course with good grades without paying for exams you don't want to sit. Either way, send my luck!
Original post by ruthwindon
Not impossible, I did it this year. But i did already have previous knowledge of the course and what i was getting myself into. I was also in touch with my tutors regarding access to our moodle and the coursework. I didn't pay my fees until the start of Feb this year, however i did need sign off to be put down for the coursework from a tutor.

If you start in summer i think you'll be able to know whether or not you think you'll be able to complete the course with good grades without paying for exams you don't want to sit. Either way, send my luck!

How did you get permission to do it? Did you just ask to do it all in one year?
How did you get permission to do it? Did you just ask to do it all in one year?

I'd already sat some of it before, and i had received bad grades, so i decided to resit as an external candidate. I only needed to be in contact with the exams office and they handled everything, all they wanted was the payment in Feb, which they gave me an estimate for (around £15 per unit, and £50 for the coursework, £125 total), and a signature off of one of the computing teachers. I might suggest emailing the exams office and asking what they might need (ie signatures) and then based on the information given, if you still decide to go ahead, email the computing department and see what they say. They may show doubt but it's your money, and your chance. If they agree to let you take the coursework but won't help/give you exam support, past papers are online and the skeleton code is released by the exam board so you can access it there.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest