The Student Room Group

What subjects for A-Level??? French and spanish or spanish and chemistry???

Okay so im 100% taking maths, spanish and physics in that order of preference. Would it be best to take chemistry or french as a 4th A-Level? I like french more but I'm not bad at chemistry or anything and i enjoy it and I would do well at it (I hope). I don't know whether I want to do engineering, some kind of management thing or languages in life- so what would be the best subject option? I'm sure you can get into engineering most places with just maths and physics but I heard some unis (especially bath which I like the look of) prefer you to have chemistry aswell... but just taking Spanish will limit my language options. :frown: Also, is two languages going to be too much work because I've heard some people really struggle!! AH PLS HELP :smile:
Reply 1
also teachers are really unhelpful when I ask them, they're just like do this do that you will do great but they're not helpful and i don't want to limit my life choices cry :'(
Don't do chemistry unless you really like it and are good at it since it's bloody hard
Well I think that if you take chemistry and then decide you'd rather do languages, it'd be easier to get into a language based course with only spanish than if you tried to get into a engineering course with only physics and maths, if that makes sense?
Reply 4
Original post by Crystalz
Don't do chemistry unless you really like it and are good at it since it's bloody hard

I've heard from lots of people they find it really easy and some that they find it dreadful... thats why I'm quite torn. I do enjoy it though and I'm good at it I guess (sorry that sounds so unmodest) and I know a few people who took it as their 4th option and now want to do chemistry for their whole life hahah thank you for your help though :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by maddywald
Well I think that if you take chemistry and then decide you'd rather do languages, it'd be easier to get into a language based course with only spanish than if you tried to get into a engineering course with only physics and maths, if that makes sense?

that makes a lot of sense actually! Thank you for that :smile: yeah, I agree it would be stupid to do two languages and then end up not going a language based degree and end up struggling to get into more sciencey ones! Thanks for your advice :biggrin:
Original post by annag98
I've heard from lots of people they find it really easy and some that they find it dreadful... thats why I'm quite torn. I do enjoy it though and I'm good at it I guess (sorry that sounds so unmodest) and I know a few people who took it as their 4th option and now want to do chemistry for their whole life hahah thank you for your help though :smile:

Just warning since I was good at it got an A* and struggled because I found I hated it at AS.

Most people regret their options regardless anyway.
Original post by annag98

Hmm I know you hear horror stories about chemistry, but it's honestly such an interesting and rewarding subject! It's difficult at first (isn't everything?) but if you stick at it, it all clicks. :smile:
Original post by annag98
that makes a lot of sense actually! Thank you for that :smile: yeah, I agree it would be stupid to do two languages and then end up not going a language based degree and end up struggling to get into more sciencey ones! Thanks for your advice :biggrin:

Sure, glad I could help! Good luck with it all whatever you decide to take :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Crystalz
Just warning since I was good at it got an A* and struggled because I found I hated it at AS.

Most people regret their options regardless anyway.

I don't think I know one person who doesn't regret at least one subject! Oh well... only time will tell
Reply 10
Original post by Lularose83
Hmm I know you hear horror stories about chemistry, but it's honestly such an interesting and rewarding subject! It's difficult at first (isn't everything?) but if you stick at it, it all clicks. :smile:

Even though GCSEs are meant to be ridiculously easy compared to A-level I found the same thing at the beginning of doing igcse in year 9, I didn't understand a thing partially due to an awful teacher in year 8- but I think I'm gonna give it go next year! We're allowed to change our options up to mid september which is good! thanks for the advice :smile:
I loved Chemistry, so may be a bit biased...

Anyway, I'd say that Chemistry would be really useful in terms of keeping lots of degree options open - e.g. many science degrees (including some of the more biological sciences) like you to have chemistry, and it would be really useful :smile:

Also, quite a few universities only require one language to be able to study languages at university (e.g. a pure Spanish degree, or Spanish with another language ab initio).

Mind you, you've also got to enjoy your A level subjects - you'll be spending a lot more time on each than you did at GCSE, and enjoying them will really motivate you to get top grades :smile:

Have you considered taking five AS levels? You could do it just for the first month or so of sixth form to figure out which subjects you prefer more, and if you find the workload manageable could stick with all of them until the end of the year...

Also, not to complicate things even further but for engineering Further Maths would be super useful - many of the top universities will expect you to take Further Maths for engineering courses, and even for universities that don't it would make the first year of the degree much easier.
Reply 12
Original post by dragonkeeper999
I loved Chemistry, so may be a bit biased...

Anyway, I'd say that Chemistry would be really useful in terms of keeping lots of degree options open - e.g. many science degrees (including some of the more biological sciences) like you to have chemistry, and it would be really useful :smile:

Also, quite a few universities only require one language to be able to study languages at university (e.g. a pure Spanish degree, or Spanish with another language ab initio).

Mind you, you've also got to enjoy your A level subjects - you'll be spending a lot more time on each than you did at GCSE, and enjoying them will really motivate you to get top grades :smile:

Have you considered taking five AS levels? You could do it just for the first month or so of sixth form to figure out which subjects you prefer more, and if you find the workload manageable could stick with all of them until the end of the year...

Also, not to complicate things even further but for engineering Further Maths would be super useful - many of the top universities will expect you to take Further Maths for engineering courses, and even for universities that don't it would make the first year of the degree much easier.

Thank you for your great advice! I do agree that chemistry is going to be the most useful of the two subjects as it opens a lot more options for university and careers etc. I have spoken to some more people who do french and spanish and have not once been told by someone that they think it was a great idea taking them...

I think 5 as levels would be far too much for me omg I can hardly cope with the stress of 10 gcses at the moment lol hahahahaha. We are doing new a levels for sciences next year where it is just one linear course where there are no as or a2 exams, just one big 'a level' at the end of year 13. That's the only problem I'm facing, once I begin a subject there is not much chance of going back ugh. I think I'm gonna put chemistry down as my 4th option for now and then have a think over the summer and once I get my exam results :smile:
Original post by annag98
Thank you for your great advice! I do agree that chemistry is going to be the most useful of the two subjects as it opens a lot more options for university and careers etc. I have spoken to some more people who do french and spanish and have not once been told by someone that they think it was a great idea taking them...

I think 5 as levels would be far too much for me omg I can hardly cope with the stress of 10 gcses at the moment lol hahahahaha. We are doing new a levels for sciences next year where it is just one linear course where there are no as or a2 exams, just one big 'a level' at the end of year 13. That's the only problem I'm facing, once I begin a subject there is not much chance of going back ugh. I think I'm gonna put chemistry down as my 4th option for now and then have a think over the summer and once I get my exam results :smile:

I have one friend who did Italian and French A levels and really enjoyed them, also she ended up at Cambridge which prefers students to have two language A levels for MML - however this is something of a rare exception compared to to other friends who struggled with two languages (apparently they kept getting them all mixed up!) and most unis which only require one language. So, if you REALLY love languages and are definitely planning on studying them for a degree, go for it, if not then one is probably sufficient :smile:

Haha, yes 5 A levels is a lot - if you don't think you could cope with the workload of five definitely don't do it, you'll just end up with five mediocre grades and no social life... Best to concentrate on four, get top grades in them, and still have a bit of spare time to relax :smile:

Urgh, I'm so pleased I completed A levels before all these terrible reforms - having AS levels was a really great way to test how much you actually enjoyed and were good at your subjects, as well as taking a lot of pressure off the A2 year...

Sounds like a good plan - good luck with your results and studying next year! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest