The Student Room Group

AQA English Language help

My teacher has taught us an obscure way to answer the first 4 questions in the exam tomorrow. I've been watching Mr Bruff videos on the subject an his methods seem more logical and time-effective. I'm wondering whether to go against what I've been taught for the past two years or to stick to what I know, any advice?
Id probably go with Mr Bruff's way. No offence to your teacher but her way may be wrong. If in doubt look at the mark schemes and examiners reports. If you need help I can give you basic structure-
Compare how words are chosen by the writer for effect. What type of effect does it have? If it is emotive language it is used to evoke a sense of sympathy etc in the reader. ALWAYS LINK BACK TO CONTEXT. say how this feeling or emotion links back to the text.
Also use words such as evokes implies suggests in your analysis
Furthermore talk about connotations and the effect of what a word Connotes on the reader. Again relate back to context
Also only analyse the language. Anything else will get you no marks
Also compare how the language in each source is used for For different effect. Hope that helped? (:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
To he honest the teaching standard has been questionable for the entirety of the English GCSE course. In terms of the structure, I was hoping for more of a "spoonfeed me and tell me exactly what to write". I mean I know what the examiner is looking for, but I need to know how to set the answers out. For instance, my English teacher told me to do 8 small PEE burgers for the first question, each making a comment on what I learn, whereas Mr Bruff seems to show an exemplar answer with 4 PEE burgers. I'm stuck of which one to choose on all of the first 4 questions.

Quick Reply