The Student Room Group

How common are study groups at university?

Hi,

I was wondering how common study groups are on your course at university? I've been contemplating the idea of getting together the people who want to do well on my course (when I start university) and forming some sort of study group that facilitates our progress.

The trouble is, I don't know if people would generally be interested in that concept. Therefore, I'd like to know how you'd feel if someone on your course (at the start of the year) proposed the idea of forming a study group with a few others that meets weekly for an hour or so to talk through things. What would you say?
Reply 1
There's normally groups of friends who revise/study together, if someone on my course suggested this, right at the VERY start then I'd be open to it, but after a while, when friendship groups have established, no not really. But then again, right at the start, I wouldn't really be looking to join a study group, rather taking in uni and everything that comes with it.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think it's a great idea. All the smart people should be interested so would help your grade, too.

Maybe leave it a few weeks to let everyone settle down and enjoy freshers etc first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Exceptional
Hi,

I was wondering how common study groups are on your course at university? I've been contemplating the idea of getting together the people who want to do well on my course (when I start university) and forming some sort of study group that facilitates our progress.

The trouble is, I don't know if people would generally be interested in that concept. Therefore, I'd like to know how you'd feel if someone on your course (at the start of the year) proposed the idea of forming a study group with a few others that meets weekly for an hour or so to talk through things. What would you say?

At undergraduate non existant, but then most people on my course weren't interested in hanging out with each other outside classes and the work had to be done independently anyway- our essays had to be our own original work based our our interpretations. At posgraduate someone on my course did manage to get one together for one module a couple of times to cover seminar reading but in the end there wasn't a regular time we could all meet up so it didn't last.
I'm guessing a study group would work better in Science or Maths where answers are right or wrong.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest